Hello, and welcome to The Lobo Lair ! Is this your first visit?
Register

Thread: Minutes?

Thanks
    Thanked 24,422 Times in 6,190 Posts
    My Mood
    Cool
    Groan
    Groaned 631 Times in 306 Posts

Minutes?

First Post Banner
    I took a look at how many minutes were played by players who were on the team at the end of the season and who had at least 25 games, which left out Jachai and Mike. Joe had, by far the most at just over 27 and Vlad the least. Eight of the nine played at least 19.9 minutes.

It will be interesting to see distribution next season and if Weir keeps the range with most at 20 minutes. It will be harder since there should be more than nine players at the end of the season, not counting walk-ons.

MATHIS, Anthony 33-11 733 22.2
    FURSTINGER, Joe 32-25 869 27.2
    JACKSON, Antino 32-22 749 23.4
    LOGWOOD, Sam 25-14 644 25.8
    McNEAL, Chris 33-18 813 24.6
    MALUACH, Makuach 33-15 656 19.9
    SIMONS, Troy 28-12 644 23.0
    KUIPER, Dane 33-26 737 22.3
    PINCHUK, Vladimir 30-12 427 14.2
    JulieG
    Loyal Lobo fan since 1962

2. The Following 17 Users Say Thanks to JulieG For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 32 Times in 19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JulieG View Post
    I took a look at how many minutes were played by players who were on the team at the end of the season and who had at least 25 games, which left out Jachai and Mike. Joe had, by far the most at just over 27 and Vlad the least. Eight of the nine played at least 19.9 minutes.

It will be interesting to see distribution next season and if Weir keeps the range with most at 20 minutes. It will be harder since there should be more than nine players at the end of the season, not counting walk-ons.

MATHIS, Anthony 33-11 733 22.2
    FURSTINGER, Joe 32-25 869 27.2
    JACKSON, Antino 32-22 749 23.4
    LOGWOOD, Sam 25-14 644 25.8
    McNEAL, Chris 33-18 813 24.6
    MALUACH, Makuach 33-15 656 19.9
    SIMONS, Troy 28-12 644 23.0
    KUIPER, Dane 33-26 737 22.3
    PINCHUK, Vladimir 30-12 427 14.2

Interesting post. I would think we will see a tier of 6-7 players at 18-24 minutes and a tier of 6 or 7 players at 10-16 minutes. In Weir's system sharing minutes is vital - 30 + minutes at Weir's level of expected intensity would practically kill players. Besides,
    fatigue = injuries, mental mistakes and poor shooting.
    In Weir We Trust

Make the Pit Great Again

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thanks to BigMel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 15,610 Times in 4,528 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 101 Times in 83 Posts
    Coach will now have the flexibility and leverage created by a deeper roster. I imagine he'll use his bench plenty for rest and rotations, but I'd think a certain group will rise to the top half of the minutes category. I'd also imagine a small group sliding farther down the same list. I'd guess this would be largely based on defense. I think many of our returners along with a handful of newcomers will be those that rise to the top. Names? It becomes a guessing game but I'll take a stab at the Top 7: Kuiper, Mathis, Lyles, Jackson, Ezzeddine, Maluach, and McNeal. Highly arguable, especially Ezzeddine. I know Bragg will get plenty of minutes if he keeps it up like he appears to be doing, but of players we know we'll have available I think that's as good a guess as any.

I left Troy and Vlad out of consideration because of their potential tenuous situations as far as staying or not. I'd love it if they both were here.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to Scott For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,417 Times in 1,310 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 178 Times in 86 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    Coach will now have the flexibility and leverage created by a deeper roster. I imagine he'll use his bench plenty for rest and rotations, but I'd think a certain group will rise to the top half of the minutes category. I'd also imagine a small group sliding farther down the same list. I'd guess this would be largely based on defense. I think many of our returners along with a handful of newcomers will be those that rise to the top. Names? It becomes a guessing game but I'll take a stab at the Top 7: Kuiper, Mathis, Lyles, Jackson, Ezzeddine, Maluach, and McNeal. Highly arguable, especially Ezzeddine. I know Bragg will get plenty of minutes if he keeps it up like he appears to be doing, but of players we know we'll have available I think that's as good a guess as any.

I left Troy and Vlad out of consideration because of their potential tenuous situations as far as staying or not. I'd love it if they both were here.
    Troy Simons....what the frick? C'mon man...I love that dude! Quickly became one of my favorites last year....dude can flat out get it!!!! I had really HIGH hopes for him next year!!!!

8. The Following 8 Users Say Thanks to ArkansasLobo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by ArkansasLobo View Post
    Troy Simons....what the frick? C'mon man...I love that dude! Quickly became one of my favorites last year....dude can flat out get it!!!! I had really HIGH hopes for him next year!!!!
    I love him too! I just was going with the guys I thought for sure would be back. In another thread the talk was of Grammer on radio saying there were two players that might still transfer for their own reasons and he was one of them. If he's here, he's on the list. And I want him to be here.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thanks to Scott For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 176 Times in 43 Posts
    I thought Troy improved more than anybody over the course of the season and was looking forward to watching him this year. Guy has size, tenacity and his shot was really coming around. Hoping he is still here.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thanks to hippyboi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,325 Times in 1,010 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 141 Times in 75 Posts
    Troy has the ability to stretch the defense with his three point shot, but also has an incredibly quick first step and can blow right past a defender and get to the rim. Not too mention how feisty he is on defense. He will be incredibly important to the team next year.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thanks to UNMLoboFan1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Troy also has a really good ability to jump passing lanes and get the steal. Probably the best on the team at that.

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thanks to Scott For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 24,422 Times in 6,190 Posts
    My Mood
    Cool
    Groan
    Groaned 631 Times in 306 Posts
    The issue given with Troy is that he wants to be near his 2 year old. If that is true it seems that it would be his decision. Troy has one more year, this one and his only choice is to play Division II or find a non NBA team to play for, which might not solve his reason for leaving in the first place The other individual is Vlad. I think he has a boatload of potential, but he would also have flexibility as he could transfer and either sit a year or go to Division II. Sounds to me like Rock or a Hard Place either way:-(
    JulieG
    Loyal Lobo fan since 1962

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thanks to JulieG For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,325 Times in 1,010 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 141 Times in 75 Posts
    The issue given with Troy is that he wants to be near his 2 year old. If that is true it seems that it would be his decision. Troy has one more year, this one and his only choice is to play Division II or find a non NBA team to play for, which might not solve his reason for leaving in the first place The other individual is Vlad. I think he has a boatload of potential, but he would also have flexibility as he could transfer and either sit a year or go to Division II. Sounds to me like Rock or a Hard Place either way:-(
    What you say about Troy makes complete sense. He's got a family to look out for. Would love to have him back next year though as I think he could have a big year for us.

Regarding Vlad, DII makes ZERO sense. He's a 6'10 big man that showed some serious potential last year. He has some very good footwork down low and needs to work on his defense and rebounding. I also wouldn't be surprised if he grew and inch or 2 still. That being said, if he wants to transfer because of potential playing time next year, he will have a number of decent D1 offers. I think having him be the primary backup center for 1 more year would be great for his development and hopefully by his 3rd year he is ready to be our number 1

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thanks to UNMLoboFan1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    I totally get why Troy has questions about the best place for him to be. He's got to do what he feels is most important.

I agree Vlad could really benefit from patience in this program. Loads of raw ability with him. He'll get better every year.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Scott For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,417 Times in 1,310 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 178 Times in 86 Posts
    I knew that about Troy but forgot.....if he needs to leave to be close to his child then I wish him all the best....hate that he has to make that type of decision but understand it! He impressed me last year and have no doubt he will do what is right for him and his family!!! Wish him nothing but the best moving forward!!!

24. The Following User Says Thank You to ArkansasLobo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,632 Times in 347 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 10 Times in 7 Posts
    I wouldn’t understand Vlad leaving for any reason other than turning Euro pro.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to zygote For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you Doublealum's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 25,165 Times in 5,070 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 672 Times in 314 Posts
    Minutes = "let the competition begin" + no set rotation, starters game to game, everybody gets PT. It will be fun and interesting to see how it plays out. Only thing I'm not looking forward to is learning who else is transferring or who didn't qualify.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to Doublealum For This Useful Post:

Thread Information