Hello, and welcome to The Lobo Lair ! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 19 Times in 3 Posts

Weir's game time coaching

First Post Banner
    A friend of mine who knows and lot more about basketball than I do says Weir leaves his players out to dry sometimes at the end of games, like this last one. Says Weir should have switched to zone to keep SDSU out of the lane for instance.
    What do you all think about this? Bugs the crap out of me because I think he has done the (almost) impossible this year.
    Last edited by Marktic; 03-11-2018 at 11:18 AM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to Marktic For This Useful Post:

3. The Following 10 Users Have Groaned Marktic For This Un-Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you Jeffinthe505's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,210 Times in 3,084 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 253 Times in 145 Posts
    Maybe your friend should consider coaching a college basketball team?
    Weir did what nobody even remotely thought he could do this year. He took a team that was picked to finish at the bottom of our conference and took them to the conference championship game.
    We had won six games in a row coming in to the game tonight. So, I would not put too much stock into what your friend is saying.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,021 Times in 1,967 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 98 Times in 79 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Marktic View Post
    A friend of mine who knows and lot more about basketball than I do says Weir leaves his players out to dry sometimes at the end of games, like this last one. Says Weir should have switched to zone to keep SDSU out of the lane for instance.
    What do you all think about this? Bugs the he kmout of me because I think he has done the (almost) impossible this year.
    Your friend doesn't know a lot about basketball.

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thanks to jbarr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 8 Times in 1 Post
    Weir said in the post game radio that he thought about going zone, but thought it would slow them down too much and make them just pass it around the exterior. He wanted to keep them playing fast to try to get a comeback with some quick shots or turnovers.

8. The Following 15 Users Say Thanks to noxen1586 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 8,781 Times in 2,434 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 202 Times in 120 Posts
    That's rich. Weir takes a lunch pale group picked 9th in the MWC...to the cusp of the NCAA tourney, and your friend (or alter Ego?) second guesses his coaching ability.....just priceless. Thanks for that gem.

10. The Following 21 Users Say Thanks to MaxLobo For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you Digital Lobo's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,621 Times in 12,000 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 663 Times in 418 Posts
    I believe that the OP's friend is probably a wizard at coaching basketball...

on XBox.

A mile high and louder than howl

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thanks to Digital Lobo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 10,899 Times in 2,319 Posts
    My Mood
    Cynical
    Groan
    Groaned 1,030 Times in 357 Posts
    Maybe you and your friend can both take a hike!

My friend told me Donald Trump flew a car to Russia

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thanks to FoKuZ For This Useful Post:

15. The Following 3 Users Have Groaned FoKuZ For This Un-Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 24,229 Times in 6,161 Posts
    My Mood
    Cool
    Groan
    Groaned 630 Times in 305 Posts
    Not that I agree with your friend or you, but as to discussing strategies, it is well with in discussion rules around here. I think after this season, however, I will leave the coaching of this team to Weir. As to the personal insults I think they are not necessary:-(
    JulieG
    Loyal Lobo fan since 1962

Thanks
    Thanked 4,316 Times in 1,008 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 141 Times in 75 Posts
    Its too bad we didn't hire your friend instead of Weir

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to UNMLoboFan1 For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you Doublealum's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,848 Times in 5,013 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 660 Times in 306 Posts
    I wholeheartedly agree that Weir did an excellent job this year and am hopeful for the future. I also freely admit that D1 college coaches have more b-ball acumen under their fingernails than the collective wisdom of all the armchairs on this board (including me) but I too wondered why we didn't try something different, including zone, when it became very clear that our normal switch everything man to man couldn't handle Kell on the high pick and roll. I would be interested in hearing Weir's thoughts on that issue - I'm confident I would learn that there was a good reason(s).
    Last edited by Doublealum; 03-11-2018 at 11:43 AM.

20. The Following 7 Users Say Thanks to Doublealum For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 19 Times in 3 Posts
    Hey, don't bag on me, I have been 100% in Weir's camp since the first interview I heard with him.

Sorry I posted this, I was only looking for some rebuttal points, didn't think I would be personally attacked.
    Last edited by Marktic; 03-11-2018 at 11:28 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,832 Times in 4,270 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 136 Times in 65 Posts
    Coach Weir went with the system that had proved to work best with the talent he coached. Next year he will have more options with the players he recruits..
    Kudos to the team..
    i encourage you to post more often Marktic, 10 posts since 2010 ? Go Lobos

23. The Following 6 Users Say Thanks to wolf1960 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,787 Times in 660 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 222 Times in 79 Posts
    Weir coached his ass off. Pretty much universal praise for him on the mwc board by conference rivals. The only even remotely questionable coaching decision I saw yesterday was that they didn't foul quickly down the stretch and lengthen the game. Other than that what Weir did with this roster in conference play was nothing short of amazing.

25. The Following 9 Users Say Thanks to TheDamnFans For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 11 Times in 4 Posts
    only thing i thought we should have done, was double team late in the game. From past experiences as a player heck even watching Texas A&M make that wonderful comeback a few years ago. I think that would have been our best bet with the final minutes. But Weir did a hell of a job and we got outplayed. Lobos showed so much heart and i loved every single second of it.

The Lobo Lair Chosen RedSox87122's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,902 Times in 1,472 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 80 Times in 52 Posts
    Personal attacks.

Wow - a mighty ugly thread we have here.
    Last edited by RedSox87122; 03-11-2018 at 01:36 PM.
    “A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.” - Herm Albright

28. The Following 6 Users Say Thanks to RedSox87122 For This Useful Post:

29. The Following User has GroanedRedSox87122 For This Un-Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 11 Times in 4 Posts
    If so so be it. I would never say i could out coach Weir because i cannot. Just i heard it on CBS from the announcers and i thought about how tough that was to play through as a player, then i remembered how much it made Northern Iowa struggle in the NCAA tourney when they did. But no im not anywhere near qualified to tell what Paul Weir should have done. And i wasn't just curious to see if it would have worked.

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to jomera For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you sandia mt's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,613 Times in 2,151 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 48 Times in 30 Posts
    It’s always easier to look into the past and question decisions made than it is to look into the future and see how your decisions will work out.

33. The Following 3 Users Say Thanks to sandia mt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Also philosophically, Weir is a man to man guy. The difference in that game was front-court length and athleticism and an amazing individual effort by a senior (Trey Kell) who didn't want his career to be over. The system worked. We had them gassed, but Kell willed them to a win. He hit clutch shots over decent man defense. Why would throwing a zaggy 2-3 zone at him suddenly slow him down? Lol. Laughable.

35. The Following 4 Users Say Thanks to TheDamnFans For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,415 Times in 1,309 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 176 Times in 85 Posts
    Not that bad of a question....I also questioned in the Air Force game why we didn't maybe try a zone! I think folks are still salty from the loss last night of which you can't really blame them!! I agree with those that said PW is a man to man coach and that is how we play! I think a big premise of PW is to will his style of play to the other team with the idea that we will eventually wear them down.....I think that idea worked on the majority of the SDSU team other then Kell, who flat out won that game for them last night.....if he is off at all, we will last night! I am glad that he is graduating.

37. The Following 6 Users Say Thanks to ArkansasLobo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,976 Times in 1,383 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 343 Times in 137 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDamnFans View Post
    Weir coached his ass off. Pretty much universal praise for him on the mwc board by conference rivals. The only even remotely questionable coaching decision I saw yesterday was that they didn't foul quickly down the stretch and lengthen the game. Other than that what Weir did with this roster in conference play was nothing short of amazing.
    Agreed, could someone explain why we always switch - it seems like we end up with the mismatch of the small guy driving by Joe who comes out 20+ feet or we get a big on the inside on one of our small guards.

39. The Following 4 Users Say Thanks to rick7g For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you Doublealum's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,848 Times in 5,013 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 660 Times in 306 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rick7g View Post
    Agreed, could someone explain why we always switch - it seems like we end up with the mismatch of the small guy driving by Joe who comes out 20+ feet or we get a big on the inside on one of our small guards.
    Amongst other things, it normally defeats pick and roll but yesterday against Kell the opposite happened. It also lessens the off the ball picks that free up 3 point shooters and on the ball it keeps ball pressure on the man with the ball & forces pace. It worked well for us most of the year but like any scheme it also has it weaknesses as you identified.

41. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to Doublealum For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 32 Times in 19 Posts
    Weir's strengths by far outway his weaknesses. I think even Weir would admit that he's not a perfect coach. I think he would admit that he could improve on the X's and O's - but give him a break - he's 38 years old.

I think the zone comment is a reasonable one, but my game was hockey, not basketball. Just as his team learns from losses, so will Weir.I

There is no reason to be vicious here. I honestly feel like we have a John Wooden type leader and a great program on the way. I'm not in the least concerned and I am grateful for a great season of basketball.

The reality is that this is a discussion board. It's the closest thing to competition that those of us too old and fat to play anymore will get. Everybody take a deep breath.

43. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to BigMel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 54,830 Times in 12,864 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 702 Times in 410 Posts
    Yeah, not a fan of the automatic switches on every high ball screen. I don't see any top teams out there who do that. I hope Weir tweaks his philosophy on that, though in theory he should have guys next year who are better equipped to defend on the switch.

Thanks
    Groan
    Just a guess, but maybe because of the "line changes" sub in and out philosophy. Maybe it avoids confusion for the kids to know that they always switch regardless of lineup. It is a bit unusual though. I'm sure Weir has some analytical data driven reason for it lol.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,003 Times in 1,659 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 102 Times in 68 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LoboMike View Post
    Yeah, not a fan of the automatic switches on every high ball screen. I don't see any top teams out there who do that. I hope Weir tweaks his philosophy on that, though in theory he should have guys next year who are better equipped to defend on the switch.
    I like the switching as it keeps us aggressive. Yeah there are mismatches, but when we get more talent, I expect we see even better results.

I don't how many times this season there were mismatches, but surprisedly I don't believe it was never taken advantage by the opposition greatly.
    Last edited by hobo; 03-11-2018 at 02:56 PM.

The Lobo Lair Chosen RedSox87122's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,902 Times in 1,472 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 80 Times in 52 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LoboMike View Post
    If you rewatch the game - (I didn’t BTW - it was deleted immediately), I believe you will see that later in the second half, our guards worked harder to stay with their guards. Switches weren’t as automatic as they were during most of the game. Honestly, I saw it on a few occasions. I hope this is because Weir did note how we were getting toasted and addressed it.

That is my hope - I am going with that. Of course - I am also going with Kell missed his shots, while I await our NCAA seeding.
    Last edited by RedSox87122; 03-11-2018 at 02:54 PM.
    “A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.” - Herm Albright

48. The Following User Says Thank You to RedSox87122 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 54,830 Times in 12,864 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 702 Times in 410 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hobo View Post
    I like the switching as it keeps us aggressive. Yeah there are mismatches, but when we get more talent, I expect we see even better results.
    Aggressive is fighting through screens. Switching is easier. You could also "hedge" by the big man and get back. Alford used to employ that here.

Better personnel certainly helps with any scheme, but there will always be certain guards that you should never switch a big onto. They are too good and will torch it.

50. The Following 4 Users Say Thanks to LoboMike For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 24,229 Times in 6,161 Posts
    My Mood
    Cool
    Groan
    Groaned 630 Times in 305 Posts
    Kell, played as good a game as one could at the end of the game. He is a 6'4 215 lb guard who has a jump shot that was on. The one issue we have as a team was size and it quite often was apparent with him. There were other issues as well with size that I see not being there next year. Perhaps the main issue I saw was Mathis could not get clear to shoot and that is something I would like to see worked on and Sam had a tough game.
    JulieG
    Loyal Lobo fan since 1962

52. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to JulieG For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you Digital Lobo's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,621 Times in 12,000 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 663 Times in 418 Posts
    If you would have told me before the game that the Lobos would have five players score in double figures (which they did) I would have liked our chances of winning the game.

By contrast, SDSU had 3 players score in double figures, but unfortunately for us, one of them was Kell with 26.

A mile high and louder than howl

54. The Following User Says Thank You to Digital Lobo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,958 Times in 1,499 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 651 Times in 149 Posts

56. The Following 5 Users Say Thanks to NightWolf For This Useful Post:

Thread Information