Hello, and welcome to The Lobo Lair ! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Its Mr Lobo Lair to you loboaddict's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,221 Posts
    My Mood
    Cool
    Groan
    Groaned 85 Times in 59 Posts
    First Post Banner
    Quote Originally Posted by UWyo85 View Post
    So why would UNM administration want to fire Davie? We all know he came in a rescued the football program. Davie hasn't been tied to the Krebs golfing or other athletic department blunders/fiascos.

I can't believe our new AD ist rying to fire him. What would Abdallah gain by this "last act" as his tenure as President ends?
    It's not uncommon for new AD's to want to bring in their "own" head coaches for the major sports. And UNM did just finish 3-9.

For UNM's sake, I hope there is more to this story than has been reported. Logically, you would think that would be the case (but some of you have more faith in the administration than I do). I hope there are more "facts" that UNM is basing its decisions on. Otherwise, imo they have really bungled this whole thing, and it could end up costing them more $$$ and hurt their reputation. It might make future head coaching candidates think twice about this job since the administration does not support their head coach.

I don't know how this can't cause irreparable damage between UNM and Davie. How could Davie continue to want to work for an administration that didn't believe and trust him. It might be best for them to part ways, but there is no way that UNM could afford to do that.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to loboaddict For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 52,983 Times in 12,534 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 687 Times in 396 Posts
    It could be Susanna's lapdog, Rob Doughty, that has the actual vendetta against Davie. I don't believe that Davie kisses the ring like Craig Neal did.

New prez coming in but she may be powerless. UNM really needs to be cleaned out from the top down. That can start when a new governor is in place in less than a year.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thanks to LoboMike For This Useful Post:

5. The Following 3 Users Have Groaned LoboMike For This Un-Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you UNM Class of 1972's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,184 Times in 3,556 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 575 Times in 275 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UWyo85 View Post
    This reinforces that there has to be more going on that just the preliminary report. Abdallah and the Board aren't fools and have to realize the potential for a public lawsuit. They must have more information than has been publicly released. A lawsuit by Davie could compel the release of this additional information. I don't believe the Board is trying to deliberately hurt the football program, that would be counter-productive to the whole university.

Obviously, the entire story has not been released.
    They may just be trying to cover their butts so they can say they did something. Maybe they feel a suspension for "interfering with the UNM police investigation" will be enough to show they have not swept things under the table. Of course that will never satisfy little wimps like Libit and others who hate UNM and the athletic program, especially football. After the new UNM President starts in a few weeks maybe things will settle down. Or perhaps not. There are a lot of buzzards circling UNM right now.

7. The Following 7 Users Say Thanks to UNM Class of 1972 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    One regent resigned today. Just an indication of the larger turmoil at the top of UNM that goes way beyond the Davie issue.

https://www.abqjournal.com/1133565/u...urnal%20oembed

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thanks to LoboMike For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you loboaddict's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,221 Posts
    My Mood
    Cool
    Groan
    Groaned 85 Times in 59 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LoboMike View Post
    One regent resigned today. Just an indication of the larger turmoil at the top of UNM that goes way beyond the Davie issue.

https://www.abqjournal.com/1133565/u...urnal%20oembed
    Not the one that I was hoping would resign. I don't think it's coincidence that chaos at UNM went to another level when the current President and Vice President of the Board of Regents were appointed.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to loboaddict For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,602 Times in 1,435 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 650 Times in 148 Posts
    Davie's reaction here..
    http://www.kob.com/sports/unm-new-me...88912/?cat=502

( Sent from KOB 4 )

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to NightWolf For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you elmassuave's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,270 Times in 1,864 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 96 Times in 48 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NightWolf View Post
    Davie's reaction here..
    http://www.kob.com/sports/unm-new-me...88912/?cat=502

( Sent from KOB 4 )
    Coach Davie is such a classy person...
    "It is the leader's responsibility to make sure the follower is following" Dr. Robert Asbridge

15. The Following 10 Users Say Thanks to elmassuave For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 17,381 Times in 3,736 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 238 Times in 151 Posts
    What happened to football the last time we got a new AD?
    My position as a moderator adds no validity to my opinions. I am a fan just like you and as such when I express a view it represents me and me alone and carries no more weight than any other fan other than the fact that I am always right. (Like everyone else.)

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to Peacesells For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 207,052 Times in 26,680 Posts
    My Mood
    Busy
    Groan
    Groaned 877 Times in 470 Posts
    New AD wants his own coaches. What’s the surprise here?

Cutting funding, public shaming... UNM will have a new coach sooner rather than later. LSU guys, big football school, he wants his people.
    #UNMerciful

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thanks to Mark For This Useful Post:

20. The Following User has GroanedMark For This Un-Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post

Cutting funding, public shaming... UNM will have a new coach sooner rather than later. LSU guys, big football school, he wants his people.
    New president could want her own AD. The guy should not get too comfortable himself.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thanks to LoboMike For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you Doublealum's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,255 Times in 4,676 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 615 Times in 276 Posts
    Just so we are being accurate, the Regents did not "deny" his appeal, they declined to consider allowing any "appeal"/challenge of the acting President's decision. Therefore, the Regents have passed no judgement on whether the suspensions was appropriate or not. This decline to hear the "appeal" as opposed to actually reviewing the evidence and UNM policies is allowed under its rules.

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thanks to Doublealum For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you Lobodawg92's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,960 Times in 6,234 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 159 Times in 108 Posts

Bradbury and Weir next? or just taking pot shots at football?
    Go Lobos! Go Nunn! Go Sam! Go Joe!

If your considering getting a TESLA, please PM me! I may have a discount code.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thanks to Lobodawg92 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    "Davie was asked if the controversy surrounding him had made him think about quitting."

“Absolutely not,” he said. “I’ve got so much invested in all of this here … and I know we’ve made things better here."

“Things happen, and you deal with it and you move on the best you can, with class.”
    https://www.abqjournal.com/1133858/d...fect-team.html
    "It is the leader's responsibility to make sure the follower is following" Dr. Robert Asbridge

28. The Following 11 Users Say Thanks to elmassuave For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan

Wanting your own guy is one thing. Public shaming is irresponsible and dirty imo. Even though I was against it when Krebs did to Rocky he didn't in a much better way. You don't burn a coach publicly and then think you are going to have new coaches eager to come here and risk the same treatment.
    My position as a moderator adds no validity to my opinions. I am a fan just like you and as such when I express a view it represents me and me alone and carries no more weight than any other fan other than the fact that I am always right. (Like everyone else.)

30. The Following 6 Users Say Thanks to Peacesells For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan

Wanting your own guy is one thing. Public shaming is irresponsible and dirty imo. Even though I was against it when Krebs did to Rocky he didn't in a much better way. You don't burn a coach publicly and then think you are going to have new coaches eager to come here and risk the same treatment.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Peacesells For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 191 Times in 48 Posts
    All of this situation is BS. The best coach ever hired at UNM is voted out by 6 regents with his appeal. And then his suspension starts Sat. They should have waited until the end of spring practice. What a royal screw up.

34. The Following 3 Users Say Thanks to jopoe For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,198 Times in 777 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 183 Times in 81 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jopoe View Post
    All of this situation is BS. The best coach ever hired at UNM is voted out by 6 regents with his appeal. And then his suspension starts Sat. They should have waited until the end of spring practice. What a royal screw up.
    that would be contrary to what has been published by the journal.

University of New Mexico football coach Bob Davie said Wednesday he has been assured his 30-day suspension would not be imposed during the Lobos’ spring practice, which began on Friday and will extend into March.

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you Lobo_for_life's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,199 Times in 2,554 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 2,424 Times in 1,848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Clubmaker View Post
    that would be contrary to what has been published by the journal.

University of New Mexico football coach Bob Davie said Wednesday he has been assured his 30-day suspension would not be imposed during the Lobos’ spring practice, which began on Friday and will extend into March.
    https://www.abqjournal.com/1134203/u...-saturday.html

Abdallah goes back on his word. It looks like he's doing everything he can to destroy a good man. It doesn't speak well for his character. For some reason Abdallah and regents have an ax to grind.

In addition to being suspended without cause, it also appears that he is a victim of civil rights violations. Davie should have his attorneys begin preparing the lawsuit. Abdallah and regents should be named as co-defendants.
    Last edited by Lobo_for_life; 6 Days Ago at 01:02 AM.

37. The Following 6 Users Say Thanks to Lobo_for_life For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 12 Times in 9 Posts
    I think the AD is just as crooked as UNM interim.! UNM admin is a crooked disaster and it killing what should be something most sports fan enjoy football obviously! It’s been turned into political propaganda to feed their own political agenda! Again keep it out of sports!!!!!!!
    "New Mexico wins. New Mexico wins!"
    -Mike Roberts

39. The Following 4 Users Say Thanks to Lobo22 For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you UNM Class of 1972's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,184 Times in 3,556 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 575 Times in 275 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lobo22 View Post
    I think the AD is just as crooked as UNM interim.! UNM admin is a crooked disaster and it killing what should be something most sports fan enjoy football obviously! It’s been turned into political propaganda to feed their own political agenda! Again keep it out of sports!!!!!!!
    The AD has only been on his job a few months so how did you reach that conclusion? I have no idea what the AD is thinking. I imagine he is just following the UNM President and the Regents in carrying out what they want and waiting until the new President arrives. I so not think anyone is "crooked". I think they are managing by the fear of doing nothing so they are doing something no matter how reactionary and unwise it is. The test will be when Davie's 30 day suspension ends and what happens next. Will the matter be closed or will there be on-going harassment by the regents and the new UNM President. Only time will tell. I just hope Coach Nunez knows how to coach this football team the next 28 days. Maybe he will teach them the full court press.

41. The Following User Says Thank You to UNM Class of 1972 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by UNM Class of 1972 View Post
    The AD has only been on his job a few months so how did you reach that conclusion? I have no idea what the AD is thinking. I imagine he is just following the UNM President and the Regents in carrying out what they want and waiting until the new President arrives. I so not think anyone is "crooked". I think they are managing by the fear of doing nothing so they are doing something no matter how reactionary and unwise it is. The test will be when Davie's 30 day suspension ends and what happens next. Will the matter be closed or will there be on-going harassment by the regents and the new UNM President. Only time will tell. I just hope Coach Nunez knows how to coach this football team the next 28 days. Maybe he will teach them the full court press.
    Compare what Nunez said with what the incoming President cited as her most significant career achievements:

"Under her direction, the university established the Office of Civil Rights and Title IX. As interim president at Florida State, Stokes created a task force to address sexual and domestic violence and spearheaded the university's "kNOw MORE" campaign."

http://news.unm.edu/news/garnett-s-s...-of-new-mexico

Nuñez said,
    “I am committed to making the UNM athletic department...a leader in diversity and inclusion.”

------------

Personally, I have never heard an A.D. talk that way before. So, perhaps he is already communicating with the incoming President...

43. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to elmassuave For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,266 Times in 531 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 674 Times in 136 Posts
    Anybody at the presser?? I understand the support Davie received from Nunez was lukewarm, at best?

45. The Following User Says Thank You to Darkside For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 656 Times in 117 Posts
    Can someone explain how this won't affect recruiting? I know a lot of you think he "rescued" our program and how we *automatically* will get another Locksley next time we hire a coach. But you don't think all these issues with him are gonna persuade recruits to look elsewhere? I know how impressive that sub .500 record is but I am willing to bet Nunez can bring in someone better with fewer hr issues to boot.

47. The Following User Says Thank You to goAK1 For This Useful Post:

48. The Following 2 Users Have Groaned goAK1 For This Un-Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by elmassuave View Post
    Compare what Nunez said with what the incoming President cited as her most significant career achievements:

"Under her direction, the university established the Office of Civil Rights and Title IX. As interim president at Florida State, Stokes created a task force to address sexual and domestic violence and spearheaded the university's "kNOw MORE" campaign."

Nuñez said,
    “I am committed to making the UNM athletic department...a leader in diversity and inclusion.”

------------

Personally, I have never heard an A.D. talk that way before. So, perhaps he is already communicating with the incoming President...
    How on God's green earth is UNM athletics NOT diverse and inclusive?! Really makes Nunez's statement almost moot.

It's apparent they'd like Davie to resign.

Thanks
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by elmassuave View Post

Nuñez said,

------------

How on God's green earth is UNM athletics NOT diverse and inclusive?! Really makes Nunez's statement almost moot.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,386 Times in 1,500 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 1,392 Times in 1,015 Posts
    You guys are sure jumping to a lot of conclusions.

52. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to DWL For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Busy
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by Lobodawg92 View Post
    Seriously Cliff. Give it up and live in reality already. You don’t like reading it. Sorry. Not my fault.
    #UNMerciful

Thanks
    My Mood
    Busy
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by Lobodawg92 View Post
    Seriously Cliff. Give it up and live in reality already. You don’t like reading it. Sorry. Not my fault.
    #UNMerciful

Thanks
    My Mood
    Busy
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by jopoe View Post
    Rocky??
    #UNMerciful

56. The Following User has GroanedMark For This Un-Useful Post:

DWL

Thanks
    My Mood
    Busy
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by Lobo_for_life View Post

No! Leave football alone!!!!
    #UNMerciful

58. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Thread Information