Hello, and welcome to The Lobo Lair ! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Its Mr Lobo Lair to you Lobo_for_life's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,390 Times in 2,617 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 2,982 Times in 2,209 Posts

The "ax-to-grind" theory gains even more traction ..............

First Post Banner
    Here is a link to another piece of information ....

http://www.abqjournal.com/1145767/da...nd-sunday.html

I would think Abdallah needs a good attorney.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thanks to Lobo_for_life For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 54,838 Times in 12,865 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 702 Times in 410 Posts
    Garnett Stokes needs to fire Abdallah. That would be a good start for the new UNM prez.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to LoboMike For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you Doublealum's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,860 Times in 5,018 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 660 Times in 306 Posts
    if Davie sues (absolutely no guarantee of that especially given his daughter letter to the editor - it appears he may just want to put it all behind him and get back to coaching), Abdallah will be provided an attorney at no expense to him and coverage by NM's Risk Management if any settlement is reached or verdict is rendered in favor of Davie.

Thanks
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by LoboMike View Post
    Garnett Stokes needs to fire Abdallah. That would be a good start for the new UNM prez.
    I thought Abdallah was gone. Was he reassigned to another position at UNM?

Thanks
    Thanked 54,838 Times in 12,865 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 702 Times in 410 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lobo_for_life View Post
    I thought Abdallah was gone. Was he reassigned to another position at UNM?
    Yeah, he goes back to being provost or whatever it was that he had before being interim president.

Thanks
    Groan
    He has returned to his Provost position -basically one step below the Pres. on the academic side of the University - David Harris, Sr. VP for finance is # 2 on the money side of the University, including among a lot else, athletic's budget. Of course, they all, including the Pres., answer to the Regents.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,961 Times in 2,801 Posts
    My Mood
    Amused
    Groan
    Groaned 322 Times in 129 Posts
    Or maybe suspend him for 60 days with no pay? That would probably be a better punishment IMO.
    “It’s a basic truth of the human condition that everybody lies. The only variable is about what.”

“There’s no ‘I’ in team. There’s a ‘me’ though, if you jumble it up.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thanks to Hoser For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused
    Groan
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The letter says pretty much what I thought it would based on the reports that were released a few weeks ago. It states the specific policy violations that led to Coach Davie's suspension, and I'm sure UNM's legal counsel thoroughly reviewed it before it was delivered. There's no surprise here.

I guess I don't see how this shows former Pres. Abdallah has an axe to grind against Coach Davie. Can someone explain?

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to FlyingLobo For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you UNM Class of 1972's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,719 Times in 3,671 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 598 Times in 286 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyingLobo View Post
    The letter says pretty much what I thought it would based on the reports that were released a few weeks ago. It states the specific policy violations that led to Coach Davie's suspension, and I'm sure UNM's legal counsel thoroughly reviewed it before it was delivered. There's no surprise here.

I guess I don't see how this shows former Pres. Abdallah has an axe to grind against Coach Davie. Can someone explain?
    I agree but also fully support Davie. There are some anti-Semitic attitudes by at least on poster directed toward Abdallah. So someone has an ax for life to grind.

Thanks
    Groan
    The specific allegations in the letter are mainly a reiteration of the previous allegations that were found to be unsubstantiated except for Davies' apparent failure to report the allegation of sexual misconduct (again an allegation that I believe never was subsataniated) to be he universitiy's office of equal opportunity - although Davie asserts that UNM police and other university authorities were aware (seems like a fairly technical violation under those circumstances) + Davie asking his AA assistants if he had offended the AA players - the acting Pres states in his letter that such asking could be coercion and thus adversely impact the investigation although all the Assitants said they were not in any way coerced. I think just as reasonable explanation is that Davie was sensitive to how his words (see Teton Saltes' rendition of what happened) might have been viewed by his AA players and wanted to learn from those in the best position to teach/know Again, it seems the punishment does not fit the alleged "crime."

Why then would Abdallah do it. I don't think he has an ax to grind against Davie - I think he was following the orders of the controlling Regents - they truly hold the power and I think their action of refusing to even hear Davie's appeal with his version of the facts supports that conclusion. I speculate That with a new AD coming on board (picked by the present Regents) from a football rich conference, they were/are hoping Davie resigns so the new AD and they can choose a new HC - they knew that had insufficient grounds to fire him and therefore would owe money they don't have but embarrassing Davie to the point of his resignation is a freebie. Just another possible take.
    Last edited by Doublealum; 03-14-2018 at 07:10 PM.

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thanks to Doublealum For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoser View Post
    Or maybe suspend him for 60 days with no pay? That would probably be a better punishment IMO.
    Good one.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Lobo_for_life For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan

The reasons for suspension were not proven in any way.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to Lobo_for_life For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you catherine's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,761 Times in 2,029 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 58 Times in 28 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNM Class of 1972 View Post
    I agree but also fully support Davie. There are some anti-Semitic attitudes by at least on poster directed toward Abdallah. So someone has an ax for life to grind.
    OK ... I'm not following all of this all that closely ... but what anti-semitic comments are you referring to? Is Abdullah Jewish? If so, what does his religion or heritage have to do with anything in this mess?

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thanks to catherine For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you elmassuave's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,553 Times in 1,954 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 98 Times in 49 Posts
    Abdallah's actions in this matter make him appear incompetent. So, rather than a 30-day suspension, I would recommend Abdallah be fired.
    "Do something that helps people. Do something of service. It will always make you feel good about your life." - Robert Asbridge

"A quiet and modest life brings more joy than a pursuit of success bound with constant unrest." - Albert Einstein

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thanks to elmassuave For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by elmassuave View Post
    Abdallah's actions in this matter make him appear incompetent. So, rather than a 30-day suspension, I would recommend Abdallah be fired.
    Hopefully you are consulted on the matter!

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to Lobo_for_life For This Useful Post:

26. The Following User has GroanedLobo_for_life For This Un-Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    OK ... I'm not following all of this all that closely ... but what anti-semitic comments are you referring to? Is Abdullah Jewish? If so, what does his religion or heritage have to do with anything in this mess?
    Arabic people are also Semitic. I believe Lebanese people are Arabic although some say they originated from Phoenicians (not the Arizona ones). Anyway a poster on the Scout site made a snide comment and I have seen similar comments implying such here. I say let him go back to his old job and leave him alone.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to UNM Class of 1972 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 8,781 Times in 2,434 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 202 Times in 120 Posts
    Arabic people are also Semitic. I believe Lebanese people are Arabic although some say they originated from Phoenicians (not the Arizona ones). Anyway a poster on the Scout site made a snide comment and I have seen similar comments implying such here. I say let him go back to his old job and leave him alone.
    Antisemitism is specifically against Jews...not the broader group of people/cultures that speak Semitic languages.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to MaxLobo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Geez.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Lobo_for_life For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxLobo View Post
    Antisemitism is specifically against Jews...not the broader group of people/cultures that speak Semitic languages.
    That (antisemitism = specially against Jews) has been its customary use but the above poster is also correct that peoples from that region are generally classified as Semites. In any event, I'm pretty sure he is not Jewish but regardless his religion or place of origin either or both should be irrelevant to the discussion. In my estimation, he was doing a good job as Provost but as an acting Pres. he had very little authority but lots of demands/requirements to follow Regents directives and I suspect that the action against Davie was one of them.

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to Doublealum For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 8,781 Times in 2,434 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 202 Times in 120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Doublealum View Post
    That (antisemitism = specially against Jews) has been its customary use but the above poster is also correct that peoples from that region are generally classified as Semites. In any event, I'm pretty sure he is not Jewish but regardless his religion or place of origin either or both should be irrelevant to the discussion. In my estimation, he was doing a good job as Provost but as an acting Pres. he had very little authority but lots of demands/requirements to follow Regents directives and I suspect that the action against Davie was one of them.
    I've never seen any definition of 'antisemitism' that extends at all beyond Jewish people. Curious if you have(?)

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to MaxLobo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxLobo View Post
    I've never seen any definition of 'antisemitism' that extends at all beyond Jewish people. Curious if you have(?)
    I don't know for sure about a "definition" but I have never seen the term used except as it applies to Jews only. That is my experience.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused
    Groan
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lobo_for_life View Post
    The reasons for suspension were not proven in any way.
    The failure to report the alleged sexual assault to OEO is pretty cut and dry. Even if Coach Davie felt that reporting it to campus police was sufficient, UNMs policy manual says otherwise. Like I said, UNMs lawyers would have made sure they could back up the grounds for the suspension. It's kinda chicken s**t to levy a 30 day suspension for something that Davie reported, just not to everyone that was required, but it is what UNM could prove as policy violations.

The rest of the allegations are ugly though unproven and UNM was afraid to look like they were just brushing it under the rug, so they did what they could. It's a crap situation for Davie, Abdallah, the Board of Regents....really everyone involved. Why? Read below.

Why then would Abdallah do it. I don't think he has an ax to grind against Davie - I think he was following the orders of the controlling Regents - they truly hold the power and I think their action of refusing to even hear Davie's appeal with his version of the facts supports that conclusion. I speculate That with a new AD coming on board (picked by the present Regents) from a football rich conference, they were/are hoping Davie resigns so the new AD and they can choose a new HC - they knew that had insufficient grounds to fire him and therefore would owe money they don't have but embarrassing Davie to the point of his resignation is a freebie. Just another possible take.
    I don't think the motivation was to run off Davie so the new AD could pick his guy.

Remember, UNM is a lot more than an athletic department and as a public institution has to pay attention to the wider environment . The budget for UNM this year was a little over $2.9 billion, with athletics being roughly 2% of that budget. In the last few years we've seen Black Lives Matter and #MeToo become major movements in this country. That makes allegations of racially insensitive remarks and trying to bury a sexual assault absolutely incendiary, especially for a university that receives taxpayer funding from both the state and federal governments. Abdallah and the Board of Regents were concerned with protecting not just the athletic department, but the university, and I feel that has more bearing on their response than trying to give the new AD a chance to pick his football coach.

39. The Following 3 Users Say Thanks to FlyingLobo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    I incorrectly used the term but it was not intentional. I can not explain my confusion. My only point was that there were several posts, particularly on the old Red Menace site, directed at Abdallah that I thought were cheap shots. Time to move on and let Davie do his job and also let Abdallah do his old job.

41. The Following 4 Users Say Thanks to UNM Class of 1972 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Duplicate post.

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you judas_priest's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,551 Times in 3,632 Posts
    My Mood
    Worried
    Groan
    Groaned 200 Times in 108 Posts
    I don't know for sure about a "definition" but I have never seen the term used except as it applies to Jews only. That is my experience.
    For general background, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antisemitism.

The term came into use after the formation of the Anti-Semitic League in Germany in 1879 by one Wilhelm Marr. He expressly identified the term with being anti-Jewish, and not anti Semites in general. While there is some debate about what kinds of behaviors and ideas are included within the concept, it has never been applied to hatred against other Semites except by the ignorant or disingenuous.

44. The Following 5 Users Say Thanks to judas_priest For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,662 Times in 506 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 66 Times in 31 Posts
    Getting back to the original topic it’s difficult to see proof that Davie should have been suspended.

However the situation hung over the team the entire year, it was easy to see from far away something was wrong with the 2017 Lobos. Maybe there were other problems also, the point is this team did not play like most Davie UNM teams.

Possibly poor leadership from the players, possibly issues with the offense moving the ball, possibly the defense not performing.
    Last edited by Soonlobo; 03-18-2018 at 09:03 AM.

Thanks
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by judas_priest View Post
    For general background, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antisemitism.

The term came into use after the formation of the Anti-Semitic League in Germany in 1879 by one Wilhelm Marr. He expressly identified the term with being anti-Jewish, and not anti Semites in general. While there is some debate about what kinds of behaviors and ideas are included within the concept, it has never been applied to hatred against other Semites except by the ignorant or disingenuous.
    yes, that conforms with my experience and appears to be the general application at least here in the western world. Notwithstanding that generally accepted application of the word, it is also true that Jews are not the only Semitic peoples. Again, regardless it clear to me that whatever the ethnic background of our former acting Universtiy president may be, it is or should be irrelevant to this discussion.

Thanks
    Groan
    The failure to report the alleged sexual assault to OEO is pretty cut and dry. Even if Coach Davie felt that reporting it to campus police was sufficient, UNMs policy manual says otherwise. Like I said, UNMs lawyers would have made sure they could back up the grounds for the suspension. It's kinda chicken s**t to levy a 30 day suspension for something that Davie reported, just not to everyone that was required, but it is what UNM could prove as policy violations.

The rest of the allegations are ugly though unproven and UNM was afraid to look like they were just brushing it under the rug, so they did what they could. It's a crap situation for Davie, Abdallah, the Board of Regents....really everyone involved. Why? Read below.

I don't think the motivation was to run off Davie so the new AD could pick his guy.

Remember, UNM is a lot more than an athletic department and as a public institution has to pay attention to the wider environment . The budget for UNM this year was a little over $2.9 billion, with athletics being roughly 2% of that budget. In the last few years we've seen Black Lives Matter and #MeToo become major movements in this country. That makes allegations of racially insensitive remarks and trying to bury a sexual assault absolutely incendiary, especially for a university that receives taxpayer funding from both the state and federal governments. Abdallah and the Board of Regents were concerned with protecting not just the athletic department, but the university, and I feel that has more bearing on their response than trying to give the new AD a chance to pick his football coach.
    You may be correct and imo, should be correct. I agree that the "fear" of appearing to do nothing in the face of such serious allegations probably had a lot to do with the decision. I also agree that the Regents should have greater more important things on their plate that who is the AD or football coach; however, I must report that in my experience, that all too often is not the case. They have (especially the more powerful Regents) inserted themselves in a very significant way into the "politics" of the athletic department in a way I find to be too much for a group that is supposed to just be setting general policy guidelines for the university and allowing the administration to carry out those directives. For example, I suggest that Dowdy spent an inordinate amount of time and energy actually picking the new AD. Therefore, while I don't profess to know, I would not be surprised that both the fear of the appearance of not doing anything after the fishbowl and Boatwright allegations went public + the desire to "be right" about the new AD and his wishes for who is at the helm of our two most public programs (football and basketball) went into the a directive to Abdalla to do what he did. If not a Regent initiated action why wouldn't they at least hear Davie's appeal rather that refuse to even allow him to present his "side" of what happened - they were sending him a very clear message but they know they "don't have the goods on him" to actually fire him for cause and can't afford the buy-out.

If Coach Davie just rides it out and, it will be interesting to see what happens - I suggest that if he is successful on the field and in putting more folks in the stands (maybe the real reason behind his change of offense) the Regents will be hard put to ratchet up the pressure but if not so great, then watch for more non-direct methods being employed until his contract time is up. Just a somewhat educated guess.

48. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to Doublealum For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,388 Times in 1,140 Posts
    My Mood
    Amused
    Groan
    Groaned 80 Times in 41 Posts
    Plus....UNM Regent=NM Governor which will change soon.....

Pitboss
    Can you believe my neighbor came knocking at my door at 2:30 AM this morning......Good thing I was still up playing my bagpipes......

.....maybe next year......

Thanks
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by pitboss View Post
    Plus....UNM Regent=NM Governor which will change soon.....

Pitboss
    the governor will but the Regents are appointed on a staggered basis so there will not be a wholesale change when there is a new governor - it will take years but it will be interesting to see how the politics work on the BoR upon a new governor's first couple of appointments and budget influence.

51. The Following User Says Thank You to Doublealum For This Useful Post:

Thread Information