Hello, and welcome to The Lobo Lair ! Is this your first visit?
Register
    Its Mr Lobo Lair to you elmassuave's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,526 Times in 1,946 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 98 Times in 49 Posts

Albuquerque Journal: UNM discloses sport-by-sport expenses

First Post Banner
    UNM discloses sport-by-sport expenses

By Geoff Grammer / Journal Staff Writer

Published: Tuesday, May 8th, 2018 at 11:29pm
    Updated: Wednesday, May 9th, 2018 at 12:02am

"Nuñez said he can’t explain why the department in past years did not present budgets that accurately tracked how much each sport cost the university. Before, regents have approved athletics department budgets with much less detail."

“We’re trying to basically deconstruct what has been in place, which takes some time,” Nuñez said. “We feel confident that we’re getting there. We still want to be able to break it up even more line by line.”

"According to the 2017 fiscal year report UNM submitted to the NCAA, the average value of a scholarship for a female student athlete – which could include tuition, books, meals and housing – was $33,048."

"UNM spread out about 95 athletic scholarships among 157 female student athletes in the 2016-17 academic year."

Lobo Sports Costs
    https://d3el53au0d7w62.cloudfront.ne..._LoboCosts.png

Link to Full Article
    https://www.abqjournal.com/1169544/u...-expenses.html

"Do something that helps people. Do something of service. It will always make you feel good about your life." - Robert Asbridge

"A quiet and modest life brings more joy than a pursuit of success bound with constant unrest." - Albert Einstein

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to elmassuave For This Useful Post:

TLL.com Womens Moderator Lobo2x53's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,357 Times in 4,024 Posts
    My Mood
    Fine
    Groan
    Groaned 80 Times in 63 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elmassuave View Post

"Nuñez said he can’t explain why the department in past years did not present budgets that accurately tracked how much each sport cost the university. Before, regents have approved athletics department budgets with much less detail."

"According to the 2017 fiscal year report UNM submitted to the NCAA, the average value of a scholarship for a female student athlete – which could include tuition, books, meals and housing – was $33,048."
    I am sure they did not break it down before because the regents did not ask/did not want to know. I don't know where the biggest fault for the current mess lies, but the regents knowingly and happily staying blind is part of it. Typically the main reason details are not provided is because the details tell a story no one wants to hear. That seems clear here, just looking at the numbers. They do tell a story, and no, people do not want to hear it.

As to giving a number for the value of a scholarship for WOMEN athletes, that screams "Why would it not be "athletes"? I

Scholarship cost = tuition + books + meals + housing, why would that differ much at all from men's sports to women's sports? I find that statement very odd.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to Lobo2x53 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,083 Times in 508 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 4 Times in 4 Posts
    I think it was useful to give the value for WOMEN, else you wouldn't know it is less than the $35,451 for MEN.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to SantaFeFan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    To start it is $2K not $20K per scholarship difference women v. men! Still, a good question - why?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to SantaFeFan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by SantaFeFan View Post
    To start it is $2K not $20K per scholarship difference women v. men! Still, a good question - why?
    Yes, arithmetic is difficult in the morning! :)

That's why I deleted it.

$2K is much more believable being within 10%, but still curious (different majors, different book costs, lab fees, .... ?)

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you String Music's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,316 Times in 2,604 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 9 Times in 9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SantaFeFan View Post
    The article answers the question: "Many male athletes, in football and men’s basketball in particular, enroll in summer classes, which increases the value."

I would also think the number of in-state athletes would affect the cost since in-state tuition is cheaper than out-of-state tuition. But I don't know if they take that into account.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thanks to String Music For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,055 Times in 360 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts
    I believe that all athletes are required to fill out FAFSA forms upon acceptance into the university.... even those receiving full scholarships. I assumed this was to determine the cost of the actual scholarship to the university. So there would be a difference there from one athlete to another based on family income.

When it comes to some of the "smaller sports"... that don't give full scholarships... I would assume that the amount of money given to each athlete would combine with FAFSA money as well as academic scholarships awarded. So maybe some of those athletes that receive more aid outside of athletic scholarships would require less athletic scholarship money.

13. The Following 8 Users Say Thanks to ricklines For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    In looking at the dollar costs in the Journal article, three things stood out. [My comments are conditional given that we don’t have final numbers or how much each sport benefits from the Lobo Club etc.]

At more than $6million not including $2M plus in scholarships, the Football budget substantially exceeds the budget for all women’s sports combined. Keeping football (which will surely happen) and considering Title 9, reinforces what we all know, the cuts will focus on the non-revenue sports on the men’s side (or coed, like skiing). Anyone pointing to (say) softball just because it is historically bad will likely be disappointed.

Given climate change and the lack of snow in New Mexico, I don’t see how skiing can continue no matter the private subsidy. The only “non-revenue” sports over $0.5 million are baseball and men’s soccer, which makes those the prime additional targets to save real money. If one or both of those stay, then the likely prime targets come from a bunch that each cost a few hundred thousand a year – men’s golf and tennis seem most likely, men’s track and/or cross-country are possibilities and perhaps beach volleyball will get tossed for ‘balance’. These are not all the options, and obviously none are easy, but it seems inevitable that UNM will end up more in line with schools like CSU and Wyoming which already don’t have many of those teams.

Not related to cutting sports - the budget for men’s basketball is reportedly nearly $4M, and more than twice the women’s. I know the men’s coaches get paid more, and the costs to buy men’s games is higher, but can the difference be plus $2million? If not, what else is it?

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thanks to SantaFeFan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine
    Groan
    I think the MBB travel costs are more--they seem to do more long-distance travel. That, with salary differences, probably addresses most of it but I am not sure.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Lobo2x53 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,671 Times in 1,111 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 37 Times in 25 Posts

Vote for Reader's Choice
    ! 88°

Published: Tuesday, May 8th, 2018 at 11:29pm
    Updated: Wednesday, May 9th, 2018 at 12:02am

Data provided by UNM. Click graphic to enlarge.

Copyright © 2018 Albuquerque Journal
    For the first time under the new University of New Mexico administration, the athletics department presented a team-by-team expense breakdown that, while not entirely complete, is the best snapshot to date of what each of the Lobos’s 22 NCAA-recognized varsity sports costs to run.

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you String Music's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,316 Times in 2,604 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 9 Times in 9 Posts
    It's hard for me to understand why women's basketball ($1600K) is four times more expensive than women's soccer ($420K). I know the coaches make $600-700K, but that still leaves $900K. The travel costs would seem to be comparable given 15 basketball players travel vs 22 soccer players. (The entourage might make that about the same number of travelers and the soccer team plays a few less than the 12 road games the basketball team plays, but it shouldn't be that much less in dollars.)

Does it cost that much more to play a game in the Pit vs. a game at the soccer complex? (I'm sure it does, but we're talking a significant difference between the two programs.) Just curious as to why basketball is so much more expensive.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to String Music For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 33 Times in 16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by String Music View Post
    It's hard for me to understand why women's basketball ($1600K) is four times more expensive than women's soccer ($420K). I know the coaches make $600-700K, but that still leaves $900K. The travel costs would seem to be comparable given 15 basketball players travel vs 22 soccer players. (The entourage might make that about the same number of travelers and the soccer team plays a few less than the 12 road games the basketball team plays, but it shouldn't be that much less in dollars.)

Does it cost that much more to play a game in the Pit vs. a game at the soccer complex? (I'm sure it does, but we're talking a significant difference between the two programs.) Just curious as to why basketball is so much more expensive.
    Perhaps the Pit expense also includes an expense related to the renovation debt? That would make the expense more than a soccer game. Also, I bet the recruiting budget is significantly higher for WBB.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to geaux For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 5 Times in 4 Posts
    If the Athletics Department has to eat the Pit remodeling costs, they should have control over the facilities for other revenue generating activities (Ty Murray, concerts, etc.) Has there been a concert in the stadium since the Rolling Stones? How about the revenue from the state basketball tournament? Seems only fair if they have to eat all the costs they should have control and get the profits when these facilities are used by non-Athletic Department activities. It would also provide some incentive to be smarter with the schedule and encourage the use of these facilities for other revenue generation.

24. The Following 6 Users Say Thanks to UWyo85 For This Useful Post:

Thread Information