Hello, and welcome to The Lobo Lair ! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,450 Times in 596 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 702 Times in 144 Posts
    First Post Banner
    Quote Originally Posted by UNMerciful_1 View Post
    Aren't there scholarships for cheerleading and dance teams that count towards Title IX compliance?
    Nope

Thanks
    Thanked 1,031 Times in 116 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thanks to Isabel Gonzalez For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by Isabel Gonzalez View Post
    Considering the MWC doesn't have enough teams that compete in MSoc to field a league, and when you look at the limited other options available I think dropping men's soccer is as close to a no brainer as you can get.

5. The Following User has GroanedDarkside For This Un-Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 5 Times in 3 Posts
    Cutting Men’s Soccer would be quite sad and ill-advised. It is and has been a very successful program with a supportive fan base. Hope they go another route.

7. The Following 9 Users Say Thanks to kb466 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 20,383 Times in 7,012 Posts
    My Mood
    Amused
    Groan
    Groaned 165 Times in 95 Posts
    So was our men's gymnastic team.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to loboray For This Useful Post:

TLL.com Womens Moderator Lobo2x53's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,126 Times in 3,965 Posts
    My Mood
    Fine
    Groan
    Groaned 80 Times in 63 Posts
    That is sad and unfortunate.

So much for "we want to keep the sports we can do well in" if this is true.

I am not surprised, but saddened. Another sport that NM kids do well in is sacrificed for one they don't do well in.

Someone explain to me again the purpose of college athletics?

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to Lobo2x53 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,857 Times in 1,137 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 55 Times in 31 Posts
    Five Sweet 16 appearances. Two Final Four College Cup appearances. And one runner-up in 2005. Under Jeremy Fishbein.

13. The Following 10 Users Say Thanks to lbc7 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,393 Times in 805 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 65 Times in 30 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lbc7 View Post
    Five Sweet 16 appearances. Two Final Four College Cup appearances. And one runner-up in 2005. Under Jeremy Fishbein.

I have moved into the "cut football" or drop down a level. This is dumb, doing the same thing over and over expecting different results. (And I coach high school football...)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to UNMfan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Which is more important - keeping football at the FBS level or keeping a spot in the MWC? That's really the key question for Eddie & his crew.

Until the conference by-laws change football is required to be a full member of the MWC (so are volleyball, M & W basketball, and one additional sport for each gender. See page 40 - section 1.2: http://themw.com/documents/2018/2/14...18_Rev_Feb.pdf

Would dropping to FCS - and in turn dropping the scholarship count in FB to 63 be enough of a cut to save other sports - assuming the resulting revenue cut wouldn't be noticed? Would going to the WAC or Big Sky be palatable to Lobo fans? That's about the only option - C-USA requires FBS football, WCC is religious schools, Big West is Cali schools + Hawaii - so instead of playing CSU/AFA/WYO we've got a conference schedule with CS-Bakersfield/Cal-Baptist/Grand Canyon or NAU/No. Colorado/Southern Utah.

Then again if the MWC turns into another 1-2 bid league maybe the change wouldn't be that big of a deal.

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 20 Times in 5 Posts
    For all of the people that want “local” kids participating at a D1 level, UNM Soccer has been a bright spot. If you want to support “local” athletes, keep soccer and drop football.

https://www.abqjournal.com/1130644/u...m_campaign=amp
    Last edited by DivineGooch; 2 Days Ago at 03:29 PM.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to DivineGooch For This Useful Post:

19. The Following 2 Users Have Groaned DivineGooch For This Un-Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 31 Times in 6 Posts
    Everyone is getting caught up in the wrong argument. No, we are not dropping down a level in football. But I think it’s completely reasonable to have a conversation about cutting football’s budget. Some sports need to go but cutting arguably our best program with a strong fan base is insanity!

21. The Following User Says Thank You to CardinalLobo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by CardinalLobo View Post
    Everyone is getting caught up in the wrong argument. No, we are not dropping down a level in football. But I think it’s completely reasonable to have a conversation about cutting football’s budget. Some sports need to go but cutting arguably our best program with a strong fan base is insanity!
    If Lobo Football replaced Incarnate Word with another $$$ road game, Voila, there is half the money. Now you only need to cut a couple sports instead of 4-5.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to Darkside For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you loboaddict's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,324 Times in 2,247 Posts
    My Mood
    Cool
    Groan
    Groaned 85 Times in 59 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkside View Post
    If Lobo Football replaced Incarnate Word with another $$$ road game, Voila, there is half the money. Now you only need to cut a couple sports instead of 4-5.
    Except they would need to play two $1M buy games every single season, and I don't know if you can count on that happening. Whatever solution that they come up with needs to either reduce recurring expenses or increase recurring revenues by about $2M per year (according to their numbers). Any temporary fixes would just be kicking the can down the road and delaying the inevitable tough decisions. And all of these people talking about cutting/reducing football, well that's just not realistically going to happen for many reasons, so I don't know why we keep beating that dead horse.

I don't think mens soccer moving to C-USA was a fiscally smart decision. It had to increase travel costs significantly. Also, adding beach volleyball when they are having budget issues - what were they thinking? And beach volleyball in Albuquerque? Where's the beach?

Thanks
    Thanked 8,481 Times in 2,879 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 416 Times in 140 Posts
    this is the WINNER!!! except for cutting anything but skiing...suck it up UNM and fund these sports!

Trinidad and Tobago 2...USA 1

US Men's National Team
    Alexi Lalas, "Are you going to continue to be a bunch of soft, underperforming, tattooed millionaires? You are a soccer generation that has been given everything; you are a soccer generation who's on the verge of squandering everything."

26. The Following User Says Thank You to zoom For This Useful Post:

TLL.com Womens Moderator Lobo2x53's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,126 Times in 3,965 Posts
    My Mood
    Fine
    Groan
    Groaned 80 Times in 63 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkside View Post
    YES!!! If you want to keep FB that is not supported by New Mexicans, then yes, they should have to try and do exactly that.

Quote Originally Posted by loboaddict View Post
    Except they would need to play two $1M buy games every single season, and I don't know if you can count on that happening. Whatever solution that they come up with needs to either reduce recurring expenses or increase recurring revenues by about $2M per year (according to their numbers). Any temporary fixes would just be kicking the can down the road and delaying the inevitable tough decisions. And all of these people talking about cutting/reducing football, well that's just not realistically going to happen for many reasons, so I don't know why we keep beating that dead horse.

I don't think mens soccer moving to C-USA was a fiscally smart decision. It had to increase travel costs significantly. Also, adding beach volleyball when they are having budget issues - what were they thinking? And beach volleyball in Albuquerque? Where's the beach?
    I agree it may not happen, but that is what part of the solution should be. If and when the team can actually build a fan base to a reasonable level, this can be relooked (though the extra $$$ is probably a very good idea at least until debts are paid, budgets stabilized at or near a break-even level. An additional body-bag game is not an unreasonable price at all to reduce the loss of more other sports. And it won't count in the Conf standings, so it would be minimal impact to winning the MWC on those occasions where we are competitive.

Yes, it may not be sustainable long term, but it should be the goal, and should be the AD's job to arrange, not the FB coach who will never like the idea.

Soccer travel costs? How do they line up vs football travel costs? I honestly don't know but it is an interesting question.

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you String Music's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,184 Times in 2,559 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 9 Times in 9 Posts
    The Pac-12 only has five men's soccer teams plus San Diego State. But they have 12 women's soccer teams. The SEC doesn't have a men's soccer league either.

The general trend across the NCAA is that women's volleyball and soccer offset some of the men's football scholarships in the fall. So men's volleyball and soccer have to be sacrificed.

It would be nice if UNM could get their soccer team into the PAC-12, but I doubt that would save much money. (The irony is that men's soccer probably pulls in more revenue from fan attendance than any sports besides football, basketball (M&W), and maybe baseball (just because they have more games).

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thanks to String Music For This Useful Post:

Thread Information