Hello, and welcome to The Lobo Lair ! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,837 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 12 Times in 12 Posts

a call for Beky Hammon to coach CSU men

First Post Banner

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thanks to ldlbfn For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Sorry, but I think the CSU job would be a step down from where she is. Dealing with the chaos of CSU athletics, boosters and recruiting would be too much of a pain for someone being groomed for an NBA coaching position.

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thanks to UWyo85 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,118 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 104 Times in 43 Posts
    CSU would be foolish to try this experiment. Just because she has been an assistant coach for the Spurs does not make her ready to lead a D1 college team. Different dynamic altogether.....a path that I am glad the Lobo's did not pursue either!

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thanks to ArkansasLobo For This Useful Post:

7. The Following 9 Users Have Groaned ArkansasLobo For This Un-Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 656 Times in 117 Posts
    Chris Jans. The Aggies don't want to pay their coaches so they bolt quick down there everytime.

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 49 Times in 18 Posts
    I agree, 3 years as an assistant in the NBA is a pretty big gamble experience wise. Would just be a social experiment and marketing gimmick at this point.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thanks to unm04 For This Useful Post:

11. The Following 4 Users Have Groaned unm04 For This Un-Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 11,530 Times in 4,186 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 134 Times in 63 Posts
    CSU coaching job is the "worst in the MWC." Becky pls continue and moving up in the NBA nothing but good things for you in the NBA with the Spurs.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to wolf1960 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 17,406 Times in 3,743 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 238 Times in 151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by unm04 View Post
    I agree, 3 years as an assistant in the NBA is a pretty big gamble experience wise. Would just be a social experiment and marketing gimmick at this point.
    Are you saying she couldn't do the job? It would be pure marketing? I doubt that, since an attitude like you are displaying here shows that "marketing gimmick" would do the opposite of the desired outcome.

Becky was a beast in college. I remember watching her in the WAC T a couple of times and being amazed at how good she was.

She would have hurdles in recruiting I think, fighting the "girls can coach mens bball" attitude that young men may have and that is a risk CSU would have to consider. But it's gonna happen. And it's going to take someone very talented and strong willed coupled with a hiring body that can think long term for it to work.
    My position as a moderator adds no validity to my opinions. I am a fan just like you and as such when I express a view it represents me and me alone and carries no more weight than any other fan other than the fact that I am always right. (Like everyone else.)

15. The Following 17 Users Say Thanks to Peacesells For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by Peacesells View Post
    Are you saying she couldn't do the job? It would be pure marketing? I doubt that, since an attitude like you are displaying here shows that "marketing gimmick" would do the opposite of the desired outcome.

Becky was a beast in college. I remember watching her in the WAC T a couple of times and being amazed at how good she was.

She would have hurdles in recruiting I think, fighting the "girls can coach mens bball" attitude that young men may have and that is a risk CSU would have to consider. But it's gonna happen. And it's going to take someone very talented and strong willed coupled with a hiring body that can think long term for it to work.
    I don't think she could do the job! Having success playing in college has NOTHING to do with success as a coach. How many Hall of Fame players have failed as coaches....a bunch! How many bench warmers have succeeded as coaches...a bunch! The hurdles of a female trying to coach a men's team in college are much larger then the hurdles of trying to coach an NBA team. She needs to stick with the NBA game.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to ArkansasLobo For This Useful Post:

18. The Following 9 Users Have Groaned ArkansasLobo For This Un-Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by ArkansasLobo View Post
    I don't think she could do the job! Having success playing in college has NOTHING to do with success as a coach. How many Hall of Fame players have failed as coaches....a bunch! How many bench warmers have succeeded as coaches...a bunch! The hurdles of a female trying to coach a men's team in college are much larger then the hurdles of trying to coach an NBA team. She needs to stick with the NBA game.
    Most coaches fail. That's not a good qualifier for your argument. You are making a judgement about her without knowing her connections or skills. You just see she's an assistant for the spurs. So your statement that she needs to stick to the nba is lacking the requisite knowledge about her skills/connections that is needed to be so definitive.

It is short sighted and can lead others to believe that your bias is showing.
    My position as a moderator adds no validity to my opinions. I am a fan just like you and as such when I express a view it represents me and me alone and carries no more weight than any other fan other than the fact that I am always right. (Like everyone else.)

20. The Following 7 Users Say Thanks to Peacesells For This Useful Post:

21. The Following User has GroanedPeacesells For This Un-Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,788 Times in 1,183 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 416 Times in 129 Posts
    Sounds like the worst job in America.

Not that she's not qualified, why would she choose this dumpster fire for this landmark opportunity.

Also, before you get too deep into this thread, consider most thought Weir wasn't qualified and some still don't think he's proved anything so ......... If you go by this board, we'd still be looking for a coach.
    Last edited by BobOso; 1 Week Ago at 11:34 AM.
    "I led the league in 'Go get 'em next time.'" - Bob Uecker

23. The Following 5 Users Say Thanks to BobOso For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 49 Times in 18 Posts
    I am saying that considering any candidate with only 3 years of experience as an NBA assistant coach and 1 game head coaching experience for a D1 head coach position would not happen under normal circumstances. Look back to how many doubted and questioned hiring Borrego at UNM and he had 15 years experience as an NBA/college assistant and half a season experience as a head coach in the NBA. Playing experience gives you strong knowledge of the game but is not indicative of ability to coach.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to unm04 For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you UNMerciful_1's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,131 Times in 2,949 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 264 Times in 151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by unm04 View Post
    I am saying that considering any candidate with only 3 years of experience as an NBA assistant coach and 1 game head coaching experience for a D1 head coach position would not happen under normal circumstances. Look back to how many doubted and questioned hiring Borrego at UNM and he had 15 years experience as an NBA/college assistant and half a season experience as a head coach in the NBA. Playing experience gives you strong knowledge of the game but is not indicative of ability to coach.
    I would say winning a summer league championship would be an indication of her ability as a coach. After all there were 23 other coaches who didn't win. As for her only having 3 years of experience, in normal circumstances you would be correct. However, she is an alum of the school. Schools sometimes disregard experience when one of their own is involved. Witness Chris Mullin at St. Johns. Imagine for one minute that Danny Granger's name was floated during our last coaching search. I guarantee you that most(not all) fans would have been for it. One other thing to consider is that it would be breaking down a wall. That would be enough for some people to take the job. Being able to be the first women's D1 basketball coach of a men's team might be something that motivates her. The CSU job is probably somewhere between the #5 and #7 job in the conference, so it would be a nice feather in the cap for any coach that could win there consistently.

27. The Following 8 Users Say Thanks to UNMerciful_1 For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you UNM Class of 1972's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,195 Times in 3,560 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 575 Times in 275 Posts
    I think she would do a great job. At least worth a try. Think of all of the pathetic men that have been Head Coaches and U.S. Presidents yet there has never been a woman in these jobs. A lot better than hiring a recycled coach or a male with even less experience than Becky.

29. The Following 10 Users Say Thanks to UNM Class of 1972 For This Useful Post:

30. The Following 2 Users Have Groaned UNM Class of 1972 For This Un-Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you timvracer's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,802 Times in 3,300 Posts
    My Mood
    Breezy
    Groan
    Groaned 162 Times in 107 Posts
    Honestly, it is going to take some organizations taking chances. The fact that it is unique, and possibly part "marketing" is fine if that makes it happen. I have no doubt, zero, that the right women can coach a D1 men's basketball team as good as the best men, but the ramp is much higher for that to happen because of what we "know" today. I don't call it sexism, or other labels that try to demonize folks... kids are used to being coached by men, and it would be a change. There is definitely a curve to be climbed with what folks are used to and comfortable with. Jackie Robinson had to do the same thing. We have to accept that the odds are long for ANY coach to succeed in any new job, so there will likely be cases where women get the chance and fail. This does not mean that a woman cannot coach D1, it means it takes time.

I really hope CSU does it, or some D1 program. I am not sure it is the best or most sure path for success for them, but I really would love to see this happen. I'd be super interested and watch the games... I do think it would help interest and viewership!
    -- timvracer --
    "As of Saturday night, it would appear the Mountain West Conference has two NCAA tournament-worthy teams. As long as they can find the remains of one of them."

32. The Following 5 Users Say Thanks to timvracer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,398 Times in 1,479 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 43 Times in 27 Posts
    CSU would be fools not to offer her the job. She's been by the side of the two best coaches in NBA history for three years. She's a future NBA head coach. If it were a male assistant coach that was a former star player for CSU, no one would be questioning the "experience" of this candidate.
    "I wish we played in front of a crowd at home like this." - Bobby Knight on playing in The Pit.

34. The Following 7 Users Say Thanks to junior2430 For This Useful Post:

35. The Following 2 Users Have Groaned junior2430 For This Un-Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Most coaches fail. That's not a good qualifier for your argument. You are making a judgement about her without knowing her connections or skills. You just see she's an assistant for the spurs. So your statement that she needs to stick to the nba is lacking the requisite knowledge about her skills/connections that is needed to be so definitive.

It is short sighted and can lead others to believe that your bias is showing.
    Only a matter of time until someone spouted this horse ****....because I don't think she will make a good coach I am showing my bias???
    You made a judgement about her because you saw her play in a frickin WAC tournament...and you are going to preach at me about making a judgement.....REALLY!! hahaha I made it perfectly clear to those reading without rose colored glasses what my judgement was based on.....if anyone is biased in this conversation it is you......I saw her play in a tournament once....sheesh, that should qualify her no doubt!!!!

37. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to ArkansasLobo For This Useful Post:

38. The Following 7 Users Have Groaned ArkansasLobo For This Un-Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by ArkansasLobo View Post
    Only a matter of time until someone spouted this horse ****....because I don't think she will make a good coach I am showing my bias???
    You made a judgement about her because you saw her play in a frickin WAC tournament...and you are going to preach at me about making a judgement.....REALLY!! hahaha I made it perfectly clear to those reading without rose colored glasses what my judgement was based on.....if anyone is biased in this conversation it is you......I saw her play in a tournament once....sheesh, that should qualify her no doubt!!!!
    Slow your emotional roll there Ark. My comment about her playing in college was not a qualifier. It was an observation about her playing in college. I also stated there would be hurdles to overcome.

If you knew your statement would illicit the reaction it did..then why make it? Your statement did show bias by using hogwash to support it. You did nothing to support your reasoning for not thinking she'd make a good coach. With evidence that a couple of the NBA's brightest have faith in her abilities you should provide more evidence as to why she wouldn't be other than she only has 3 seasons as an assistant.

Coach Alford was a HC on his FIRST gig. And there's plenty of examples like that that show success. There are also many examples of failure. So please point out in your original post how what your stated supported your point that she wouldn't succeed? Cause as you posted, it does leave room for people to suspect bias.

40. The Following 7 Users Say Thanks to Peacesells For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Remember, this is a woman who got an interview for the Bucks GM position. She has credentials.

42. The Following 6 Users Say Thanks to Peacesells For This Useful Post:

43. The Following User has GroanedPeacesells For This Un-Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,499 Times in 795 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 117 Times in 49 Posts
    Remember, this is a woman who got an interview for the Bucks GM position. She has credentials.
    I don't think getting an interview gives someone "credentials".

What hammond needs to do...get a head coaching job, at a small college, ie csu-pueblo, adams st. n.m. highlands etc. prove herself at that level, then she can move up to div-1 high major basketball.

45. The Following User Says Thank You to red wolf rob For This Useful Post:

46. The Following User has Groanedred wolf rob For This Un-Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you MaxLobo's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,144 Times in 2,279 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 195 Times in 113 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by red wolf rob View Post

What hammond needs to do...get a head coaching job, at a small college, ie csu-pueblo, adams st. n.m. highlands etc. prove herself at that level, then she can move up to div-1 high major basketball.
    Or, like some other folks, skip that part and get the best current job possible.

48. The Following 4 Users Say Thanks to MaxLobo For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you NMFANINOKC's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,177 Times in 5,497 Posts
    My Mood
    Buzzed
    Groan
    Groaned 1,809 Times in 1,146 Posts
    Uh, no.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,866 Times in 1,936 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 98 Times in 79 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goAK1 View Post
    Chris Jans. The Aggies don't want to pay their coaches so they bolt quick down there everytime.
    Wasnt Menzies down there for like 10 years?

51. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to jbarr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan

Don't necessarily disagree with your second point..but you don't get interviewed for the GM job at the highest level of the sport without credentials. Pretty safe to infer that she has them.

53. The Following 4 Users Say Thanks to Peacesells For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 30 Times in 16 Posts
    I was one of the people calling for her hire when we were looking for a coach. (This was before I drank seven gallons of Weir kool-aid.) I think you'd get an interesting group of young men who would be the type to stand up under pressure.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 274 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 78 Times in 30 Posts
    So you really think that NBA franchises interview non-qualified people willy nilly? I'm sure that they have that time to waste ...

56. The Following 4 Users Say Thanks to cjalico For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you Digital Lobo's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 45,819 Times in 10,828 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 652 Times in 409 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbarr View Post
    Wasnt Menzies down there for like 10 years?
    I was thinking the same thing and then I remembered that Theus was there for two seasons and Weir was there for one.

I for one would not be surprised to see Jans split in the next season or two.

A mile high and louder than howl

58. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to Digital Lobo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 9,837 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 12 Times in 12 Posts
    Back when she was still playing but showing interest in coaching, I used to think flan should have tried to hire her as an assistant. Could still play WNBA in summer, wondered what that might have done for recruiting on the women's team

60. The Following User Says Thank You to ldlbfn For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,526 Times in 309 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 10 Times in 7 Posts
    I love this thread! Even moreso if it was in the off-season.....

Thanks
    Thanked 2,509 Times in 734 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 285 Times in 80 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cjalico View Post
    So you really think that NBA franchises interview non-qualified people willy nilly? I'm sure that they have that time to waste ...
    You’d be surprised how much time is wasted on a professional level. Just because ppl are at certain level in their career doesn’t necessarily mean qualified.
    -Sent from my Nintendo Game & Watch

63. The Following User Says Thank You to boingee For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 274 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 78 Times in 30 Posts
    I grow very tired of sexism and racism in our country. In this case, sexism. The naysayers on this threat are so blatant and transparent, trying to couch it in other terms, and I'm tired of it. GET OVER IT. If she's qualified - and clearly others think she is - she is a viable candidate. Maybe not the best candidate, but not a publicity stunt. The majority of coaches for women's teams are men, so being of a different sex than your team HAS NO BEARING ON SUCCESS. How many times, in hundreds of arenas, has it been said that a woman wasn't capable of "this" job just because she was female? I am seeing this here, now, in this thread. This is shameful.

65. The Following 7 Users Say Thanks to cjalico For This Useful Post:

66. The Following 5 Users Have Groaned cjalico For This Un-Useful Post:

Thread Information