Hello, and welcome to The Lobo Lair ! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Thanked 207,050 Times in 26,680 Posts
    My Mood
    Busy
    Groan
    Groaned 877 Times in 470 Posts
    First Post Banner
    BTW. Make no mistake. Nunez gets Davies back if he doesn’t lose thw last 7 games. If he doesn’t have the worst GPA of his career this last year. If we don’t have rape allegations and him allegedly supporting finding dirt on a “whore”.
    #UNMerciful

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

3. The Following User has GroanedMark For This Un-Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 207,050 Times in 26,680 Posts
    My Mood
    Busy
    Groan
    Groaned 877 Times in 470 Posts
    BTW. Make no mistake. Nunez gets Davies back if he doesn’t lose thw last 7 games. If he doesn’t have the worst GPA of his career this last year. If we don’t have rape allegations and him allegedly supporting finding dirt on a “whore”.
    #UNMerciful

Thanks
    Thanked 1,266 Times in 531 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 674 Times in 136 Posts
    I am really not going to be surprised if they announce a 'mutual parting' in the next few weeks with Davie walking away with a reduced but still nice buyout check in his hands. Apparently Athletics has a fresh $1.3m burning a hole in their pockets. I can't think of any other reason for this 'suspension' at this time other than trying send a strong message he has overstayed his welcome.

https://www.abqjournal.com/1130678/u...gent-says.html
    Last edited by Darkside; 5 Days Ago at 03:05 PM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to Darkside For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,266 Times in 531 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 674 Times in 136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goAK1 View Post
    Can someone explain how this won't affect recruiting? I know a lot of you think he "rescued" our program and how we *automatically* will get another Locksley next time we hire a coach. But you don't think all these issues with him are gonna persuade recruits to look elsewhere? I know how impressive that sub .500 record is but I am willing to bet Nunez can bring in someone better with fewer hr issues to boot.
    With all this new cash and the Regents ready to wipe away Lobo Athletics debt, they might be feeling empowered to piss away a lot more $$$. Otherwise, with what they are realistically able to pay, who can they get better than Davie for the price? Really, they have been lucky to have a coach of his caliber the last 6 years. This smells like Rocky/bringing in a miracle worker all over again.
    Last edited by Darkside; 5 Days Ago at 03:13 PM.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thanks to Darkside For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you Lobodawg92's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,960 Times in 6,234 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 159 Times in 108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Seriously Cliff. Give it up and live in reality already. You don’t like reading it. Sorry. Not my fault.
    I ask a serious question. If he wants his own coaches, whose next on the choping block? Why is it only football? Now you say if davie had not lost the last 7 games they would Havre his back? That is more irritating to me. They are doing this not based on the accusations, but based on performance. Call a spade a spade and be done with it if that is the case.
    Go Lobos! Go Nunn! Go Sam! Go Joe!

If your considering getting a TESLA, please PM me! I may have a discount code.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Lobodawg92 For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you Lobo_for_life's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,197 Times in 2,554 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 2,424 Times in 1,848 Posts
    Who is this "Davies" guy you're talking about?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Lobo_for_life For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you elmassuave's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,270 Times in 1,864 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 96 Times in 48 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lobo_for_life View Post
    How on God's green earth is UNM athletics NOT diverse and inclusive?! Really makes Nunez's statement almost moot.

It's apparent they'd like Davie to resign.
    "Of the thousands of coaches who work in all sports in NCAA Division I, just a handful are openly gay or lesbian."
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...rell/73409216/
    "It is the leader's responsibility to make sure the follower is following" Dr. Robert Asbridge

14. The Following User Says Thank You to elmassuave For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,112 Times in 1,253 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 93 Times in 42 Posts
    Lets hire Katie Sowers away from the 49ers if Davie resigns!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,748 Times in 1,593 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 98 Times in 64 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lobo22 View Post
    This is ridiculous on all sides of the court! complete non-sense from incompetent people! Feel sorry for our couch to have deal with a power hungry individual who can't admit when wrong! Sad situation!!
    I support Davie and the program, but what he did is wrong. And I will never feel sorry for the highest paid employee of the state. Just accept it, move on, and improve that this doesn't happen again.

17. The Following User has Groanedhobo For This Un-Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by hobo View Post
    I support Davie and the program, but what he did is wrong. And I will never feel sorry for the highest paid employee of the state. Just accept it, move on, and improve that this doesn't happen again.
    So what did he do? Remember -- the report was deemed inconclusive by the reporters themselves.

19. The Following 9 Users Say Thanks to Lobo_for_life For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Nuñez said, “I am committed to making the UNM athletic department...a leader in diversity and inclusion.”

Shouldn't he be striving for his programs to compete at the highest levels by having the best coaches and student athletes regardless of race, creed, or religion? This statement certainly says nothing like that.

21. The Following 6 Users Say Thanks to Lobo_for_life For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    If you're any AD you strive to win. If you are trying to do it according to a so called level playing field the whole diversity concern takes care of itself. Hire the best, recruit the best.

I would also point out that given the sketchy nature of the unproven allegations, if Davie were African-American, Hispanic, Muslim, or a woman, this suspension would not be happening.
    Last edited by Lobo_for_life; 4 Days Ago at 10:44 AM.

23. The Following 12 Users Say Thanks to Lobo_for_life For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    I guess the more I think about this, the more it bothers me. I have not taken a stance one way or the other on these actions. Why? I generally wait for investigations to complete and the facts come in and then try to weigh everything. I also remember some of the issues coach has had in the past. If coach said and did the things he is accused of, then yes, action (strong action) needs to be taken. I must confess, I'm bothered that action is taken without proving he violated UNM policy. I think if anyone here had 3 (count'em, 3) investigations undertaken against their character, there would be someone who would find fault with any of us. Did we flip someone off, call them names, act in a deceitful or dishonest way, etc.??? Action w/o proof is my problem with what seems to be occurring.

Again, what about Bradbury. They start off what 15-1 and then lose 6 of the next 9 or something like that, and to weaker teams? How about Weir. How long has it been since a UNM team finished below .500, attendance has been up and down, but poor for many of the games, and the drama has been significant imho. Don't misunderstand, I am strongly behind both of these guys, but if Davie is on the block for performance or they want to bring in their own guys, they are not safe. And IF the poor performance is the reason for the suspension, than this is a smokescreen for the way they are going about it. We already saw cover-up with the whole Locksley incident and I am sick of cover-ups. IF he did these things, prove it and execute if that is the reason for it. IF it is about performance, address the performance openly and honestly.

AND, let's not treat the football program different than we do Men's or Women's hoops.......

25. The Following 4 Users Say Thanks to Lobodawg92 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by ArkansasLobo View Post
    Lets hire Katie Sowers away from the 49ers if Davie resigns!!!
    Sowers has stated her goal is to be an NFL head coach. So, I doubt she would take a position at the college level.
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...lgbt-nfl-coach
    "It is the leader's responsibility to make sure the follower is following" Dr. Robert Asbridge

Thanks
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by elmassuave View Post
    Sowers has stated her goal is to be an NFL head coach. So, I doubt she would take a position at the college level.
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...lgbt-nfl-coach
    hahahaha...I was being a smart a$$.....you must not have read the thread about Becky Hammonds and the CSU hoops position....some of my liberal buddies did not like what I had to say so I was trying to get back into their good graces!!! And what better then a female lesbian applying to coach our football team?

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you Doublealum's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,254 Times in 4,676 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 615 Times in 276 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lobodawg92 View Post
    I guess the more I think about this, the more it bothers me. I have not taken a stance one way or the other on these actions. Why? I generally wait for investigations to complete and the facts come in and then try to weigh everything. I also remember some of the issues coach has had in the past. If coach said and did the things he is accused of, then yes, action (strong action) needs to be taken. I must confess, I'm bothered that action is taken without proving he violated UNM policy. I think if anyone here had 3 (count'em, 3) investigations undertaken against their character, there would be someone who would find fault with any of us. Did we flip someone off, call them names, act in a deceitful or dishonest way, etc.??? Action w/o proof is my problem with what seems to be occurring.

Again, what about Bradbury. They start off what 15-1 and then lose 6 of the next 9 or something like that, and to weaker teams? How about Weir. How long has it been since a UNM team finished below .500, attendance has been up and down, but poor for many of the games, and the drama has been significant imho. Don't misunderstand, I am strongly behind both of these guys, but if Davie is on the block for performance or they want to bring in their own guys, they are not safe. And IF the poor performance is the reason for the suspension, than this is a smokescreen for the way they are going about it. We already saw cover-up with the whole Locksley incident and I am sick of cover-ups. IF he did these things, prove it and execute if that is the reason for it. IF it is about performance, address the performance openly and honestly.

AND, let's not treat the football program different than we do Men's or Women's hoops.......
    Exactly my thoughts - thanks for so expressing! I too have been keeping my powder dry as the facts/evidence has not been revealed in any meaningful way. All we have is allegations with a vague statement saying there was not sufficient evidence to either determine that Davie violated law or UNM policy nor even enough to justify interviewing him + a partial denial by Davie of some of the specific allegations. However, if these allegations are substantiated by actual facts, then this punishment is far too lenient- IMO, again if true, he should be fired and if the interference with a rape investigation is factual, he should be arrested, tried and convicted. If none of the allegations are substaited by provable facts, the interim President should be fired, the Regents replaced and UNM should have to reinstate Davie with all back pay + a damage award for harm to the man's reputation in an amount equal to his annual salary times multiple years - just my opinion - sick & tired of trial, conviction and punishment by allegation alone and no due process - just media (formal and social - including this site) looking for advertising $ &/ or ego boosts using sensationalization. At this point, it's time for an actual transparent investigation with true due prosess.

29. The Following 5 Users Say Thanks to Doublealum For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    hahahaha...I was being a smart a$$.....you must not have read the thread about Becky Hammonds and the CSU hoops position....some of my liberal buddies did not like what I had to say so I was trying to get back into their good graces!!! And what better then a female lesbian applying to coach our football team?
    Mike Sheppard had a losing record as a head coach when UNM hired him. Since the best predictor of future performance is past performance, few Lobo football fans were surprised that Mike Sheppard was fired after five seasons and a pathetic 4-34 conference record. Anyway, I have learned that hiring decisions of Athletic Directors cannot be predicted...

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to elmassuave For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    And what better then a female lesbian applying to coach our football team?
    Would certainly be a lot better than a male lesbian.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to Lobo_for_life For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Would certainly be a lot better than a male lesbian.

Sorry, couldn't resist.
    hahahaha...maybe not....take a female that transitions to a male but likes a female that used to be a male....wait...what?

Thanks
    Groan
    hahahaha...maybe not....take a female that transitions to a male but likes a female that used to be a male....wait...what?
    Sounds like a lot of trips to Trinidad. Hopefully the insurance covers.

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you judas_priest's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,448 Times in 3,603 Posts
    My Mood
    Worried
    Groan
    Groaned 200 Times in 108 Posts
    Given the lack of real information, I think all this speculation is speculative. Assuming at least a modicum or rationality in the president's office and the regents, I would say that there is something there that they could not ignore. (I have represented several public bodies in my career and have some exposure to these kinds of issues - although not in the past 25 years) And, of course, one reason (among others) that we don't know what is happening, is that the rules of the game make it improper, and probably illegal, to disclose information about personnel actions. The only ways this goes public is if Davie takes some step to air it out, or if somebody inside leaks it.

37. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to judas_priest For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by judas_priest View Post
    Given the lack of real information, I think all this speculation is speculative. Assuming at least a modicum or rationality in the president's office and the regents, I would say that there is something there that they could not ignore. (I have represented several public bodies in my career and have some exposure to these kinds of issues - although not in the past 25 years) And, of course, one reason (among others) that we don't know what is happening, is that the rules of the game make it improper, and probably illegal, to disclose information about personnel actions. The only ways this goes public is if Davie takes some step to air it out, or if somebody inside leaks it.
    Bob Davie is as down-to-earth as anyone, and his public statements clearly reflect that he doesn't understand why Abdallah feels justified. Given that, you just get the distinct impression Abdallah has the proverbial ax to grind. He's going to show the old white guy that cultural sensitivity is more important than everything else. If Davie were any other ethnicity, a Muslim, or a woman, the suspension would not have happened.

39. The Following 9 Users Say Thanks to Lobo_for_life For This Useful Post:

40. The Following User has GroanedLobo_for_life For This Un-Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    OK, I went back and read almost all of the available documents. It is a lot of he said, she said. There are some oddities (lost video by the police comments and such), but if that is what the suspension is based on, I just don't see enough yet. I could see training for coach, as well as the entire sports department it sounds like. Maybe there is more that is known than is in there reports, or perhaps some of the blacked out text has stronger evidence. Perhaps the coach who said he would say more under oath has spoken to Abdallah(sp?) directly, but I don't see where there is enough evidence from these reports for punishment in addition to shoring up university policies. The one report indites the entire athletics department, so I again question why football is the only one singled out. Maybe the University should be looking at putting up video cameras and recording devices if they feel it is warranted. Gain proof, not just hearsay.

I will point out that when there are this many people involved, what may be a joke to most may be a major insult to others. We don't all have the same backgrounds and understanding needs to go all ways as much as possible, just as trying to be cautious about what you say is needed as well.

One OT thing I find odd, is that we expect correctness from everyone, but our music has it sprayed all over in the lyrics, and that is just fine?????........

42. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to Lobodawg92 For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you UNM Class of 1972's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,184 Times in 3,556 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 575 Times in 275 Posts
    Bob Davie is as down-to-earth as anyone, and his public statements clearly reflect that he doesn't understand why Abdallah feels justified. Given that, you just get the distinct impression Abdallah has the proverbial ax to grind. He's going to show the old white guy that cultural sensitivity is more important than everything else. If Davie were any other ethnicity, a Muslim, or a woman, the suspension would not have happened.
    I only agree with your first sentence. I think your remaining sentences are bunk. I do not think Abdallah has an ax to grind I just think he is in a tough position. I don't think Davie should have been suspended but if 30 days is all he gets and he returns as Coach next year and beyond then I am OK with it. Unless more comes to light, I will be very upset if they do more.

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you Doublealum's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,254 Times in 4,676 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 615 Times in 276 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by judas_priest View Post
    JP - I too have been involved with public entities and decision making by such entities and more recently than your experience. However, I also have some of that same experience as you over 25 yrs. ago and I agree that normally and especially back then, no action would be taken without at least as you said, there was "something there." I also acknowledge that you are correct about the rules regarding personal matters. However, two things I think should be highlighted: 1) unfortunately, imo, in these days of heightened "gotcha" media (traditional & social) and even more unfortunately, the public mindset, these public and even private entities are much more likely to take action even if the normal/traditional level of actual evidence is not present but the allegations are incendiary - it appears to me that public entities and public folks in decision making positions would rather bear what ever comes from an aggrieved individual than appear to have taken no action in the face of the highly publicized bombshell allegations; and, 2) even though this is presently a "personal matter" and therefore lots may not be revealed, if Davie decides to sue, it can become totally public, including the accusers identity their deposition and possibly trial testimony as well as Abdualla's, the investigators. the Regents, police and Davie's plus even those players, coaches etc. that support Davies' postilion. IMO, at this point of the damage to Davie's reputation, he might want to consider such a suit just to have everything made public and let the chips fall. I recognize that Davie may just decide at this point of his career, he might just want to let it go and get back to coaching but it would be really revealing if he didn't and the actual evidence came out as then much more in the way of facts would be revealed and less left to speculation.

I just hate this "trail" by media, allegation and speculation (didn't we used to consider this gossip and laugh at it) environment we live in. Just my personal beliefs.
    Last edited by Doublealum; 2 Days Ago at 12:32 PM.

45. The Following 5 Users Say Thanks to Doublealum For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by UNM Class of 1972 View Post
    I only agree with your first sentence. I think your remaining sentences are bunk. I do not think Abdallah has an ax to grind I just think he is in a tough position. I don't think Davie should have been suspended but if 30 days is all he gets and he returns as Coach next year and beyond then I am OK with it. Unless more comes to light, I will be very upset if they do more.
    We're both entitled to our opinions.

Thread Information