Hello, and welcome to The Lobo Lair ! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Its Mr Lobo Lair to you Doublealum's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,296 Times in 4,898 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 641 Times in 295 Posts
    First Post Banner
    Quote Originally Posted by msalgado View Post
    Look, if football is losing over 5 million a year then I don't care one bit about staying in the MWC in order to keep football. When I was a student, NO ONE cared about football. I went to nearly every basketball game, a ton of soccer games, but I never gave a crap about football and neither did most of the students I was with. Who wanted to go see a 1 win team coached by Locksley? No thanks.

As for going into the WAC, I'd be ok with it. The MWC is not really a large step above it, quite frankly. The MWC already gets UNM seen as a mid major, so what does it matter, honestly. You guys are acting like the MWC is the SEC.
    I understand your particular areas of interest and by contrast, myself and my friends could have not cared less about soccer but that's not the real issue. Most would think a drop to the WAC or some other available conference would definitely hurt the quality of our b-ball programs. Other "minor" sports might not have a place/conference in which to compete thus the dropping of football would directly kill some other programs. Again, the other programs would not get the "savings" from football and the TV money for all sports (basketball) would go down thus decreasing the perceived "savings."

Another thing that should be examined closely is how much of the the "loss" is just on paper as opposed to actual dollars. A huge chunk of the "loss" is in the form of "tuition" - particularly "out of state tuition." The football team and other programs are "charged" on their budget with the normal charge to a student for their tuition and many are classified as out of state; however, adding one more student to a class does not really "cost" the university the full amount of the tuition. There are no real loss of dollars - just a budgetary charge. That supposed $5M figure would drop dramatically (as would the overall athletic deficit) if the actual loss of dollars were counted - don't say those spots could go to other folks that would pay the tuition as UNM is under-occupied and has been for a number of years. Other non-accounted for budget items include donations to the university that are at least to some degree inspired by athletics including football. If no football how much do you reduce the Lobo club donations by or the lettermen's club dues.

If a real economic analysis were done I would guess that athletics in general and even the football program would show a much more complicated and balanced "bottom line." Even with the poor crowds at football games it still is about the only time you get 20-30,000 New Mexicans together for a common cause in one place - basketball doesn't do it, soccer doesn't come close and neither does just about an other activity. Don't let some simplistic number being thrown around for effect determine the day.
    Last edited by Doublealum; 22 Hours Ago at 08:57 AM.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thanks to Doublealum For This Useful Post:

The Lobo Lair Chosen RedSox87122's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,497 Times in 1,430 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 78 Times in 51 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoser View Post
    If the students had a legitimate voice in how their $$ were being spent, then possibly I might agree with you. If the students had a voice in which sports should be funded, then possibly I might agree with you. Right now, the students are paying what amounts to a tax to subsidise something they have no input in how their money is used or spent. Pay up, and shut up, is basically the rule of thumb for them. I have a BA and MA from UNM and I was never once asked how I think my student donations should be used. And don't tell me the student rep is the channel for students to have input, that would be a joke.

Maybe you should increase your donation to help the cause, or UNM could possibly just make an automatic withdrawal from your money accounts. That might be a good place to start since you don't mind the students being hosed.
    Hoser: Welcome to Life. If, in general, citizens had a legitimate voice in how their $$ were being spent, then possibly I might agree with you. If citizens had a voice in which programs should be funded, then possibly I might agree with you. Right now, citizens are paying what amounts to actual taxes to subsidize things they have no input in how their money is used or spent. Pay up, and shut up, is basically the rule of law in our society. I too have my degrees and never once have I been asked how my taxes should be used. And donít tell me our Congress reps are a channel for citizens to have input, that would be a joke.

Congress does make sure you contribute by automatically taking what they feel is their share out of your payroll checks. And, no one cares if you feel you are being hosed.

BTW - tuition for UNM accounts for many programs, academic disciplines, payroll, maintenance, and capital expenditures that have little to nothing to do with your BA and/or MA - and in most cases your fees/tuition fund those non athletic needs 100%. Athletics departments are vastly self-funded. If this were not the case, imagine how much more that supposed tax you refer to would be.

I guess if one really detests their Athletic Fee add-ons they could simply avoid them by attending a different institution. Oh Crap - just been reminded - if one did, they would be paying considerably more. In some cases, several times more!!!
    ďA positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.Ē - Herm Albright

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thanks to RedSox87122 For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you Doublealum's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,296 Times in 4,898 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 641 Times in 295 Posts
    the reason we are in the football situation we are in is because way back in the lat 50s or early 60s we decided to not invest in football (single platoon football v. 2 platoon) and ever since we have fallen behind. At the time that short sighted "budget" mindset (not including extranalities and actual impact) football was way, way, way, way more popular in NM than b-ball. A decision now to de-emphasize or eliminate football would IMO, doom ALL UNM D1 sports and not add a dime to the academic side of the university and would once again demonstrate how NM finds a way to always be at the bottom.
    Last edited by Doublealum; 19 Hours Ago at 11:47 AM.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thanks to Doublealum For This Useful Post:

7. The Following User has GroanedDoublealum For This Un-Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 16 Times in 9 Posts

As for going into the WAC, I'd be ok with it. The MWC is not really a large step above it, quite frankly. The MWC already gets UNM seen as a mid major, so what does it matter, honestly. You guys are acting like the MWC is the SEC.
    this.
    Last edited by LoboUtah; 20 Hours Ago at 10:40 AM.

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you loboaddict's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,346 Times in 2,256 Posts
    My Mood
    Cool
    Groan
    Groaned 85 Times in 59 Posts
    Yeah, OK. I'm sure the casual Lobo fans are going to pack the Pit to see them play Chicago St., Missouri-Kansas City, Cal Bakersfield, Texas-Rio Grande Valley, Utah Valley St., and Seattle. Sure, that's just a step below the MW. Average attendance would plummet with that kind of schedule. Besides, the WAC is on life-support anyway, and may not exist much longer. Then what - Big Sky Conference.

Not to mention, if you drop football, you are going to lose some Lobo fans for good, including I'm sure lots of donations. You may not want to believe that, but I think you would be surprised how many Lobo fans would just give up altogether. I would.

Maybe the students wouldn't care if football went away, but honestly, students haven't consistently supported any sport at UNM, even basketball, and that's probably only going to get worse in the future because the younger generations don't seem as interested in attending live sporting events anyway. Lobo athletics has always been more community-supported than student-supported. It's unfortunate that students have never supported athletics to a great extent, but that's the way it is.
    Last edited by loboaddict; 20 Hours Ago at 10:55 AM.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thanks to loboaddict For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Free fireworks at all football games will bring them in. It's a little known fact.
    "You havenít lived until youíve seen Bonanza dubbed in French-Canadian."

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thanks to cliffclavin For This Useful Post:

The Lobo Lair Chosen RedSox87122's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,497 Times in 1,430 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 78 Times in 51 Posts
    Loboaddict: Football is not going to go away - period!! Those saying it should are just spouting stupid-talk!!!

I am beginning to wonder why we even try to reason with someone who believes the WAC and MWC are comparable.
    ďA positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.Ē - Herm Albright

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thanks to RedSox87122 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 16 Times in 9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by loboaddict View Post
    Yeah, OK. I'm sure the casual Lobo fans are going to pack the Pit to see them play Chicago St., Missouri-Kansas City, Cal Bakersfield, Texas-Rio Grande Valley, Utah Valley St., and Seattle.
    .......Fresno St., San Jose St., Utah St.

Maybe the students wouldn't care if football went away, but honestly, students haven't consistently supported any sport at UNM, even basketball, and that's probably only going to get worse in the future because the younger generations don't seem as interested in attending live sporting events anyway. Lobo athletics has always been more community-supported than student-supported. It's unfortunate that students have never supported athletics to a great extent, but that's the way it is.
    reason no. 265 UNM will never be P5.

16. The Following User has GroanedLoboUtah For This Un-Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you loboaddict's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,346 Times in 2,256 Posts
    My Mood
    Cool
    Groan
    Groaned 85 Times in 59 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RedSox87122 View Post
    I am beginning to wonder why we even try to reason with someone who believes the WAC and MWC are comparable.
    Yeah, I think I'll just give up that battle. It's impossible to reason with people who have made up their mind and aren't willing to consider other facts or points of view.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to loboaddict For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,964 Times in 457 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 49 Times in 30 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by loboaddict View Post
    Yeah, I think I'll just give up that battle. It's impossible to reason with people who have made up their mind and aren't willing to consider other facts or points of view.
    I’m not for cutting football but it seems your comment applies to people on both sides of this discussion. It also applies to the decision makers who appear have gone for the quickest fix but maybe not the correct fix.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to Bradpal For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 8,514 Times in 2,885 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 416 Times in 140 Posts
    ...also applies to the decision makers who appear have gone for the quickest fix but maybe not the correct fix.
    typical of this state...New Mexico is confirmed as a Third World state...

Trinidad and Tobago 2...USA 1

US Men's National Team
    Alexi Lalas, "Are you going to continue to be a bunch of soft, underperforming, tattooed millionaires? You are a soccer generation that has been given everything; you are a soccer generation who's on the verge of squandering everything."

Thanks
    Thanked 7,996 Times in 1,958 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 140 Times in 59 Posts
    "I wouldn't mind going to the WAC."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

I'm calling Poe's law on this...no Lobo hoops fan can seriously have this opinion.
    FEAR NOTHING!!!!!!!

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to RIDIC For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by LoboUtah View Post
    .......Fresno St., San Jose St., Utah St.

reason no. 265 UNM will never be P5.
    Fresno and USU are FAR superior basketball programs to the ones listed historically. SJSU is on par with them.
    FEAR NOTHING!!!!!!!

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thanks to RIDIC For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Now, I am all for the football team playing money games in order to subsidize themselves. I think that's a reasonable action to take, at least for the time being. If they get themselves into a position where they don't need to do this, then great.

That said, getting rid of the program or dropping it to FCS is a horrible idea for all the reasons explained ad nauseum.
    FEAR NOTHING!!!!!!!

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to RIDIC For This Useful Post:

Thread Information