Hello, and welcome to The Lobo Lair ! Is this your first visit?
Register
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,517 Times in 359 Posts
    My Mood
    Breezy
    Groan
    Groaned 52 Times in 10 Posts
    "THE" UNIVERSITY OF NEW MEXICO

WELCOME TO THE LAND OF ENCHANTMENT...
    WHERE nmsu SUCKS!!!

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thanks to f5dryline For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you TheLoboMan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,496 Times in 2,180 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 540 Times in 209 Posts
    Yes they have been approved. The BOR did not hear the first time how they were going to be paid for.

For some reason the media doesn't get it. Our athletic department is 80% self sufficient. In other words only 20% of the budget comes from the school or taxpayer money. This is why I'd don't have a problem with the trip to Scotland and how it was paid. They made $250,000 directly for the athletic department. This is why the foundation would not pay the trip. The money was going directly to athletics and NOT to the Lobo Club. Had the Lobo Club been the recepient of thriney the Foundation would have paid the trip. What's even worse is that if this trip doesn't happen then we don't get the money.

I just wish Larry Barker and the village idiot Daniel Libit would report facts from both sides!!!!

I used to like Larry Barker. He has lost it and the tickets sold story was the dumbest story ever for anyone. What was the purpose??? UNM follows the rules. I don't think the fans give a damn what's reported. As long as UNM follows the rules who cares. All schools do it this way. It's been discussed on this board for years and years. Maybe Larry should have read this board before doing a non story. He reported on the Scotland trip only giving the negative side. A good reporter gives facts on both sides so they don't make themselves look stupid.

I did email Larry asking him what his angle is on the reporting of attendance issue. I've known Larry for years. He's getting old.

4. The Following 10 Users Say Thanks to TheLoboMan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,471 Times in 389 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 37 Times in 11 Posts
    Fantastic. With Gonzaga, hopefully, joining the MWC in basketball, and teams across the league stepping it up in football, UNM can ill afford to be failing to keep up with the Wyomings and CSUs of the world. We need this upgrade.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to VenturaLobo For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you Doublealum's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 25,206 Times in 5,077 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 672 Times in 314 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLoboMan View Post
    Yes they have been approved. The BOR did not hear the first time how they were going to be paid for.

For some reason the media doesn't get it. Our athletic department is 80% self sufficient. In other words only 20% of the budget comes from the school or taxpayer money. This is why I'd don't have a problem with the trip to Scotland and how it was paid. They made $250,000 directly for the athletic department. This is why the foundation would not pay the trip. The money was going directly to athletics and NOT to the Lobo Club. Had the Lobo Club been the recepient of thriney the Foundation would have paid the trip. What's even worse is that if this trip doesn't happen then we don't get the money.

I just wish Larry Barker and the village idiot Daniel Libit would report facts from both sides!!!!

I used to like Larry Barker. He has lost it and the tickets sold story was the dumbest story ever for anyone. What was the purpose??? UNM follows the rules. I don't think the fans give a damn what's reported. As long as UNM follows the rules who cares. All schools do it this way. It's been discussed on this board for years and years. Maybe Larry should have read this board before doing a non story. He reported on the Scotland trip only giving the negative side. A good reporter gives facts on both sides so they don't make themselves look stupid.

I did email Larry asking him what his angle is on the reporting of attendance issue. I've known Larry for years. He's getting old.
    you are correct that about 80% comes from athletic proceeds BUT those are still public money. You just can't spend public money no matter how small (in this case virtually all of it is public money) for the benefit of private persons - period. It violates the anti-donation clause of our constitution. However, that is a different issue all together than the locker room renovation as you are correct that only around 20% will be coming out of budget that could go to other departments of the university - whole different discussion. Also, the attendance issue is again totally different & I agree with you that Barker is way off base and there is no story there.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Doublealum For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 15 Times in 13 Posts
    So what was Larry's angle?

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoboMan View Post

Thread Information