Hello, and welcome to The Lobo Lair ! Is this your first visit?
Register
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,151 Times in 631 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 29 Times in 20 Posts

Nike McClure signs

First Post Banner
    6 3 forward graduate transfer from Washington State signs with the Lobos. Immediately eligible! Nice get for this staff!

2. The Following 15 Users Say Thanks to mrgoodbar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,153 Times in 1,513 Posts
    My Mood
    Fine
    Groan
    Groaned 8 Times in 8 Posts

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thanks to GoLobos For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you Digital Lobo's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 47,239 Times in 11,092 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 660 Times in 415 Posts

A mile high and louder than howl

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thanks to Digital Lobo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thanks to Digital Lobo For This Useful Post:

TLL.com Womens Moderator Lobo2x53's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,132 Times in 3,967 Posts
    My Mood
    Fine
    Groan
    Groaned 80 Times in 63 Posts

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Lobo2x53 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thanks to Digital Lobo For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you String Music's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,204 Times in 2,566 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 9 Times in 9 Posts
    With ten out of thirteen players now 5-11 or taller, our size has greatly changed. While I'm pleased about that, I'm perplexed about what this means about how we will play next year. We seem to be built to play more like we did in year one with Richelle and KK than with a 4-guard-out offense.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thanks to String Music For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine
    Groan
    OK, TX, there is one post for you! ;)

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thanks to Lobo2x53 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by String Music View Post
    With ten out of thirteen players now 5-11 or taller, our size has greatly changed. While I'm pleased about that, I'm perplexed about what this means about how we will play next year. We seem to be built to play more like we did in year one with Richelle and KK than with a 4-guard-out offense.
    I suspect the staff thinks some of those taller players will be able to play like guards. Especially if you consider Tesha a guard last year.

The biggest question I would have is not the size, but who will be the 3-pt shooters to replace Alex & Tesha?

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to Lobo2x53 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine
    Groan

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thanks to Lobo2x53 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,595 Times in 2,072 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 21 Times in 20 Posts
    Welcome to the Lady Lobo family Nike, can't wait to see you on the court.

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thanks to nmsutoo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by Lobo2x53 View Post
    I suspect the staff thinks some of those taller players will be able to play like guards. Especially if you consider Tesha a guard last year.

The biggest question I would have is not the size, but who will be the 3-pt shooters to replace Alex & Tesha?
    Well, McClure appears to be an inside player. Erica is an inside player. Shaiquel appears to be primarily an inside player, although she was 3 for 8 on 3-pointers last year (not enough data to assess). Antonia played some at the 4 position on the perimeter after Alex was injured. She looked much less comfortable out there than in the lane, but will undoubtedly be groomed to play out there more in the future.

That brings us to Jaisa. I assume we aren't bringing in Nike to just play when Jaisa gets tired. And since Jaisa can shoot the mid-range jumper and Nike is more of a defensive threat than offensive threat, that would mean moving Jaisa to the 4. But I wouldn't think we'd want her playing the dribble-drive offense in the corner like Tesha played. But more like KK playing with Richelle.

As far as 3-point shooters, we have Madi for sure. Emily and Jaedyn can shoot the 3 if given a chance. Jayla made 2.1 per game, but I couldn't find her percentage. Quincy shot 29.2% from the arc. From that I'd say unless we recruit another sharp-shooter, we aren't likely to shoot as many 3's next year. But with a rim-protector inside, our defense and rebounding should improve to compensate.

We still haven't addressed the issue of what we are going to do when three senior posts graduate next year, but I guess we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to String Music For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you txlobo95's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,122 Times in 7,904 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 463 Times in 260 Posts
    Welcome to the Lobo Family Nike!!!! In that game she did the interview, she had 16 points, 16 rebounds and 6 blocked shots against WA, wow!!! I'll take about 10 of those games please!!!!

Yep, Uno was right, just a few weeks before the "official" announcement. Yes, one, for now. Really good pick-up IMO. Will help greatly with rebounding and blocking shots and yes, most likely, she will be getting plenty of minutes in various combos. Whether's its next to Jaisa or she plays center and either AA or McGruder are at the 4. My guess, Jaisa will still play as much as possible. However, this gives us a great option to really go uptempo. Now, Jaisa's minutes can be dialed back to 25 or so minutes a game while still playing all out for those 25 minutes. Bring in Nike for 15-25 minutes a game and AA and McGruder fill the rest at the 4 spot. I"m pretty excited for this signing. Addresses a MAJOR need we had.

Quote Originally Posted by String Music View Post
    I'd say unless we recruit another sharp-shooter, we aren't likely to shoot as many 3's next year. But with a rim-protector inside, our defense and rebounding should improve to compensate.

We still haven't addressed the issue of what we are going to do when three senior posts graduate next year, but I guess we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.
    I agree, sounds like we need to bring in another sharp shooter from 3 with size and speed in order to have a more balanced floor. Although, De La Cerda could fit the bill for that and possibly Emily if they play her at the 3 spot. My guess would be though, we'll run a much more motion based offense with Nike and Jaisa setting more screens and slips with guards getting inside the paint more, especially, with two physical post players ready to snatch any rebounds and get a few garbage buckets. Maybe more high low than we did last year. Tried with Tesha and Jaisa, but passes not always effective. Probably easier with a 6'3" player passing to another 6'3" player that can see over the top of the defense.

Last year when Jaisa left the game the other team always made a run on us. Not any more. Nike will be just as physical and maybe a better defender. Maybe, not as polished offensively, but an outstanding defender and rebounder.

I do think with sufficient depth up front, with McGruder, Nike and McIntosh added, we will finally be able to go fully uptempo to the highest speed possible.

To address your question, I would love to see us use one of the remaining schollies on the 6'5" transfer from Texas A & M that's only a frosh. She would be eligible after all 3 post players graduate and have 3 additional years to play. There may have also been a 6'5" from Ole Miss as well. They could learn a year in the system before they play and would be ready to contribute as a starter by the time they are eligible to play.

Also, next year, there will be more graduate transfers that will be available, if we truly needed an immediate boost up front.

This is Jaisa's Sr. year, need to make an NCAA push.

26. The Following 8 Users Say Thanks to txlobo95 For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you UNMerciful_1's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,725 Times in 3,058 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 268 Times in 155 Posts
    I would guess the main 3 point shooters would be Madi and Jayla. I would expect Antonia to take some more 3's next year especially if she's playing the 4. Her form looked good on the few she took this year. I also wouldn't be surprised to see Jaedyn getting a lot more floor time. 2x53 do you have any scouting report on Asia's shooting ability?

Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine
    Groan
    Asia was typically the PG on the scout team all season, similar to the way Tesha was on the scout team the year before. Therefore a lot of the time Asia was on the court she was taking the shots the upcoming opponent would take. That means I am not so sure what her "real" shot preference looks like. With that caveat, here is my take on her offensively:

--She has more of a scoring PG mentality than Cherise did, but she can push the ball up court as fast as Cherise, and pass the ball as accurately/fast paced as Cherise. What I do not know (haven't seen evidence of) is does she have the court vision, and can she put the right touch on her passes when necessary. I just don't know.

--As far as a shooter, I don't know her percentages, but she seemed more of a steak shooter than a consistent shooter. She would hit 5 of 6 threes, then miss five in a row. She shot a lot, but again that was partially her job--to shoot.

--I think she has a better mid-range game than Cherise, primarily because she can get open off the dribble better than Cherise. She would often drive into the paint, make a move, and get her shot off (she jumps quicker with the ball than Cherise) where as Cherise would be more likely to finish the drive to the basket or make a pass. Her mid range percentage was--I would guess--significantly better & more consistent than her overall 3-pt percentage, but that also varied day to day.

--Asia can and did drive to the basket, but not as often as Cherise would. She had some trouble finishing with contact, but no more so than a lot of players.

--Her FT shooting seemed decent, but that was almost always the FT shoot around at the end of practices. I never really saw her shoot FTs during a game situation.

--Not as good a rebounder as Cherise, but some of that again may be the team she was replicating. Also there were often several guys on "her" team who got the majority of the boards. She is not timid, and is certainly quick enough, I expect she will rebound OK.

--As a 1-on-1 defender, again, not as good as Cherise but not bad. She was often matched up against Cherise, and that doesn't help any defender look great. I did not see enough of her to tell what her D is like in a team construct with the other starters.

She will get her points. She will get some rebounds, but likely less than Cherise did. Assists it is hard to tell because I don't know the feel she will have or not have with other teammates. I did not see her in situations where she drove and had Jaisa as a target to pass to. I suspect she will be fine, but probably not SR-season Cherise numbers.

29. The Following 5 Users Say Thanks to Lobo2x53 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 10,284 Times in 3,242 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 12 Times in 12 Posts
    Well, another quick thought. With Nike, can go bigger inside. Control the boards with better and stronger defense, with Asia'a quickness and what sounds like quick recruiting class, might get more fast break opportunities. Again, I recall a Laker team years ago with Wilt and Happy Hairston controlling the boards with Goodrich, McMillan, and West getting a lot of fast breaks. That team did win 69 and a championship plus had a 33 game winning streak during the season. Don't know what the starting line up will be, but I can envision something like this: Asia, Madi and maybe McIntosh or Everett(or Noble or Mathews) with AA and Jaisa. Should be better rebounding and fast break opportunities. Hope he uses the bench more during the season and more pressure defense, take advantage of having Nike and Shaquiel with Antonia and Jaisa.
    Last edited by ldlbfn; 1 Week Ago at 07:07 PM.

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to ldlbfn For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 172 Times in 42 Posts
    Shot 30% from the floor as a freshman 28% as a sophomore. However, it seems like she wasn't happy there and I can see bigger, better in 2018/19

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to hippyboi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Aisia shot only 53.7% at the FT line her last year at Kansas. Definitely needs to improve that to be handling the ball on the floor late in close games.

Quincy (83%), Shaiquel (82%), and Jayla (77%) were all good FT shooters in H.S.

35. The Following 3 Users Say Thanks to String Music For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,734 Times in 984 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 21 Times in 9 Posts
    So I'm reading along and I read this post and start looking back thinking "did 2x owe tx a post"? I missed completely the thought that this was a post player tx has been looking for. Sometimes I do stooped goodest.

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you elmassuave's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,485 Times in 1,931 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 98 Times in 49 Posts
    Former Washington State player McClure to join UNM women’s hoops

By Ken Sickenger / Journal Staff Writer

Wednesday, April 11th, 2018 at 3:13pm

https://www.abqjournal.com/1157528/f...ens-hoops.html
    "Do something that helps people. Do something of service. It will always make you feel good about your life." - Robert Asbridge

"A quiet and modest life brings more joy than a pursuit of success bound with constant unrest." - Albert Einstein

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to elmassuave For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 20,387 Times in 7,015 Posts
    My Mood
    Amused
    Groan
    Groaned 165 Times in 95 Posts
    Actually Txlobo has been wanting Bradbury to bring in another post for next year and 2x53 just noted that Nike is one.

40. The Following User Says Thank You to loboray For This Useful Post:

Thread Information