Hello, and welcome to The Lobo Lair ! Is this your first visit?
Register
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,581 Times in 1,329 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 43 Times in 13 Posts

Lobo Talk Feb 12

First Post Banner
    The usual venue at 8:00 mst. Should be a bit painful having to discuss the past two losses but Coach Weir always shows his class and intelligence. You can listen on KKOB, 770 AM and, I believe, through a GoLobos link.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr.M For This Useful Post:

TLL.com Womens Moderator Lobo2x53's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,391 Times in 4,030 Posts
    My Mood
    Fine
    Groan
    Groaned 80 Times in 63 Posts
    Coach Farrar will be there in the 7:00 hour, and for those who have not heard him, he is quite entertaining.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Lobo2x53 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,081 Times in 237 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Where do Ya’ll find out about this? Would like to be there in person, but I’m never 100% sure if it’s really on the schedule until it’s too late. Is UNM and Learfield trying to keep this low key on purpose?

Thanks
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by Street lobo View Post
    Where do Ya’ll find out about this? Would like to be there in person, but I’m never 100% sure if it’s really on the schedule until it’s too late. Is UNM and Learfield trying to keep this low key on purpose?
    Go Lobos site and the SID did a much better job last year in letting us know in advance about such matters. Robert Portnoy did say on the Thursday Lobo Talk that the next one would be today, that is, on the normal Monday night.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to Dr.M For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 10 Times in 5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Street lobo View Post
    Where do Yaíll find out about this? Would like to be there in person, but Iím never 100% sure if itís really on the schedule until itís too late. Is UNM and Learfield trying to keep this low key on purpose?
    There are two Lobo Talks after tonight. The next one is Thursday, Feb 22nd the last one is Monday, Feb 26th. Would love to see you there. Women's coach Mike Bradbury is usually on from 7:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. Coach Paul Weir is on from 8:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. Would love to see many more fans there.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to klwjrw For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you txlobo95's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,212 Times in 7,925 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 465 Times in 260 Posts
    any recaps or links to the show?

Thanks
    Groan
    Coach Weir was on for the first half, Brandon Mason for the second. I only heard some of the last part so I'll summarize what Weir had to say; maybe someone else can fill you in on the rest. He contrasted the bad body language shown in the Boise game at the nine second timeout in a one point game, with the end of game poise shown against San Diego State and UNLV. He felt that the lack of poise then carried over to the Air Force game. He tried not to make excuses for the poor defense in that game but Portnoy helped lead him into acknowledging that Joe's absence and Vlad's seven minutes on the floor didn't help matters. They have worked hard in practice to fix some of these matters and have had good practices since. He has felt that the offense has largely been successful all year, so the defense needs the extra work. Yet he stated that the biggest change from the first AFA game to the second was the increased number of turnovers. Asked about Dane's renewed shooting woes, he expressed full confidence in him and pointed out that he had the highest plus-minus stats in the Air Force game. He said that Dane has a nice-looking shot and has been spending a lot of time in the gym. He was happy that for the first time in a long while he'll have a full team minus Connor. He concluded with his refusal to blame players by taking responsibility for Troy's long suspension. He said that he should have suspended him for one game initially when he was ejected from his first game, which might have sent the appropriate message and helped him then.

12. The Following 11 Users Say Thanks to Dr.M For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 8,713 Times in 2,414 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 202 Times in 120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.M View Post
    ........He concluded with his refusal to blame players by taking responsibility for Troy's long suspension. He said that he should have suspended him for one game initially when he was ejected from his first game, which might have sent the appropriate message and helped him then.
    i do really like the self reflection/continuos improvement aspect to coach's approach. Some would see this as a sign of weakness, but I see it as an acknowledgement (of the obvious) that he's still on a steep learning curve and figuring certain things out.

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thanks to MaxLobo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 10,378 Times in 3,272 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 12 Times in 12 Posts
    The move from starting the show at 6, plus the location of Kellys makes it difficult for me to go. Start at 6 again and I would probably go some. Usually am able to listen.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to ldlbfn For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 8 Times in 7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxLobo View Post
    i do really like the self reflection/continuos improvement aspect to coach's approach. Some would see this as a sign of weakness, but I see it as an acknowledgement (of the obvious) that he's still on a steep learning curve and figuring certain things out.

He takes the blame when they lose...and credits the guys when they win. No wonder he recruits well.

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thanks to LoboDawg For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you timvracer's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,082 Times in 3,355 Posts
    My Mood
    Breezy
    Groan
    Groaned 165 Times in 108 Posts
    This is just basic table stakes. That's why it's so astonishing and noteworthy when a coach doesn't do it, and instead blames others or circumstances. That never looks "strong" IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by LoboDawg View Post
    He takes the blame when they lose...and credits the guys when they win. No wonder he recruits well.
    -- timvracer --
    "As of Saturday night, it would appear the Mountain West Conference has two NCAA tournament-worthy teams. As long as they can find the remains of one of them."

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thanks to timvracer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,523 Times in 1,205 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 95 Times in 58 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxLobo View Post
    For the life of me I cannot understand why some think that reflection and introspection are signs of weakness.

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thanks to attydude For This Useful Post:

Thread Information