Hello, and welcome to The Lobo Lair ! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Its Mr Lobo Lair to you txlobo95's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,411 Times in 7,976 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 467 Times in 261 Posts
    First Post Banner
    Quote Originally Posted by RedSox87122 View Post
    That said - the 2014-2015 was still an overall better team, IMO. lol
    lol, not acquiescing on that one and if this team can make a deep run, will only cement my belief that much more.

Let's face it, each coach subbed differently. IMO, "had" Bradbury subbed more, meaning, giving his starters at least 3-4 more minutes of rest a game, I think the results may have been quite a bit different. We very well could have won 3-5 more conf games this year and tied for a title. For whatever reason, from OOC play to MWC play, he severely tightened up the rotation to the detriment to our w/l record. Our starters clearly got tired toward the end of games and didn't have the gas other teams had. WY MWCT game, CSU OT game, etc, etc.

Remember, that 14-15 team started out 1-7, and yes, they played "some" top competition, they also lost to Texas Pan Am on a neutral court and UC Riverside at home. Many people, including myself were calling for YS to end her coaching regime at UNM. Probably would have been the best move for UNM, considered, she was let go after the following season. We could have started this rebuild one year earlier. We also lost @NMSU by double digits. If you want an equal blow-out to OK, we lost at Texas that year by 49. Texas was not ranked. Heck, we were so bad, UNM's official stats only list 11 of our 16 OOC games? They don't even show the score of the home game vs. NMSU in which we lost. So we got swept by NMSU, this year, we swept NMSU and they are a WNIT. That alone seals my win in this debate!!! Game over.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,533 Times in 621 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 725 Times in 153 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ricklines View Post
    Hmmmmm... I bet most fans are happy for at least one more game... and will enjoy watching them play... even if there is no guarantee they will win.

So look on the bright side Darkside... I think there's a solid chance they will win. But they definitely need to play the game in order to win it. :-)
    Games like this are definitely a double edge sword. They can be a building block if you win. But remember it was a Johnson Gym WBI loss to Weber St that was the final straw in the firing of Coach Chez as it renforced a disappointing season.

The Lobo Lair Chosen RedSox87122's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,204 Times in 1,509 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 81 Times in 53 Posts
    Oh Tx:

I give you props for doing some research and trying to make a better argument than a few nights ago. However, little question that down the stretch the 14-15 team far exceeded this year’s team. That team played a far tougher OOC schedule and could have crumbled under the weight. It did not - it learned and it came together - it had chemistry. It jelled when it mattered, and nearly won the MW conference and its tournament.

So - just like this year’s men’s program - I judge a team by the ability to learn and improve. Learning and improving is measured by wins in February/March - not November. We had more talented players during other Neal year’s, but they were not nearly the "team" we saw this year.

Additionally, as you just argued, substitutions, or lack thereof no doubt cost this year's team from being as good as it could have been. I stated the other night, that this year’s team has far more talent - but, talent does little if it remains on the bench. Therefore - per your own argument - more was possible. Because more didn’t happen, I stand firm in my stance.

Win the WNIT and I am willing to revisit. :)
    Last edited by RedSox87122; 03-13-2018 at 03:17 PM.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. - Herm Albright

4. The Following User Says Thank You to RedSox87122 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,072 Times in 363 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkside View Post
    Games like this are definitely a double edge sword. They can be a building block if you win. But remember it was a Johnson Gym WBI loss to Weber St that was the final straw in the firing of Coach Chez as it renforced a disappointing season.

Trust me... I remember it well. We lived the results as a family in the months afterward.

As I look at your post... I can't help but notice that the AD on the screen is gone. The corporate sponsor behind him is gone. But lots of people remain... including many key players on this year's team.

Many life lessons were learned through the firing of Coach Sanchez. But I really don't think one of them was to let the negative possibilities rule when it comes to making decisions.

Because... no matter what happens...

there is always a bright side.

Go Lobos!

6. The Following 12 Users Say Thanks to ricklines For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by ricklines View Post
    Trust me... I remember it well. We lived the results as a family in the months afterward.

As I look at your post... I can't help but notice that the AD on the screen is gone. The corporate sponsor behind him is gone. But lots of people remain... including many key players on this year's team.

Many life lessons were learned through the firing of Coach Sanchez. But I really don't think one of them was to let the negative possibilities rule when it comes to making decisions.

Because... no matter what happens...

there is always a bright side.

Go Lobos!
    Rick:

Do you by chance teach a course in diplomacy?
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. - Herm Albright

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to RedSox87122 For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you txlobo95's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,411 Times in 7,976 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 467 Times in 261 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RedSox87122 View Post
    Win the WNIT and I am willing to revisit. :)
    hmm, how many post season games did that team win????

Just sayin', you are setting the bar mighty high, when this year's team is already better and has won more games, AND has a higher rpi and overall metrics across the board that yours. Yes, yours is a nice little story, but unfortunately, just like many times in the YS era, when the game really mattered, we came up a bit short.

I'm not going to put any expectations on this year's post season, other than, I would love to see games back in the PIT. It's been way too long since they have hosted post season games in the PIT. Heck, the last one, may have been the one I was at against West Virginia in the NCAA's???

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to txlobo95 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by txlobo95 View Post
    hmm, how many post season games did that team win????

Just sayin', you are setting the bar mighty high. . . . Yes, yours is a nice little story . . . . . .
    Sorry Tx - Yes to the bar being set mighty high, and yes, I will always hold a fondness for that team and for the daughter of a friend from Florida that my daughter was so looking forward to watching. The last game my daughter got to see was our close loss to Oral Roberts in Johnson Gym. Going back to Johnson Gym for this year's post season is stirring up many memories. Nevertheless, I respect your opinion and enjoy our discussions.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/hpfXLWV9L2g

Last edited by RedSox87122; 03-13-2018 at 09:04 PM.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thanks to RedSox87122 For This Useful Post:

Thread Information