Hello, and welcome to The Lobo Lair ! Is this your first visit?
Register
    Its Mr Lobo Lair to you PackLobo23's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,371 Times in 4,833 Posts
    My Mood
    Amazed
    Groan
    Groaned 1,968 Times in 566 Posts

It just felt right

First Post Banner
    I dont know what else to say... it just felt RIGHT. I'll probably never ever say this again after losing... and losing to those guys, but it really did seem like old times... like order had been restored.

Maybe, actually Im sure, I have a jaded view about this, but this conference is at its best when this rivalry is alive and well and I think it can happen again.

Lobo basketball is special to me. Its what my dad and I did together (along with Packers football), its what we could talk about even in the worst of times. I mean my dad gave me "the talk" sitting in the parking lot at the Pit when we got to a game really early one day..... and that special is coming back. You had the Lobos and the Aztecs you had Danny Granger pumping the Lobos up at half time on CBS. For at least a day all was right again.... and WE LOST...

I loved this teams passion. It broke my heart watching Antino (sp?) Jackson on his knees crying at the end, and the emotions of Sam and Joe, but at the same time and as selfish as it sounds, it made me feel good to know that there is that pride in the program.

Sorry to go on and on, but thanks for the forum... I Can't wait for the horses to come in next year... and APS Spring Break and the MWC tourney are at the same time next year and you can bet your house that my family and I will be at Pit west looking for the head of Montezuma on a stake! Just as it should be!

2. The Following User has GroanedPackLobo23 For This Un-Useful Post:

JTX

Thanks
    Thanked 1,498 Times in 358 Posts
    My Mood
    Breezy
    Groan
    Groaned 52 Times in 10 Posts
    Great Post. I feel the same. I like to think next year we won't be the scrappy, undermanned team pulling off a miraculous streak and beating the odds. Next year we, if weir gets the incoming players to play like the current team, we will be feared greatly. Plain and Simple, and the LOBOS WILL BE BACK!
    Last edited by f5dryline; 03-13-2018 at 08:04 AM.
    "THE" UNIVERSITY OF NEW MEXICO

WELCOME TO THE LAND OF ENCHANTMENT...
    WHERE nmsu SUCKS!!!

4. The Following 9 Users Say Thanks to f5dryline For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,706 Times in 789 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 324 Times in 85 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PackLobo23 View Post
    I dont know what else to say... it just felt RIGHT. I'll probably never ever say this again after losing... and losing to those guys, but it really did seem like old times... like order had been restored.

Maybe, actually Im sure, I have a jaded view about this, but this conference is at its best when this rivalry is alive and well and I think it can happen again.

Lobo basketball is special to me. Its what my dad and I did together (along with Packers football), its what we could talk about even in the worst of times. I mean my dad gave me "the talk" sitting in the parking lot at the Pit when we got to a game really early one day..... and that special is coming back. You had the Lobos and the Aztecs you had Danny Granger pumping the Lobos up at half time on CBS. For at least a day all was right again.... and WE LOST...

I loved this teams passion. It broke my heart watching Antino (sp?) Jackson on his knees crying at the end, and the emotions of Sam and Joe, but at the same time and as selfish as it sounds, it made me feel good to know that there is that pride in the program.

Sorry to go on and on, but thanks for the forum... I Can't wait for the horses to come in next year... and APS Spring Break and the MWC tourney are at the same time next year and you can bet your house that my family and I will be at Pit west looking for the head of Montezuma on a stake! Just as it should be!
    Hey man I too feel this way again. I understand. Thanks for the heart felt post.
    -Sent from my Nintendo Game & Watch

6. The Following 11 Users Say Thanks to boingee For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 294 Posts
    My Mood
    Amused
    Groan
    Groaned 6 Times in 4 Posts

I feel this way too!! Seriously though...he gave you the talk before a game?!?! I bet you couldn't focus on the game!!!

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thanks to Agent For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amazed
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    I feel this way too!! Seriously though...he gave you the talk before a game?!?! I bet you couldn't focus on the game!!!
    LOL . Yes he did... and no I couldnt.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to PackLobo23 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 9 Times in 3 Posts
    Pack- I can’t agree with your take more. The heritage powers that be in this conference are UNM, SDSU, and UNLV. All this talk of Nevada and Boise is good in that they’re carrying their water and being solid contributing members but when it comes down to it we are a formidable conference when are heritage members are strong. I hated losing but the unfortunate realty is that we are going to lose some when those members are strong.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to mikemc81 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 8,034 Times in 1,964 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 140 Times in 59 Posts
    Apparently Muss and his following are butthurt because Weir said something about UNM, SDSU, and UNLV being the traditional powers and that it was good to have UNM and SDSU in the title game?

New money probably shouldn't get uppity. Nevada ain't winning the conference next year.
    FEAR NOTHING!!!!!!!

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thanks to RIDIC For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,316 Times in 1,008 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 141 Times in 75 Posts
    Weir said in the post game press conference that SDSU is way better than Nevada. Which shouldn't be a surprise to anyone considering SDSU was beating Nevada 55-21 at one point in the game

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thanks to UNMLoboFan1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 8,034 Times in 1,964 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 140 Times in 59 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNMLoboFan1 View Post
    Weir said in the post game press conference that SDSU is way better than Nevada. Which shouldn't be a surprise to anyone considering SDSU was beating Nevada 55-21 at one point in the game
    lol. I don't recall him saying SDSU is way better than Nevada. I do remember him saying that he thinks SDSU is the best team in the league, saying he thinks they have the best center, point guard, and shooting guard in the conference.
    FEAR NOTHING!!!!!!!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to RIDIC For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you Doublealum's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,848 Times in 5,013 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 660 Times in 306 Posts
    Plus, Nevada was playing without their PG - that is a huge blow to them and will continue to cost them in the NCAAs - they were selected (rightfully) on their "body of work" not where they are at this time.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to Doublealum For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you Jeffinthe505's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,210 Times in 3,084 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 253 Times in 145 Posts
    This Conference is at its best when UNM-UNLV-SDSU and an outlier (or two) are in the mix. Sorry...that is just the facts.

If Nevada wants to be that outlier (or more), then come on with it and create a tradition of being a top 3 team on a consistent basis. I know they have been good the past 2-3 years but this conference was built on the backs of UNM, UNLV and SDSU (in men's basketball).

I REALLY hope Gonzaga makes the move to the MWC. That will elevate our status, conference strength,TV revenue, etc. in a big way. It could very likely make us a top 6 men's BB conference on a fairly regular basis.

I also believe that if we get Gonzaga, it creates an even more compelling argument for coaches who might be "up and coming" to stay at their respective jobs.

Call me crazy but I seriously think the MWC is about to be back on the map as a BB powerhouse. I think its what a LOT of us have wanted for a long time. If football catches up, even better. If not, well....

Anyway, the future looks bright and I couldn't be more excited about the Lobo men's BB future.

22. The Following 12 Users Say Thanks to Jeffinthe505 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,316 Times in 1,008 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 141 Times in 75 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RIDIC View Post
    lol. I don't recall him saying SDSU is way better than Nevada. I do remember him saying that he thinks SDSU is the best team in the league, saying he thinks they have the best center, point guard, and shooting guard in the conference.
    Exact quote "I mean, they are better than Nevada. They are good. I think they have the best center in the league. I think they have the best point guard in the league. And Trey Kell might be the best 2 guard in the league.

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thanks to UNMLoboFan1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 11,832 Times in 4,270 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 136 Times in 65 Posts
    PACK THE PIT... I was early every game to see the Lobos warm up.. Really good Post..

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thanks to wolf1960 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 8 Times in 7 Posts
    Thanks for sharing. Lobo basketball is more than just a game around these parts. I think Weir is understanding it more and more. Hopefully he knows its not like this everywhere and stays put!!! Lol!

28. The Following 5 Users Say Thanks to LoboDawg For This Useful Post:

29. The Following User has GroanedLoboDawg For This Un-Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,581 Times in 1,329 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 43 Times in 13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RIDIC View Post
    Apparently Muss and his following are butthurt because Weir said something about UNM, SDSU, and UNLV being the traditional powers and that it was good to have UNM and SDSU in the title game?

New money probably shouldn't get uppity. Nevada ain't winning the conference next year.
    And he said that Brian Dutcher should have been COY. Take that, Musselman!

31. The Following 4 Users Say Thanks to Dr.M For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 24,229 Times in 6,161 Posts
    My Mood
    Cool
    Groan
    Groaned 630 Times in 305 Posts
    I hope Nevada stays tough, it doesn't hurt any of us to have more than just the traditional teams at the top if we have five or six I would be very happy.
    JulieG
    Loyal Lobo fan since 1962

33. The Following 3 Users Say Thanks to JulieG For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,267 Times in 675 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 22 Times in 15 Posts

I made that same observation that things seemed back to normal to an SDSU fan sitting next to me who graduated from ASU. He also happened to be a native of New Mexico and loves this state as much as I do in spite of the fact that my undergraduate degree and his graduate degree were from Pac 12 schools. Really looking forward to next year and many thanks to our seniors who made this season so exciting and memorable.

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to alamolobo For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you timvracer's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,104 Times in 3,362 Posts
    My Mood
    Breezy
    Groan
    Groaned 165 Times in 108 Posts
    Manny, KennyMoFo and I met with Asstec fans in Hard Rock the night before the game, and all the talk was exactly the same... while we hate each other, it felt good to actually feel it again... the two top dogs going at it for the championship! It felt like order had been restored... and both sides feeling it, feeling the bar raising again with our teams coming into their own. We knew the final would be a war, and it was... and next year the war continues!
    -- timvracer --
    "As of Saturday night, it would appear the Mountain West Conference has two NCAA tournament-worthy teams. As long as they can find the remains of one of them."

37. The Following 3 Users Say Thanks to timvracer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 23 Times in 5 Posts
    Pack aren’t you one if he guys that bad mouthed anyone that was calling for Neal’s head saying we were all stupid?

39. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to VivaLosLobos For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you Welcome2ThePit's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,739 Times in 1,502 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 246 Times in 101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikemc81 View Post
    Pack- I can’t agree with your take more. The heritage powers that be in this conference are UNM, SDSU, and UNLV. All this talk of Nevada and Boise is good in that they’re carrying their water and being solid contributing members but when it comes down to it we are a formidable conference when are heritage members are strong. I hated losing but the unfortunate realty is that we are going to lose some when those members are strong.
    Hopefully YBU comes back and then order will truly be restored. We all hate YBU, but this conference is so much more fun when they are playing in it.

UNLV, SDSU, UNM, and BYU are truly the heritage members as you call them. MWC royalty, if you will. Nevada and Boise just make it tougher, but those four programs are the core of what makes this league so dynamic and fun.

If the Zags and BYU both come, which I am predicting they will, this league is going to be more powerful than ever before. Exciting times ahead...

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amazed
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by VivaLosLobos View Post
    Pack aren’t you one if he guys that bad mouthed anyone that was calling for Neal’s head saying we were all stupid?
    Yep and at the end I admitted I was wrong... that was a year ago now.

42. The Following 3 Users Say Thanks to PackLobo23 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amazed
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by VivaLosLobos View Post
    Pack arenít you one if he guys that bad mouthed anyone that was calling for Nealís head saying we were all stupid?
    Yep and at the end I admitted I was wrong... that was a year ago now.

Thread Information