Hello, and welcome to The Lobo Lair ! Is this your first visit?
Register
    Its Mr Lobo Lair to you String Music's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,611 Times in 2,359 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 9 Times in 9 Posts

Who gets Alex's minutes in the next game?

First Post Banner
    For all you coaches in the stands, how would you like to see minutes at the 3 and 4 positions distributed?

a) Play Cherise and Tesha 40 minutes apiece.
    b) Play three of our four short players together whenever Cherise or Tesha sits.
    c) For added height, bring in Mykiel or Emily whenever Cherise or Tesha sits.
    d) Play Antonia and Jaisa together whenever Cherise or Tesha sits.
    e) Other

Thanks
    Thanked 2,613 Times in 574 Posts
    My Mood
    Amused
    Groan
    Groaned 4 Times in 4 Posts
    I see "d" and "b" happening. I'd like to see "c" happen. Both Mykiel and Emily are good options (and I'd really like Emily to get some minutes).

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to abqpianist For This Useful Post:

TLL.com Womens Moderator Lobo2x53's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,261 Times in 3,747 Posts
    My Mood
    Fine
    Groan
    Groaned 77 Times in 60 Posts
    Strictly a guess on the first options until proven otherwise:
    --AT comes in when Tesha sits, but based upon last game Tesha may not sit.
    --AT also subs for Jaisa--but Jaisa better be ready to play long minutes.
    --If both get into foul trouble, Emily or Erica, depending upon who he thinks is the better matchup.

--Cherise will play 35+, but Laneah/Madi will back her when she does come out.

This seems consistent with what Ken printed in the Journal, but how the bench performs will actually dictate.

We have already gone 4-small at times with Tesha the lone "big' on the floor.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to Lobo2x53 For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you txlobo95's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,406 Times in 7,345 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 427 Times in 240 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by String Music View Post
    For all you coaches in the stands, how would you like to see minutes at the 3 and 4 positions distributed?

a) Play Cherise and Tesha 40 minutes apiece.
    b) Play three of our four short players together whenever Cherise or Tesha sits.
    c) For added height, bring in Mykiel or Emily whenever Cherise or Tesha sits.
    d) Play Antonia and Jaisa together whenever Cherise or Tesha sits.
    e) Other

Let's see, A hasn't worked and won't work, since the most important part of the game is the last 5 minute's and players won't have that extra gear if they've already played 35 minutes heading into the final 5, so NO, NO, NO, LOL

B, tried that and didn't work out very well. Turns a lead into a deficit and a deficit into a bigger deficit.

C, I would love to see this, just because I would love to see Emily get more minutes and put up some 3 point shots, especially in Alex's absence. It gives us a player that can rebound and defend the 4, but also take her player to the perimeter and spread the floor on offense, giving Jaisa more room to operation, similar to what Tesha does.

D, personally, AT is one of our better players IMO, and would like to see both her and Jaisa play together regardless. It would help Jaisa so she's not the only one rebounding and would help us overall on defense and rebounding. You could slide Tesha to the 3, taking Alex's spot and leave the rest of the back-court as is. If both start, who backs them up? Maybe Emily could back both up and just take turns getting rest?

7. The Following 6 Users Say Thanks to txlobo95 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 9,807 Times in 3,085 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 12 Times in 12 Posts
    If Erica can get some productive minutes, would help if the match up is ok. Would like to see Emily get some time at the 4 with Jaisa and/or AT. Used to think at times Flan hurt himself being stubborn with some things. Wonder a little about that with Bradbury at times. Utah St will go 6'2 and 6'4 together, a good time to give Em a good shot.

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thanks to ldlbfn For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you UNMerciful_1's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,098 Times in 2,941 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 264 Times in 151 Posts
    If Myk is 100 percent I think she is the best option both from an offensive and defensive perspective.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to UNMerciful_1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 9,807 Times in 3,085 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 12 Times in 12 Posts
    If Mykiel as 100%, wonder if she would get start over Jasmine because she is a little taller. For a little more inside size, Emily and if can get a few minutes from Erica. Utah St, UNLV, and CSU can all go bigger inside.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thanks to ldlbfn For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you String Music's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,611 Times in 2,359 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 9 Times in 9 Posts
    Unfortunately, there isn't an easy answer to this question, but it will have major ramifications on the rest of the season.

My sense from what I've heard and read this week is that for the Utah State game, we're going to try mostly A and B so as to not disrupt things too much. That is, Jasmine takes Alex's place, Cherise and Tesha play 37-38 minutes, and Laneah and Madi sub for the four guards. With AT subbing exclusively for Jaisa that would be going only eight deep on the bench.

Long-term I don't think that gives us the best chance to win the MWC tournament (or even upcoming games with Wyo, UNLV, and CSU), but we have a whole week to worry about that after tonight's game with Utah State.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to String Music For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you elmassuave's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,270 Times in 1,864 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 96 Times in 48 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by txlobo95 View Post
    C, I would love to see this, just because I would love to see Emily get more minutes and put up some 3 point shots, especially in Alex's absence. It gives us a player that can rebound and defend the 4, but also take her player to the perimeter and spread the floor on offense, giving Jaisa more room to operation, similar to what Tesha does.
    +1
    "It is the leader's responsibility to make sure the follower is following" Dr. Robert Asbridge

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 370 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 14 Times in 12 Posts
    I think Coach always will go with speed and quickness, not necessarily size. That's why our starters do almost all the scoring while were sometimes get single digits from all the bench combined. But Emily and Erica sure do make the most of their minutes if they get into the game. I think we'll see a lot of Jasmine, Madi and Antonia, but we can count on bench minutes from the ever-steady defender and point guard Laneah.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thanks to beedot45 For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you elmassuave's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,270 Times in 1,864 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 96 Times in 48 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beedot45 View Post
    I think Coach always will go with speed and quickness, not necessarily size. That's why our starters do almost all the scoring while were sometimes get single digits from all the bench combined. But Emily and Erica sure do make the most of their minutes if they get into the game. I think we'll see a lot of Jasmine, Madi and Antonia, but we can count on bench minutes from the ever-steady defender and point guard Laneah.
    I understand Bradbury's desire for speed, however, Emily consistently makes good decisions and the right play at the right time. Therefore, I think that should be worth a lot, in my opinion...
    "It is the leader's responsibility to make sure the follower is following" Dr. Robert Asbridge

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thanks to elmassuave For This Useful Post:

Thread Information