Hello, and welcome to The Lobo Lair ! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,371 Times in 1,134 Posts
    My Mood
    Amused
    Groan
    Groaned 80 Times in 41 Posts
    First Post Banner
    As you ponder sports....don't forget that there is significant infrastructure that will remain and need to be maintained, that just doesn't go away. If you cut Men's Soccer you still have to maintain the field and stadium for Women's Soccer and Track & Field. NMAA uses this facility for the State Track & Field Championships. The new donated Tennis Facility won't go away if you cut Tennis and the University South Golf course doesn't go away either.

Pitboss
    Can you believe my neighbor came knocking at my door at 2:30 AM this morning......Good thing I was still up playing my bagpipes......

.....maybe next year......

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thanks to pitboss For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you loboaddict's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,354 Times in 2,256 Posts
    My Mood
    Cool
    Groan
    Groaned 85 Times in 59 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkside View Post
    For like the 3rd time in recent threads, the students aren't coughing up any more cash.

http://www.dailylobo.com/article/201...-budget-summit
    Because you read it on the internet, it must be true. It's not as absolute as you are making it sound. The SFRB recommends student fees on an annual basis (ultimately, it's the Regents decision). Just because they didn't recommend it this year, doesn't mean they absolutely won't next year. If it's framed as supporting only non-revenue generating sports in order to keep those sports alive, maybe they would be more receptive. Or just cut the sports if the students don't care enough.
    Last edited by loboaddict; 4 Days Ago at 11:22 AM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to loboaddict For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,522 Times in 954 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 189 Times in 101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RedSox87122 View Post
    Understand and Agree: I have continued to push for all sports and to gain attendance in order to keep from having to make these cuts. I was hoping the new administration would be given time to actually work through the numbers, find areas of savings, and set their budgets.

However, having not done their jobs for years - now the regents want results in the next few months. And, our beloved new President comes out and makes her assertion that, “I cannot imagine a scenario where we wouldn’t have to cut sports.” She also was against any forgiveness of any previous debt. If you can’t get her buy-in, then it appears all gloves are off.

If others are going to argue for the sports they wish to keep - I certainly am not going to simply remain on the sidelines. That is not the way politics works - and, believe me - this is now politics pure and simple.

Soccer was given a good portion of yesterday’s meeting to argue their case. No other program was heard from. I love baseball - I love Birmingham - I have two boys playing the game and dream that someday they suit up for the Lobos. I have contributed vastly to UNM sports and will have my voice heard, as well others.

I am not alone - I believe our next governor also feels strongly for Ray’s program. I hope she will be better for UNM sports than previous administrations.

Finally, I believe that had Nunez been given more time - with basketball attendance fixing to rebound - we wouldn’t be cutting the number of sports we are now fixing to cut.
    Good comparison to politics. The red flag that this had gotten political should have been year after year of ignoring budget, kicking the can down the road and hoping things get better or someone shows up with a bail out.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thanks to bmccrack For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,522 Times in 954 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 189 Times in 101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkside View Post
    For like the 3rd time in recent threads, the students aren't coughing up any more cash.

http://www.dailylobo.com/article/201...-budget-summit
    Unfortunately, this is an issue that is being passed around like a hot potato. UNM doesn't have any funds to save the programs, students are tapped out, big donors seem to be tapped out. There are sports programs that are going away. I just hope that they can fix the root causes going forward so it doesn't happen again.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to bmccrack For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,453 Times in 597 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 702 Times in 144 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by loboaddict View Post
    Because you read it on the internet, it must be true. It's not as absolute as you are making it sound. The SFRB recommends student fees on an annual basis (ultimately, it's the Regents decision). Just because they didn't recommend it this year, doesn't mean they absolutely won't next year. If it's framed as supporting only non-revenue generating sports in order to keep those sports alive, maybe they would be more receptive. Or just cut the sports if the students don't care enough.
    Geoff Grammer@GeoffGrammerFollowFollow
    @GeoffGrammer

More

Regent Quillen notes students came out in big numbers five years ago to games... "I'm just wondering why and how we've lost our students."

10:41 AM - 17 Apr 2018
    Last edited by Darkside; 4 Days Ago at 11:35 AM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Darkside For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DvLOBO View Post
    I've heard a few times now that the Men's Soccer team could save money by joining a more regional conference. The PAC 12 has only 6 teams for Men's Soccer and one of them is SDSU I think they would take us, if not, the Big West, WAC or WCC would be other alternatives.
    I don't know if the travel savings would be enough, but if moving to the PAC 12 would help, it could actually be great for the program as well. That is if we could keep soccer and the PAC would take the team. If I am not mistaken, they moved to CUSA partially to get a step up in competition as they were having some of the problems you see in basketball where the team is good in conference, but gets penalized for being in a weaker conference when it came to NCAA at-large, seeding, etc. (like Gonzaga maybe - but not the same dominance they have in the WCC conference in BB). Being in with UCLA and Washington, two huge national programs, would sure help that. Going to Big West, WAC, or WCC would kind of put us back in a similar situation as they had before joining CUSA, although if it would help cobble together dollars to save the program, I am sure they would bite the bullet there.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thanks to JHawk88 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 8,533 Times in 2,891 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 419 Times in 142 Posts
    Regent Quillen notes students came out in big numbers five years ago to games... "I'm just wondering why and how we've lost our students."
    let me count the ways...first, its like trying to cross the border to get into a game...second, no re-entry for football...3rd....

Trinidad and Tobago 2...USA 1

US Men's National Team
    Alexi Lalas, "Are you going to continue to be a bunch of soft, underperforming, tattooed millionaires? You are a soccer generation that has been given everything; you are a soccer generation who's on the verge of squandering everything."

14. The Following User Says Thank You to zoom For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,452 Times in 1,320 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 242 Times in 120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JHawk88 View Post
    Being in with UCLA and Washington, two huge national programs, would sure help that. Going to Big West, WAC, or WCC would kind of put us back in a similar situation as they had before joining CUSA, although if it would help cobble together dollars to save the program, I am sure they would bite the bullet there.
    Interesting idea. Looking at the RPI rankings from last year, being in the PAC-12 wouldn't be that far off from being in C-USA in terms of quality of competition. Stanford was ranked much higher than any C-USA team, and then California and Washington were not far from the top three C-USA performers...FIU, Old Dominion, and Charlotte. UCLA appears to have had an off-year competitively, so add them into the mix and it looks pretty good. No clue how much $$ could actually be saved by that though.

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/soccer...ens-soccer-rpi

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to pitforever90 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,744 Times in 636 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 24 Times in 15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zoom View Post
    let me count the ways...first, its like trying to cross the border to get into a game...second, no re-entry for football...3rd....
    Actually it is easier to cross the border than to get into a UNM football game.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to Riches6 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cool
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by zoom View Post
    It didn't take me any longer than 3 minutes to get into any game last season, and I went to all of them and went in shortly before kickoff. It basically takes the same amount of time as getting into a basketball game.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thanks to loboaddict For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 8,533 Times in 2,891 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 419 Times in 142 Posts
    ...didn't take me any longer than 3 minutes to get into any game last season...
    sometimes yes and sometimes no...I also went to all the games, some were longer...my point is they should make it easy to buy a ticket and go to a game...as for the re-entry, I would say that's where the students went...

Trinidad and Tobago 2...USA 1

US Men's National Team
    Alexi Lalas, "Are you going to continue to be a bunch of soft, underperforming, tattooed millionaires? You are a soccer generation that has been given everything; you are a soccer generation who's on the verge of squandering everything."

22. The Following User Says Thank You to zoom For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,744 Times in 636 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 24 Times in 15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by loboaddict View Post
    It didn't take me any longer than 3 minutes to get into any game last season, and I went to all of them and went in shortly before kickoff. It basically takes the same amount of time as getting into a basketball game.
    Yeah it is really not that big of a deal but I was in line 20 minutes for two football games last year when I arrived right at kickoff. I kidded in my other post but truth be told I should not have arrived right at kick off and they do it for our own protection in these crazy times we live in. Should not keep people away from games.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to Riches6 For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you TheLoboMan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,441 Times in 2,168 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 532 Times in 205 Posts
    I'm telling you when we instituted the no re-entry rule attendance went down. A have a couple of friends who did not come back after the no-,re-entry went j to effect. We aren't partiers but enjoyed going out at halftime to grill a couple of burgers and knowck down a beer. We know they sell beer and burgers in the stadium but that's not the same. We like to get it and just take a nice break. I've never bought a a beer in the stadium. It's not the same and they don't sell beer I like.

But I still go no matter what. I just know it hurt attendance.

26. The Following 5 Users Say Thanks to TheLoboMan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,199 Times in 678 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 70 Times in 34 Posts
    I’m a die-hard Lobo football fan, but also love other Lobo athletics.
    How much money do home football games make for UNM in comparison to the body bag $1 million games?

Seems to me that UNM football should stop the bleeding of the UNM athletic deficit by playing 2-3 body bag games a season for the near future.

Is that possible for Lobo football? Or would that be ultimately more detrimental for the program and athletic department?

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cool
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by FONZ View Post
    I’m a die-hard Lobo football fan, but also love other Lobo athletics.
    How much money do home football games make for UNM in comparison to the body bag $1 million games?

Seems to me that UNM football should stop the bleeding of the UNM athletic deficit by playing 2-3 body bag games a season for the near future.

Is that possible for Lobo football? Or would that be ultimately more detrimental for the program and athletic department?
    According to a Geoff Grammer tweet yesterday, UNM football made about $1.5 million in ticket revenue in each of the last couple seasons, so that would be about $250k per game in ticket sales. Add in parking, concessions, merchandise, etc., that probably brings it to over $300k per game.

With the body bag games, I don't even know how easy it is to schedule those games. There's probably a lot of competition for those games and limited opportunities. But the Aggies have been able to do it, so maybe it's not that difficult. The schedules are set years in advance though, so it would probably be several years before the Lobos could schedule two body bag games in a season even if they wanted to.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to loboaddict For This Useful Post:

DWL

The Lobo Lair Chosen RedSox87122's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,526 Times in 1,436 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 78 Times in 51 Posts
    https://www.change.org/p/regents-unm...ex89%3Acontrol

For all those wishing to have their soccer voices heard.
    “A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.” - Herm Albright

31. The Following 4 Users Say Thanks to RedSox87122 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 91 Times in 25 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLoboMan View Post
    I'm telling you when we instituted the no re-entry rule attendance went down. A have a couple of friends who did not come back after the no-,re-entry went j to effect. We aren't partiers but enjoyed going out at halftime to grill a couple of burgers and knowck down a beer. We know they sell beer and burgers in the stadium but that's not the same. We like to get it and just take a nice break. I've never bought a a beer in the stadium. It's not the same and they don't sell beer I like.

But I still go no matter what. I just know it hurt attendance.
    Thought you were supposed to grill before the game...how do you walk outside to vehicle, cook and eat and burger during halftime.....They don't serve the beer you like? .hell I don't even know what kind they serve...just purchase a mug and down it...In my college days we drank whatever was available....you mean you leave a party cuz they don't have beer you like...?

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to Hoops For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 8,846 Times in 2,782 Posts
    My Mood
    Amused
    Groan
    Groaned 322 Times in 129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pitboss View Post
    As you ponder sports....don't forget that there is significant infrastructure that will remain and need to be maintained, that just doesn't go away. If you cut Men's Soccer you still have to maintain the field and stadium for Women's Soccer and Track & Field. NMAA uses this facility for the State Track & Field Championships. The new donated Tennis Facility won't go away if you cut Tennis and the University South Golf course doesn't go away either.

Pitboss
    Serious question, is the South Golf course around simply to accomodate the golf team? I have a hard time seeing that picture. I think the South is not a money maker and I golf there regularly, but I just don't see the course being around just becuase UNM has a golf team. If I am wrong, please inform me how that is so.
    “It’s a basic truth of the human condition that everybody lies. The only variable is about what.”

“There’s no ‘I’ in team. There’s a ‘me’ though, if you jumble it up.

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you Lobo_for_life's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,347 Times in 2,606 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 2,569 Times in 1,951 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Riches6 View Post
    Actually it is easier to cross the border than to get into a UNM football game.
    Nice!

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to Lobo_for_life For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you wallyhopp's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,454 Times in 4,324 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 140 Times in 63 Posts
    Maybe this has been brought up before. But why not cut a couple jobs? Everyone seems to be out for their own best interests. An outside party needs to cut the fat. Maybe we dont need 100 regents or 4 levels of ADs and presidents.

Maybe if peoples jobs are threatened, then maybe they will start to find logical solutions. Cutting sports doesnt feel like a real option.

Thread Information