Hello, and welcome to The Lobo Lair ! Is this your first visit?
Register
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,973 Times in 1,069 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 16 Times in 11 Posts

Dave Rose: BYU can survive without Gonzaga in the WCC, but adjustments will need to be made

First Post Banner

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thanks to damianshorns For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,453 Times in 1,321 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 242 Times in 120 Posts
    That makes it sound like BYU has no interest in the MW, but then again the BYU hoops coach can't do anything more than talk about hypotheticals at this point.

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you Jeffinthe505's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,210 Times in 3,084 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 254 Times in 146 Posts
    That is all ego talking. BYU would be hard-pressed to be as or more relevant without Gonzaga. That interview was BYU blowing smoke. IMO

5. The Following 8 Users Say Thanks to Jeffinthe505 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,215 Times in 810 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 59 Times in 39 Posts
    Delusional BYU perspective, as usual. They're in bad shape if Gonzaga bolts.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thanks to LoboNegro For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,060 Times in 1,171 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 681 Times in 598 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by damianshorns View Post

He sounds more like the sad sack who just got dumped by his hot girlfriend. "I'll be fine. I didn't like her very much anyway."

No way I want BYU back in this conference. Love to hate 'em, but I'll do it from afar. The way they tried to dismantle this league -- they made their bed, now they can lie in it.

Keep on tryin' for that Big 12 bid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. The Following 7 Users Say Thanks to ricoLobo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 8,157 Times in 1,624 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 62 Times in 47 Posts
    This makes me think even more than Gonzaga will be in the MWC next season and BYU is doubling down on their football team team. Good luck with that BYU.
    "Believe or Leave"

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thanks to SoCalLobo For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you TheLoboMan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,493 Times in 2,178 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 537 Times in 207 Posts
    By staying in WCC he will be top dog like NMSU is in the WAC. That's what he wants cause he probably has bonuses tied to NCAA appearances. Just saying.

13. The Following 8 Users Say Thanks to TheLoboMan For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you txlobo95's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,282 Times in 7,953 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 465 Times in 260 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffinthe505 View Post
    That is all ego talking.
    Quote Originally Posted by LoboNegro View Post
    Delusional BYU perspective, as usual.
    I'm sure they have visions of being the ESPN darling and top dog in the WCC and ESPN throwing money at them. In reality, their football team has become a failure and their MBB without GU in the league may lose the ESPN contract in favor of the MWC. They either may no longer show any WCC games or very few. Sure, they can get to the NCAA's, but honestly without GU giving them high RPI games, their seed will be crappy, 13-15 seed going against a powerhouse team in the first round, like AZ, WV or UK this year for example. Good luck with all that...lol

I do expect this to be a homerun addition for the MWC and we won't need BYU to join the fold in the future. We'll be set with 12 teams both MBB and FB and best year, traveling partners.

15. The Following 7 Users Say Thanks to txlobo95 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,923 Times in 2,202 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 166 Times in 89 Posts
    I read it and it sounds like almost an elitist, arrogance attitude behind it. As far as I'm concerned that is why I grew to dislike BYU. They can stay where they are as far as I'm concerned. Who needs them anyway?

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thanks to RENOLOBO For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,597 Times in 1,040 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 57 Times in 41 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RENOLOBO View Post
    I read it and it sounds like almost an elitist, arrogance attitude behind it. As far as I'm concerned that is why I grew to dislike BYU. They can stay where they are as far as I'm concerned. Who needs them anyway?
    They have always been arrogant and elitist. I would love for us to beat their arrogant elitist @ss in The Pit again.

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thanks to nmdave For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,706 Times in 789 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 324 Times in 85 Posts
    Like I've said before. They can keep their bengay, more fiber eatin, geriatric team out of the MWC.
    -Sent from my Nintendo Game & Watch

21. The Following User Says Thank You to boingee For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 8,960 Times in 2,801 Posts
    My Mood
    Amused
    Groan
    Groaned 322 Times in 129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pitforever90 View Post
    That makes it sound like BYU has no interest in the MW, but then again the BYU hoops coach can't do anything more than talk about hypotheticals at this point.
    I think they just want to act as if they can do whatever they want without any consequences. What is saving BYU IMO, is MWC teams that are filling their FB schdule. If the MWC stayed away from them, they would be hurting.
    “It’s a basic truth of the human condition that everybody lies. The only variable is about what.”

“There’s no ‘I’ in team. There’s a ‘me’ though, if you jumble it up.

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thanks to Hoser For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,215 Times in 810 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 59 Times in 39 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLoboMan View Post
    By staying in WCC he will be top dog like NMSU is in the WAC. That's what he wants cause he probably has bonuses tied to NCAA appearances. Just saying.
    That may be true, but with the easy conference schedule comes terrible seeds in the NCAAs, 12 or worse, on a regular basis
    Last edited by LoboNegro; 03-13-2018 at 03:44 PM.

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts
    BYU made an epic mistake following Utah out of the MWC. We were stuck with them along with their arrogance, and seniors who were older than some of our assistant coaches. They filed for divorce and let us off the hook. We should never take them back. They are way down in all major sports, and their traditional rivalries are all but gone. They made their bed; now let them lie in it.

26. The Following 11 Users Say Thanks to PowayAztec For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,892 Times in 1,208 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 422 Times in 130 Posts
    Everything at BYU is centered around the football program, they don't count on the conference for anything. They would be happy in a conference where they are the only real threat to get a bid, so they won't miss Gonzaga at all. They don't count on conference for money, recruiting, TV, they don't need a conference for anything, just helps them get enough games.
    "I led the league in 'Go get 'em next time.'" - Bob Uecker

Thanks
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by BobOso View Post
    Everything at BYU is centered around the football program, they don't count on the conference for anything. They would be happy in a conference where they are the only real threat to get a bid, so they won't miss Gonzaga at all. They don't count on conference for money, recruiting, TV, they don't need a conference for anything, just helps them get enough games.
    I couldn’t disagree more.
    First of all, going independent hasn’t paid off like they thought it would.
    Also, you can’t tell me that if they got an offer from a P5 conference , for all sports, they wouldn’t take it.
    Gonzaga bolstered their basketball program.
    So, if it didn’t matter, they could have simply joined the WAC (or similar conference) and immediately been kings of that conference.
    The misplayed their hand and overvalued themselves in regards to going independent.
    Tell me their basketball (or football for the most part) program has been as relevant as when they were in the MWC (or the OLD WAC).

Here’s the proof:

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb...brigham-young/
    Last edited by Jeffinthe505; 03-14-2018 at 08:59 AM.

29. The Following 4 Users Say Thanks to Jeffinthe505 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 285 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 46 Times in 13 Posts
    If Gonzaga does leave the account, I still don’t see BYU being the top dog in that conference. Saint Mary’s will probably take that crown. BYU will be the number 2 for sure tho. Saint Mary’s better improve that out of conference schedule tho, just in case they slip up in their conference tourney like this year. I’m sure the Lobos would b happy scheduling a home n home series with Saint Mary’s starting next year lol can only help both teams in my opinion

Thanks
    Thanked 13,464 Times in 4,358 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 879 Times in 459 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LoboNegro View Post
    That may be true, but with the easy conference schedule comes terrible seeds in the NCAAs, 12 or worse, on a regular basis
    And think how embarrassing it will be for BYU when St. Mary's beats them for the conference crown and conference tourney championship.

Rose is just putting lipstick on a pig. They will have to play a slew of P5 programs on the road, early in the season. On most seasons that will give them a poor record. It will take a miracle for them to get an at large bid, or a decent seed on any given season. BYU wants to be a nationally prominent program. If they stay in the WCC after Gonzaga leaves they will be the equivalent of NMSU.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,892 Times in 1,208 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 422 Times in 130 Posts
    I couldn’t disagree with that more.
    First of all, going independent hasn’t paid off like they thought it would.
    Also, you can’t tell me that if they got an offer from a P5 conference , for all sports, they wouldn’t take it.
    Gonzaga bolstered their basketball program.
    So, if it didn’t matter, they could have simply joined the WAC (or similar conference) and immediately been kings of that conference.
    The misplayed their hand and overvalued themselves in regards to going independent.
    Tell me their basketball (or football for the most part) program has been as relevant as when they were in the MWC (or the OLD WAC).

Here’s the proof:

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb...brigham-young/
    They didn't do as good as Utah or TCU, point is unless a P5 comes calling, they don't don't care. They already have they recruiting base and TV contract.
    "I led the league in 'Go get 'em next time.'" - Bob Uecker

Thanks
    Groan
    They didn't do as good as Utah or TCU, point is unless a P5 comes calling, they don't don't care. They already have they recruiting base and TV contract.
    "They don't care." HUH?

I think you might be missing the point.
    They are becoming increasingly LESS competitive and that hurts recruiting...PERIOD! Utah and Utah State will get those recruits.
    Also, not many people tune in to watch an irrelevant program play in a very weak conference.

Of course they care...they are missing out on money and exposure. If...when Gonzaga leaves the WCC, you think they (the WCC) will still have the same TV coverage???
    Noobody is going to pay for the BYU network (especially if you're not from BYU/Utah) to watch a game between BYU and Santa Clara.

So, yes, I bet they do care and I bet they care a LOT!

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Jeffinthe505 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 7,003 Times in 1,659 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 102 Times in 68 Posts
    They didn't do as good as Utah or TCU, point is unless a P5 comes calling, they don't don't care. They already have ,,,, TV contract.
    I get BYU knows football is where most of the money is and they do have the ESPN contract through 2019. But if they are not careful and stay at below .500 the next 2 seasons, I am not so sure ESPN will be as eager. BYU may have fans nationwide, but that doesn't mean they will watch a loser. And since BYU is no Notre Dame, not many others are tuned in to watch them. I certainly don't care.

The days of Lavell Edwards are long gone. And in those days they were the dominating power of the WAC. This is no different than how Boise is seen today. Lavell did bring creditability to the WAC and the MWC. And of all teams, the P12 picks, Utah, who btw won two BCS Bowl Series game. And then TCU did the same thing and gets pecked by the B12. All of sudden, the conference BYU built turned on them. Despite all this, they will survive, but survive in their world.

So if the MWC is not good enough to BYU, so be it. Heck to them for football and basketball.

Thanks
    Groan
    "They don't care." HUH?

I think you might be missing the point.
    They are becoming increasingly LESS competitive and that hurts recruiting...PERIOD! Utah and Utah State will get those recruits.
    Also, not many people tune in to watch an irrelevant program play in a very weak conference.

Of course they care...they are missing out on money and exposure. If...when Gonzaga leaves the WCC, you think they (the WCC) will still have the same TV coverage???
    Noobody is going to pay for the BYU network (especially if you're not from BYU/Utah) to watch a game between BYU and Santa Clara.

So, yes, I bet they do care and I bet they care a LOT!
    I have to agree with BobOso. If you go to their forums and their newspapers, they really don't care. And I believe the administrators feel that way too. However, they do care about their world, after all, they did try to destroy the conference they built (MWC) with "the project".
    Last edited by hobo; 03-14-2018 at 09:26 AM.

Thanks
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by hobo View Post
    I have to agree with BobOso. If you go to their forums and their newspapers, they really don't care. And I believe the administrators feel that way too. However, they do care about their world, after all, they did try to destroy the conference they built (MWC) with "the project".
    Their admin and fan forums are two totally different worlds. IMO

To say a school doesn't care about money is off the mark...at least that's the way I see it.

Like I said, BYU has been worse as an [athletics] program since leaving the MWC. I'm not saying we are the be all end all of conferences buit unless they get a better offer, the MWC will be better for them than the WCC...ESPECIALLY, if Gonzaga leaves and comes to the MWC. Remember, the talk was that BYU would only be independent for a short while before P5 realignment brought them into one of those conferences. Well, that hasn't exactly happened.

This is a good little snippet:

https://www.reddit.com/r/CFB/comment...o_back_to_the/

Thanks
    Groan
    Their admin and fan forums are two totally different worlds. IMO

To say a school doesn't care about money is off the mark...at least that's the way I see it.

Like I said, BYU has been worse as an [athletics] program since leaving the MWC. I'm not saying we are the be all end all of conferences buit unless they get a better offer, the MWC will be better for them than the WCC...ESPECIALLY, if Gonzaga leaves and comes to the MWC. Remember, the talk was that BYU would only be independent for a short while before P5 realignment brought them into one of those conferences. Well, that hasn't exactly happened.

This is a good little snippet:

https://www.reddit.com/r/CFB/comment...o_back_to_the/
    You state that their fan forums are in another world, but yet you share a link, to a fan post? But I do get what you are trying say. It is just my opinion, I don't think their Administration is willing to omit they are wrong, and I believe the Administration is backed up by the Church. BYU has always depended upon their worldwide community, who are not all alumni. That is bigger than a conference to them. They hate the fact that Utah is picked above them, so they keep trying in their world.

Thanks
    Groan
    You state that their fan forums are in another world, but yet you share a link, to a fan post? But I do get what you are trying say. It is just my opinion, I don't think their Administration is willing to omit they are wrong, and I believe the Administration is backed up by the Church. BYU has always depended upon their worldwide community, who are not all alumni. That is bigger than a conference to them. They hate the fact that Utah is picked above them, so they keep trying in their world.
    The link was to show that there are people/entities that make the practical argument....that most of us are also making.

The admin is acting out of ego and just doing what almost any other school would do and say in the same position and not wanting to show their hand by admitting that Gonzaga leaving the WCC is bad for BYU.

Their fans, for the most part, are just delusional if they think otherwise. That's what being a fan is about though...right?

Thanks
    Groan
    The admin is acting out of ego and just doing what almost any other school would do and say in the same position and not wanting to show their hand by admitting that Gonzaga leaving the WCC is bad for BYU.

Their fans, for the most part, are just delusional if they think otherwise. That's what being a fan is about though...right?
    Their admins are much more different than admins at other schools. Most of their Admins also went to BYU too. Remember it is a tight community, unlike most schools who have many many outsiders, not alumni. Their admins just don't represent the school, but they represent the Church. And the Church has their interest too. Yes their fans are delusional and they tend to side with their delusional Admins. I think you will find that most of their fans are very supportive of their admins and their decisions, because they share the same delusions.

Thanks
    Groan
    Their admins are much more different than admins at other schools. Most of their Admins also went to BYU too. Remember it is a tight community, unlike most schools who have many many outsiders, not alumni. Their admins just don't represent the school, but they represent the Church. And the Church has their interest too. Yes their fans are delusional and they tend to side with their delusional Admins. I think you will find that most of their fans are very supportive of their admins and their decisions, because they share the same delusions.
    Regardless, the school and their admin (and the church) must look out for their best interest.

Aside from getting an invite to a P5 conference, how does staying in the WCC (if Gonzaga leaves) and Independent in FB benefit them or make them stronger, etc.?

The answer, it doesn't. It does just the opposite. IMO

Thread Information