Hello, and welcome to The Lobo Lair ! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    The Lobo Lair Chosen RedSox87122's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,880 Times in 1,466 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 80 Times in 52 Posts

Boycott - Enact Change - Make your Voice(s) Heard

First Post Banner
    Do I have your attention? Let’s say I do and move our conversation forward.

Last night, I and others had an interesting conversation with Coach Weir. 2018-2019 team appears to be set!! 14 will have to become 13 (or probably already has). Final exams are currently under way - a few weeks to head home - and then summer classes will begin June 4th. And, at that time so will team functions, such as moving tires, running hills, running more hills, and shooting a few baskets.

Boycott? . . . . . Not my word . . . . It is Weir’s. Seems Coach, nor I, can really understand why basketball tickets cannot go on sale now - or for that matter, yesterday. Coach being semi-serious mentioned “boycotting” further press conferences until his bosses will allow tickets to go on sale. Seems he has been pushing for this for a while.

Me - I understand the push is on football today - but, really? No multi-tasking allowed?

Weir and the team just had a pretty uplifting season in the eyes of many. Far better than most expected. He and his staff have recruited terrific talent - people are talking and excited - and, boom - let’s just put everything on hold for several months? Let’s not push for as many sales in as many sports as possible? If you ask me - it really makes no sense!!!

Honestly, at this very moment decisions are being reached as to what students will no longer have a sport to return to in the not so distant future? If basketball attendance gains 4,000 season fans (levels of just seasons ago), the huge deficit hole nearly disappears!!! Perhaps one or two sports are saved.

Personally - IMO - UNM should have begun promoting basketball and ticket sales as soon as this past season ended. Put down a deposit and reserve your seat - or request one. Build on the momemtum - not stifle it.

Look - I’m not alone here. Just because UNM has had its process, doesn’t mean that’s the way it should always remain. Talking with some other staff and employees - we are left shaking our heads.

Weir is is not the typical coach - sometimes you just have to think outside the box. You have to push for change - enact change - make you voice heard. I intend to have a talk with Nunez and would hope others will do the same. Really - guess it's the reason for my entire post!!!

P.S. Having spoken to both Vladimir and Anthony tonight, I can attest that they are amazing young men. Both are looking forward to the new season. Anthony no longer on crutches - hopes to be fully recovered.

P.S.S. Pitboss - it was a pleasure meeting you. Hope your wife enjoys that diamond you won. :)
    “A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.” - Herm Albright

2. The Following 2 Users Have Groaned RedSox87122 For This Un-Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 7,021 Times in 1,967 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 98 Times in 79 Posts
    Great post! UNM misses so many opportunities to generate revenue it's sad. I still am confused and disappointed by UNM's complete lack of creativity for the 50th anniversary year of The Pit. Promoting the basketball program immediately after the season seems like such a no brainier, you have take advantage while the fire is hot.

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 6 Times in 4 Posts
    How about doing some ticket deals where when you purchase basketball tickets you receive a discount for also buying football tickets. Try anything to sell tickets. Nunez should not be sold on how the UNM Athletic Department did anything in the past.

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you UNM Class of 1972's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,661 Times in 3,661 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 598 Times in 286 Posts
    I agree Red Sox. There is no reason why basketball season tickets can not go on sale now.

However, this year I will not buy my season basketball tickets until they make the announcement that football will not be cut or downgraded. No football --no more Lobo season basketball tickets, Olympic sports pass, or Lobo Club contribution. As soon as there is a favorable announcement I will purchase my season basketball tickets like I do every year. Anyway for 2018-2019 my season football tickets have been purchased and my Lobo Club donations are paid.

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thanks to UNM Class of 1972 For This Useful Post:

7. The Following 2 Users Have Groaned UNM Class of 1972 For This Un-Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you UNM Class of 1972's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,661 Times in 3,661 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 598 Times in 286 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elcorazon86 View Post
    How about doing some ticket deals where when you purchase basketball tickets you receive a discount for also buying football tickets. Try anything to sell tickets. Nunez should not be sold on how the UNM Athletic Department did anything in the past.
    Good idea. Also, the if buy football tickets you could get a discount on basketball tickets. That would be good for us dual-sports fanatics.

9. The Following 8 Users Say Thanks to UNM Class of 1972 For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you NMFANINOKC's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,326 Times in 5,550 Posts
    My Mood
    Buzzed
    Groan
    Groaned 1,880 Times in 1,179 Posts
    Yep, behind the times.. sounds like UNM

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thanks to NMFANINOKC For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,383 Times in 1,138 Posts
    My Mood
    Amused
    Groan
    Groaned 80 Times in 41 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNM Class of 1972 View Post
    I agree Red Sox. There is no reason why basketball season tickets can not go on sale now.

However, this year I will not buy my season basketball tickets until they make the announcement that football will not be cut or downgraded. No football --no more Lobo season basketball tickets, Olympic sports pass, or Lobo Club contribution. As soon as there is a favorable announcement I will purchase my season basketball tickets like I do every year. Anyway for 2018-2019 my season football tickets have been purchased and my Lobo Club donations are paid.
    I had to groan you because I really believe this type of contingent response is a recipe for failure. Now is not the time for the sunshine patriot or summer soldier, to quote Thomas Paine......UNM Athletics needs your support, otherwise, things will crumble.

Increased season ticket sales balances the UNM Athletic budget......but do you see UNM pushing season ticket sales?......no, nada, nothing..........no intention to be proactive, just live in the past and not prepare and embrace the future.

Pitboss
    Last edited by pitboss; 2 Weeks Ago at 06:05 PM.
    Can you believe my neighbor came knocking at my door at 2:30 AM this morning......Good thing I was still up playing my bagpipes......

.....maybe next year......

13. The Following 6 Users Say Thanks to pitboss For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 20 Times in 14 Posts
    As a non season ticket holder, if they went on sale today, I would go and buy them!! I am ready for next year!!

15. The Following 18 Users Say Thanks to rglobo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by rglobo View Post
    As a non season ticket holder, if they went on sale today, I would go and buy them!! I am ready for next year!!

Tell Mr Nunez!!!

Directory Information Details
    Name: Eduardo Nunez
    Title/Organization: Dir,Intercollegiate Athletics: Athletics
    Work phone: 505 277-2303
    Work mailing address: MSC04 2680
    Organization code: 925A
    Campus location: MAIN
    “A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.” - Herm Albright

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thanks to RedSox87122 For This Useful Post:

TLL.com Womens Moderator Lobo2x53's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,406 Times in 4,034 Posts
    My Mood
    Fine
    Groan
    Groaned 80 Times in 63 Posts
    Nice post RedSox (by the way, enjoying Mookie's season so far?).

I agree with most of what you say, certainly all the major points except I see no benefit in boycotting what little publicity there is.

It has frustrated me for years how poor the thinking process of publicizing/marketing the sports programs are. There seems to be little if any creativity, and what ideas get percolated up seem to die unthought about. Both basketball teams ended their seasons with a lot of positive fanfare, and I know for the women I had at least 5 people who would have become new season ticket holders right then--but no way to do it it seems.

Sadly, if it is like past seasons, the athletic department believes that any energy spent signing people up for--or getting them to think about--any other sport will somehow damage football. The football black hole strikes in many ways. If indeed we care about the total athletic budget balancing, $40K or basketball (or soccer, or baseball, or ...) tickets helps just as much as $40K of football tickets. Sadly, the way UNM looks at it is, I believe, wrong. If someone is primarily a soccer fan, they are likely to first buy their soccer ticket, THEN see if they can afford (time and money) a football ticket. They are not likely to run up and buy a FB ticket just because you do not let them buy a soccer ticket now.

I love the idea of "get your season BB ticket and get a discount on a FB season ticket". A shuttle bus to bring people from a senior citizen's home one game. I am certain there are a lot of relatively low cost ideas to build a fan base as I have seen other schools do, but not noticed here. I wish the BB teams would go out into the public more; the women used to go to Kirtland on a Saturday, meet the Airmen, give out free tickets for a game. I know several who went--the first WBB game they ever went to--and got hooked. That hasn't happened in 8(?) years or so. Or other creative ways to get people to expand the sports they go see. I just don't see it happening at the moment. We even had a person who was a former marketing professional who had offered some volunteer time to come up with new ideas--never even was called back after offering.

19. The Following 9 Users Say Thanks to Lobo2x53 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,760 Times in 1,694 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 12 Times in 12 Posts
    How about doing some ticket deals where when you purchase basketball tickets you receive a discount for also buying football tickets.
    This is a fantastic idea.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to ThreePointShot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by ThreePointShot View Post
    This is a fantastic idea.
    Simply cannot be done unless basketball tickets are being sold simultaneously!!!

Honestly - why can most of us understand this, but not UNM administration?

Perhaps I shouldn’t repeat what I was anonymously told last night, but it appears too many are bowing to the wishes of the football program. I knew this was happening under Krebs watch - but, I simply expect much more from our new AD. Do we seriously have to convince Davie of potential benefits first??

If so - Mr. Davie - what has happened in the past isn’t working!!! Get on board and be open to new ideas!! Thx

23. The Following User Says Thank You to RedSox87122 For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you UNMerciful_1's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,869 Times in 3,083 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 273 Times in 158 Posts
    I’m guessing the reason might have something to do with accounting. Does UNM have to come up with a certain dollar amount every quarter? Are the funds received from the state affected by the amount of money UNM raises each quarter? Do they even know how many home games there are going to be yet? I’m just spitballing here. I have no idea if any of these things are legitimate reasons for waiting. However, something is obviously keeping them from selling tickets now.

25. The Following 4 Users Say Thanks to UNMerciful_1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 786 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 183 Times in 81 Posts
    Might be a good time of year to do it. Fans may have some tax refund money in the spring they might spend on tickets that they may not have by fall.

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thanks to Clubmaker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by UNMerciful_1 View Post
    I’m guessing the reason might have something to do with accounting. Does UNM have to come up with a certain dollar amount every quarter? Are the funds received from the state affected by the amount of money UNM raises each quarter? Do they even know how many home games there are going to be yet? I’m just spitballing here. I have no idea if any of these things are legitimate reasons for waiting. However, something is obviously keeping them from selling tickets now.
    If these were the issues - then, I doubt Weir would be pushing so hard. And, even if - all are solvable - just takes some desire.

As a CPA - I always thought (unless there are negative tax consequences), you strive to obtain revenues as quickly as possible, and delay expenses when possible. Money in the bank today is always better than trying to project what may be obtained tomorrow.

29. The Following 7 Users Say Thanks to RedSox87122 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by RedSox87122 View Post
    Simply cannot be done unless basketball tickets are being sold simultaneously!!!

Honestly - why can most of us understand this, but not UNM administration?

Perhaps I shouldn’t repeat what I was anonymously told last night, but it appears too many are bowing to the wishes of the football program. I knew this was happening under Krebs watch - but, I simply expect much more from our new AD. Do we seriously have to convince Davie of potential benefits first??

If so - Mr. Davie - what has happened in the past isn’t working!!! Get on board and be open to new ideas!! Thx
    Contrary to what some here believe, I am not anti-FB, nor do I want to see FB go away. But it is what you point out that seriously concerns me: I have heard/seen too much in the AD that says (1) FB is all that matters, (2) Everything else is on the table to save FB, (3) We don't need to make FB change. All of those, but especially the third one, really bother me.

I think some things are blatantly obvious, to include (nothing new here):

--INSIST on a second big payday game until FB is self-sufficient, or close to it. An 0-2 record in those games but a near-balanced budget is better than one more win. Add two "should win easily" games if you feel obliged to placate those who only watch the W/L numbers, but FB needs to do what it can to pay its way if the state and university continue to be shortsighted. This should NOT be a FB coach choice, as no FB coach wants an automatic two losses.

--Leverage what IS the big dog of the department, MBB, to help lift FB. Use whatever other Good Will you have to do the same. For example, we are planning on having our 5th annual WBB dinner, and if I could get a FB coach to drop in we could get them some time to do some PR/sell tickets. We will see if I can get interest.

Quote Originally Posted by UNMerciful_1 View Post

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thanks to Lobo2x53 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,485 Times in 610 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 720 Times in 150 Posts
    Has a MBB schedule been announced to sell tickets for? If it has I missed it. In fact, I think tickets go on sale too early. I wouldn't start selling them until I have a date and time. Why would I buy a ticket for a Dec 15th game with no time announced. You don't do that with flights. You don't do that with concerts.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Darkside For This Useful Post:

34. The Following User has GroanedDarkside For This Un-Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 15 Times in 13 Posts
    Do you happen to have a email that Nunez can be contacted?

Tell Mr Nunez!!!

Directory Information Details
    Name: Eduardo Nunez
    Title/Organization: Dir,Intercollegiate Athletics: Athletics
    Work phone: 505 277-2303
    Work mailing address: MSC04 2680
    Organization code: 925A
    Campus location: MAIN

Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkside View Post
    Has a MBB schedule been announced to sell tickets for? If it has I missed it. In fact, I think tickets go on sale too early. I wouldn't start selling them until I have a date and time. Why would I buy a ticket for a Dec 15th game with no time announced. You don't do that with flights. You don't do that with concerts.
    Single game tickets I agree.

Season Tix I do not.

37. The Following 6 Users Say Thanks to Lobo2x53 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by Lobo2x53 View Post
    Single game tickets I agree.

Season Tix I do not.
    Huh? Don't you have to know if there are 16 or 18 games and price them accordingly. I'm not paying for 20 games to find out later there are only 17. This idea that you are going to sell more tickets by selling them earlier is silly. People have lives. They live day to day. Other than a few diehards on this board, Lobo Basketball is the furthest thing from peoples minds six months out.
    Last edited by Darkside; 2 Weeks Ago at 02:08 PM.

39. The Following 3 Users Say Thanks to Darkside For This Useful Post:

40. The Following 6 Users Have Groaned Darkside For This Un-Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you catherine's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,758 Times in 2,027 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 58 Times in 28 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rglobo View Post
    I just tweeted back to UNM Football about the football season tickets, suggesting capitalizing on the momentum for both WBB and MBB from last season to sell season tix and borrowed the idea someone here had about discounts for bundling.

Frank Mercogliano responded: https://twitter.com/fmmercogliano/status/994302495609446400

Basically, they have to have the # of home games locked in before they can do pricing (both mens and women), and that is done now. He said they'l be on sale earlier this year than any year previous -- including, I assume, last year when he says he recalls men's being on sale June 2.

42. The Following 10 Users Say Thanks to catherine For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by boffo1 View Post
    Do you happen to have a email that Nunez can be contacted?
    eddienunez@unm.edu

Thanks
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I just tweeted back to UNM Football about the football season tickets, suggesting capitalizing on the momentum for both WBB and MBB from last season to sell season tix and borrowed the idea someone here had about discounts for bundling.

Frank Mercogliano responded: https://twitter.com/fmmercogliano/status/994302495609446400

Basically, they have to have the # of home games locked in before they can do pricing (both mens and women), and that is done now. He said they'l be on sale earlier this year than any year previous -- including, I assume, last year when he says he recalls men's being on sale June 2.
    Catherine: thanks for stepping forward.

I understand # of games is needed - however, I also would think this is something Coach Weir would have discussed with higher-ups and I would venture a guess Coach Weir also presented some solutions. Most often - we work for 18 games I believe. Seems a number can be set and sales geared accordingly. Adjustments made if needed.

As I mentioned before, perhaps orders can simply be taken for season tickets with a minimum down payment until an exact amount is determined. Just hit while there is excitement!!

———————————-

I just made a call - It was suggested that if you buy season basketball tickets, perhaps a televised night football game comes complimentary. I was told Coach Weir might also love hosting a tailgate for that game and making it an event!!! Coach just wants to think outside the box!!! Really Market our Programs!!! He has no issue working/helping to sell more football tickets.

Actually Market?? Imagine That!!!!
    Last edited by RedSox87122; 2 Weeks Ago at 04:28 PM.

45. The Following 10 Users Say Thanks to RedSox87122 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 20,523 Times in 7,057 Posts
    My Mood
    Amused
    Groan
    Groaned 166 Times in 96 Posts
    I disagree that two payday football games and going 0-2 won't make a difference. If we did that and missed a bowl game opportunity by 1 win, it would be a loss to UNM as well as the MWC.

47. The Following User Says Thank You to loboray For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by loboray View Post
    I disagree that two payday football games and going 0-2 won't make a difference. If we did that and missed a bowl game opportunity by 1 win, it would be a loss to UNM as well as the MWC.
    Then balance it out with two "can't lose" games. FB has to be a big part of fixing a FB driven deficit.

49. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to Lobo2x53 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine
    Groan
    Huh? Don't you have to know if there are 16 or 18 games and price them accordingly. I'm not paying for 20 games to find out later there are only 17. This idea that you are going to sell more tickets by selling them earlier is silly. People have lives. They live day to day. Other than a few diehards on this board, Lobo Basketball is the furthest thing from peoples minds six months out.
    I had 5 people who would have bought season tix the day after we lost to TCU without knowing the # of games or opponents. And none post here.

51. The Following 3 Users Say Thanks to Lobo2x53 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    With all due respect - Coach Weir doesn’t feel it is silly to sell tickets earlier. He feels more would be sold if you started earlier, especially after the conclusion of a successful season. I believe I will side with him on this.

And, it is an attitude as yours that keeps our athletic department and New Mexico from ever getting any better. People may live day to day - but, having something to look forward to helps move those days along.

Entertainment dollars are finite. Programs must compete for those dollars - So, you work in order to make sure football/basketball isn’t the furthest thing from people’s minds.

A few days ago the Isotopes had almost 12,000 in attendance for a day game. Seems they worked out something with APS and the kids - called it School Day Matinee. Someone thinking outside the box.

53. The Following 13 Users Say Thanks to RedSox87122 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 15,443 Times in 4,483 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 98 Times in 82 Posts
    With all due respect - Coach Weir doesn’t feel it is silly to sell tickets earlier. He feels more would be sold if you started earlier, especially after the conclusion of a successful season. I believe I will side with him on this.

And, it is an attitude as yours that keeps our athletic department and New Mexico from ever getting any better. People may live day to day - but, having something to look forward to helps move those days along.

Entertainment dollars are finite. Programs must compete for those dollars - So, you work in order to make sure football/basketball isn’t the furthest thing from people’s minds.

A few days ago the Isotopes had almost 12,000 in attendance for a day game. Seems they worked out something with APS and the kids - called it School Day Matinee. Someone thinking outside the box.
    The school day matinee has a lot of potential for Lobo hoops. Can't do it with many match-ups, but an early season game with a promo for kids/schools to come out to The Pit. To me that seems like planting seeds for future generations.

55. The Following 5 Users Say Thanks to Scott For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 9,792 Times in 1,301 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 79 Times in 46 Posts
    Sell!!!! There is no time like the present for selling.
    Great job by those who attended the 6th Man event last night. Haven’t had a turnout like that since Bliss era.
    Staff was super pumped by reception. Weir gets it and is way ahead of the curve on fund-raising. I am taking his momentum with me to the Foundation meeting next week.
    Join the 6th Man now! PM me if you want details. Weir will take care of the basketball the fans , a huge part of the tradition, need to kick it up too!

57. The Following 3 Users Say Thanks to brooklyn_esq For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    The school day matinee has a lot of potential for Lobo hoops. Can't do it with many match-ups, but an early season game with a promo for kids/schools to come out to The Pit. To me that seems like planting seeds for future generations.
    Not gonna happen. Season ticket holders that pay $$$ for their seats and aren't able to make it would be outraged, IMO. Maybe a scrimmage like the BYU game. The reason the Dukes can do it is there are two weeks left in school and the kiddies have cabin fever. Mentally they have already checked out. That's why you see field trips happening all over town.
    Last edited by Darkside; 2 Weeks Ago at 04:44 PM.

59. The Following User Says Thank You to Darkside For This Useful Post:

60. The Following 2 Users Have Groaned Darkside For This Un-Useful Post:

Thread Information