Hello, and welcome to The Lobo Lair ! Is this your first visit?
Register
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused
    Groan
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Have you read the reports?

First Post Banner
    Since there’s been so much gnashing of teeth on here about Coach Davie’s suspension, I thought I’d ask a simple question. Have you read the reports? Not a story in the Journal or watched a blurb on TV, but the 60+ pages UNM made public. So much of what’s been on here the last few days has sounded like the typical political discussion where both sides are convinced they’re right without either actually doing any real research to test their assumptions and beliefs.

If not, here’s a link to where UNM has them posted. They’re toward the bottom in the Related Documents.
    http://news.unm.edu/news/statement-f...accountability

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thanks to FlyingLobo For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you elmassuave's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,270 Times in 1,864 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 96 Times in 48 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyingLobo View Post
    Since there’s been so much gnashing of teeth on here about Coach Davie’s suspension, I thought I’d ask a simple question. Have you read the reports? Not a story in the Journal or watched a blurb on TV, but the 60+ pages UNM made public. So much of what’s been on here the last few days has sounded like the typical political discussion where both sides are convinced they’re right without either actually doing any real research to test their assumptions and beliefs.

If not, here’s a link to where UNM has them posted. They’re toward the bottom in the Related Documents.
    Thank you for sharing the link. Having spent my career conducting investigations (including being a DOJ consultant), it was wonderful to read the reports and confirm that Coach Davie accurately reported their lack of findings.
    Last edited by elmassuave; 1 Week Ago at 04:10 PM. Reason: typo
    "It is the leader's responsibility to make sure the follower is following" Dr. Robert Asbridge

4. The Following 13 Users Say Thanks to elmassuave For This Useful Post:

5. The Following User has Groanedelmassuave For This Un-Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you Lobo_for_life's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,199 Times in 2,554 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 2,424 Times in 1,848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyingLobo View Post

I've read the documents. They describe as a conclusion what we already know. What Davie supporters have been right about is that he shouldn't have been suspended when the misdeeds alleged were not able to be proven or substantiated by the Hogan report.
    Last edited by Lobo_for_life; 1 Week Ago at 02:47 PM.

7. The Following 14 Users Say Thanks to Lobo_for_life For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 12 Times in 9 Posts
    Everything has been made political everywhere in life and its sickining! I say keep out of sports! What about old law innocent till proven guilty that used to work at one point in life instead its political correctness! So we express our opinions like we should to show like and dislike about a subject.
    "New Mexico wins. New Mexico wins!"
    -Mike Roberts

9. The Following 9 Users Say Thanks to Lobo22 For This Useful Post:

10. The Following User has GroanedLobo22 For This Un-Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you loboaddict's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,221 Posts
    My Mood
    Cool
    Groan
    Groaned 85 Times in 59 Posts
    Having read through the whole reports, my opinion has not changed. A 30 day suspension is not warranted. It seems that UNM is overreacting in that direction, because they've been too lenient in other situations in the past and now have the DOJ on their ass.

12. The Following 10 Users Say Thanks to loboaddict For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused
    Groan
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by loboaddict View Post
    Having read through the whole reports, my opinion has not changed. A 30 day suspension is not warranted. It seems that UNM is overreacting in that direction, because they've been too lenient in other situations in the past and now have the DOJ on their ass.
    They may be overreacting. I think it's sort of a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation for Pres. Abdallah and the AD with this report. There's no smoking gun. If there were I think the AD would be conducting a search for a new head coach.

But it's tough for Pres. Abdallah not to take some sort of action after reading what's public in that report. Multiple witnesses corroborating some of the racially insensitive (though i doubt intended to be racist) comments is a problem the administration can't just bury their head in the sand about. Multiple witnesses stating that they feared retaliation for cooperating with the investigation, which looks bad when only one of thirteen 2017 players that OEO tried to contact actually responded and only 7 of 20 coaches. That's not a good look either. If UNM wants to be transparent they have to release the documents as they did, and if you're reading them as a non football fan its hard to not think there's something wrong with this picture. Yes, there's no tape recording or other incontrovertible evidence, but there's more smoke than the general public is going to be comfortable seeing.

"The OEO found significant ENVIRONMENTAL CONCERNS and FAILURE TO FOLLOW CIVIL RIGHTS REPORTING PROTOCOL AND PROCEDURE". That alone is grounds that UNM can use to justify the suspension as it's a documented case of failing to follow the proper reporting protocol. That's likely why the regents felt confident turning down Coach Davie's appeal.

Will Davie sue? If he does he's probably no longer head coach, all that redacted stuff probably gets made public as part of the discovery process, and all of this gets hashed out for months in the press. If he doesn't, he continues to coach and get paid a bunch of money, and can say he learned his lesson about the proper reporting protocols for anything that might be considered a civil rights issue. I hope cooler heads prevail and both UNM and Coach Davie can move past this investigation.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thanks to FlyingLobo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,198 Times in 777 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 183 Times in 81 Posts
    The law firm did not even investigate the break-in. The write up is a joke. The issue is he covered it up. So when the two players who had stuff stolen claim Davie took an evidence video and then later said, oh, the police lost it. Where is any proof Davie contacted the police? Where is the police record/file indicating receipt of the video. Why would the police not ask for another copy of the video if they lost it..lol. All the law firm did is talk to one of the players who had his stuff stolen, and then....investigated nothing. Davie most definitely should have been questioned about this, as should have the police, yet what? Nothing. ZERO investigation.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Clubmaker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 8,215 Times in 2,786 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 399 Times in 131 Posts
    the seriousness of the charges....what BS...

Trinidad and Tobago 2...USA 1

US Men's National Team
    Alexi Lalas, "Are you going to continue to be a bunch of soft, underperforming, tattooed millionaires? You are a soccer generation that has been given everything; you are a soccer generation who's on the verge of squandering everything."

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to zoom For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you judas_priest's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,448 Times in 3,603 Posts
    My Mood
    Worried
    Groan
    Groaned 200 Times in 108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lobo22 View Post
    Everything has been made political everywhere in life and its sickining! I say keep out of sports! What about old law innocent till proven guilty that used to work at one point in life instead its political correctness! So we express our opinions like we should to show like and dislike about a subject.
    "innocent until proven guilty" applies only the criminal law, although it is a valid way to look at a number of other issues. But in many other cases it is inappropriate. I have not seen enough facts in the material I saw here to feel that I have enough factual foundation to come to any conclusion. But, if what I read about Davie's asking other players to get some dirt on the complaining witness, is accurate, not just in technical terms but as a significant exhortation (sorry to be so vague, but it's tax season and I don't have a lot of time to discuss this), then I think that smacks of interference with an investigation. I cannot believe the University would have taken this step without a thorough review from the university counsel's office. That does not mean the university counsel is correct, but I doubt very much that this step was taken without a good deal of investigation, legal research and consideration. I believe, but do not know this to be true, that the NCAA rules prohibit interference with investigations, which what Davie did arguably committed . So I suggest that we should suspend judgment unless and until we get a full disclosure of the facts.

20. The Following 8 Users Say Thanks to judas_priest For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,635 Times in 635 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 216 Times in 76 Posts
    I try to not wear cherry colored sunglasses when it comes to lack of institutional control accusations. To me, it is important to weigh the evidence at hand and try to be as impartial as possible. If there was a video that surfaced with Davie talking about digging up dirt about the young woman. If there was evidence of a cover up pertaining to player behavior, coach behavior etc. If there was evidence of players receiving improper benefits, that would be one thing. But there isn't. There is a ton of heresy
    There is no tangible reason why Davie should be suspended at this point. Should he choose to sue (likely imo), he will win. UNM is being reactive or over-reactive instead of proactive, but that's on par for this school and this state in general.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thanks to TheDamnFans For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you elmassuave's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,270 Times in 1,864 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 96 Times in 48 Posts
    I consider the lack of transparency dangerous. After all, coach Davie was suspended based upon unfounded allegations.

I think we all agree that it would be improper for someone to ask the players "to get some dirt" on someone. However, that is precisely what UNM officials did to coach Davie via the three (3) investigations. Think about it, on 3 separate occasions investigators interviewed players and coaches seeking dirt on coach.

As one would expect, anyone with an axe to grind seized the opportunity(s) to dump on coach. The 3 reports simply recited a few "unfounded" allegations.

If 3 sets of investigators spoke with "ALL" of your current and former co-workers etc. soliciting dirt on you, think you would get a clean report???
    Last edited by elmassuave; 3 Days Ago at 04:58 PM.
    "It is the leader's responsibility to make sure the follower is following" Dr. Robert Asbridge

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thanks to elmassuave For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,950 Times in 1,065 Posts
    My Mood
    Cheeky
    Groan
    Groaned 22 Times in 16 Posts
    I wonder if President Abdallah appreciates the tire tracks on his forehead.

(on the 30-day suspension)" Nuñez made it clear that was Abdallah’s decision and his alone. " (Friday Journal)

This mess is not going to end well for anyone.

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thanks to jdw For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you Doublealum's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,255 Times in 4,676 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 615 Times in 276 Posts
    I read the reports and while there is lots of very troubling smoke (allegations), there is not much in the way of proof of fire. Sometimes when there is a lot of smoke, its just that,smoke and someone is trying to blow it up one's anal orifice - other times there is a huge fire and there needs to be a major effort to put it out necessitating the taking of strong and swift action. Right now, with what has been revealed, including these reports, for me, there is just a lot of smoke and we are left to speculate if there is any fire.

28. The Following 8 Users Say Thanks to Doublealum For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 13,993 Times in 4,094 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 89 Times in 73 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Doublealum View Post
    I read the reports and while there is lots of very troubling smoke (allegations), there is not much in the way of proof of fire. Sometimes when there is a lot of smoke, its just that,smoke and someone is trying to blow it up one's anal orifice - other times there is a huge fire and there needs to be a major effort to put it out necessitating the taking of strong and swift action. Right now, with what has been revealed, including these reports, for me, there is just a lot of smoke and we are left to speculate if there is any fire.
    And we may be in the obscure grey area between the huge fire and someone blowing the smoke.

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thanks to Scott For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you Doublealum's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,255 Times in 4,676 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 615 Times in 276 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    And we may be in the obscure grey area between the huge fire and someone blowing the smoke.

You our are correct - that is a possibility but without the facts, who knows?

32. The Following 4 Users Say Thanks to Doublealum For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 13,993 Times in 4,094 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 89 Times in 73 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Doublealum View Post
    You our are correct - that is a possibility but without the facts, who knows?
    I think the lack of facts feeds the impression of the grey area. We'll see how it plays out.

34. The Following 3 Users Say Thanks to Scott For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post
    Its like Schroedinger's Cat is playing games with Coach Davie and Lobo Football.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to GangsterLobo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 6 Times in 5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GangsterLobo View Post
    Its like Schroedinger's Cat is playing games with Coach Davie and Lobo Football.
    Davie committed the crime but did not commit the crime! Finally a sane analysis....

But then the regents should have punished him but not punished him at all. Still confused.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,631 Times in 468 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 20 Times in 17 Posts
    I don’t know what to think. These are troubling allegations, and I get the recent push and need to deal with this as quickly as possible, but everything feels a bit too rash and not thought out.
    "I have never posted with less power in my life."

"GP2 Posting! GP2 Posting!"

39. The Following User Says Thank You to Miguelnavida For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,322 Times in 1,123 Posts
    My Mood
    Amused
    Groan
    Groaned 77 Times in 40 Posts
    I'm thinking they don't have the "goods" to fire him for cause and therefore they would have to pay the buyout, which they can't afford ....so....they want to make things as uncomfortable as possible and try to get him to leave because media and "fans" make it to miserable to live here and recruiting suffers....

Pitboss
    Can you believe my neighbor came knocking at my door at 2:30 AM this morning......Good thing I was still up playing my bagpipes......

.....maybe next year......

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you UNM Class of 1972's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,184 Times in 3,556 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 575 Times in 275 Posts
    A lot of former Lobo players have come to Davie's defense so I think a lot of these allegations are b.s.

42. The Following 3 Users Say Thanks to UNM Class of 1972 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 8,215 Times in 2,786 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 399 Times in 131 Posts
    be sure and recruit players who can suck it up instead of going home and crying to momma...

Trinidad and Tobago 2...USA 1

US Men's National Team
    Alexi Lalas, "Are you going to continue to be a bunch of soft, underperforming, tattooed millionaires? You are a soccer generation that has been given everything; you are a soccer generation who's on the verge of squandering everything."

Thread Information