Hello, and welcome to The Lobo Lair ! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,231 Times in 619 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 37 Times in 26 Posts

Journal poll on which sport to cut

First Post Banner
    I was surprised to see this and even more surprised with the current results.....

https://www.abqjournal.com/1170836/o...ic-budget.html

2. The Following User Says Thank You to apenland01 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 810 Times in 148 Posts
    We have Bab Davie to thank.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to goAK1 For This Useful Post:

5. The Following 13 Users Have Groaned goAK1 For This Un-Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,325 Times in 1,125 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 63 Times in 42 Posts
    Ignorance is bliss

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thanks to Louiefan For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you Doublealum's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,861 Times in 5,018 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 660 Times in 306 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goAK1 View Post
    how many season tickets do you buy every year and for how long? Just asking what about your lobo club donations.

i guess taking the absolute worse program in America (yes under Locksley worse than your hated Aggie's ) to respectability, graduating his players going to bowl games for the first and second time in like forever, being #1 in the nation in rushing, accepting his suspension with grace, maturity and dignity from the same institution that wouldn't even hear his side of the matter is to blame - maybe WE​ supposed Lobo fans need to take a long look in the Mirror before we cast stones from within our cheap glass house.
    Last edited by Doublealum; 05-11-2018 at 07:04 PM.

9. The Following User has GroanedDoublealum For This Un-Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 31 Times in 8 Posts
    The people have spoken!! Clearly nobody cares about football in this town.

i don’t know why I posted this on the football board, nobody is going to see it anyway.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to DivineGooch For This Useful Post:

12. The Following 8 Users Have Groaned DivineGooch For This Un-Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you loboray's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,631 Times in 7,087 Posts
    My Mood
    Amused
    Groan
    Groaned 166 Times in 96 Posts
    No one expects this to be a serious poll, do they?????

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thanks to loboray For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by loboray View Post
    exactly - certainly not scientific + loaded as the urinal has been playing up the deficit and unproven controversies surrounding football in order to sell soap. Now they will write a story with misleading incendiary headlines based on their own unscientific loaded poll - how about a poll asking how many feel the urinal,is worth it's price.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thanks to Doublealum For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 11 Times in 2 Posts
    albuquerque is a pro football town. When the cowboys are winning that's where the interest lies. to a lesser extent the broncos, raiders and cardinals. it makes no difference who the coach is. this is true because many sports fans in albuquerque are transplants who have no allegiance to UNM.

to turn this trend the university should invest in the football program. the goal should be an invite to a p5 conference. many p5 schools are giving money, mostly TV money, to academic programs.

18. The Following User has Groanedplobos For This Un-Useful Post:

TLL.com Womens Moderator Lobo2x53's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,548 Times in 4,064 Posts
    My Mood
    Fine
    Groan
    Groaned 88 Times in 64 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by loboray View Post
    It may not be a scientific poll, or a feasible poll because of other considerations, however, yes, it is a serious poll.

the fact that the results are not what posters here want should not make it something you play deaf dumb and blind about. That sentiment is in a much larger portion of the community at large than people of the Lair want to accept.

Another clueless comment. No, if that was the case life pre-Davie would have been wonderful. Was it? I seem to remember the pre-Davie years had a few issues of their own, and attendance was not quite stellar. I am neither pro or con on Davie, but if you remain blind to the realities, you never fix anything. Lobo FB problems are much more deep rooted than the past few seasons, and certainly deeper than the current coach.

Quote Originally Posted by apenland01 View Post
    I was surprised to see this and even more surprised with the current results.....

https://www.abqjournal.com/1170836/o...ic-budget.html
    I was not surprised much at all. Most of "you" are serious FB & MBB fans. That is a GOOD thing, so do not take that as a negative. But FB near the top of the list, and WBB at the bottom of the list were pretty much no-brainers if you listen to the broader community.

I will say it should be a major alarm bell to UNM that they need to do some serious changes at how they do things. I would hope they take away 2 distinct truths about the current situation (not saying they need to LIKE those truths).

1. FB has more deeply rooted problems than some surface rust and a bad season record.

2. Even though they have fallen from the highs of the Don Flanagan era, there is a love affair between WBB and their fans that is unlike anything I have seen in 40 years of living around the country. Yes, the MBB team draws more, and the fans are louder, but there is a different relationship with the WBB players and their fans that makes their fans more invested in the players separate from the Ws & Ls, and thus less apt to run when things head south. UNM needs to think about what has caused that, and how to clone some of that for other sports. I would be glad to discuss more with anyone over a beer, but for those who don't go to both, it is difficult to explain the difference I am trying to convey.

I think there is important info in both those messages for how UNM athletics should go forward.

20. The Following 6 Users Say Thanks to Lobo2x53 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by Lobo2x53 View Post
    It may not be a scientific poll, or a feasible poll because of other considerations, however, yes, it is a serious poll.

the fact that the results are not what posters here want should not make it something you play deaf dumb and blind about. That sentiment is in a much larger portion of the community at large than people of the Lair want to accept.

Another clueless comment. No, if that was the case life pre-Davie would have been wonderful. Was it? I seem to remember the pre-Davie years had a few issues of their own, and attendance was not quite stellar. I am neither pro or con on Davie, but if you remain blind to the realities, you never fix anything. Lobo FB problems are much more deep rooted than the past few seasons, and certainly deeper than the current coach.

I was not surprised much at all. Most of "you" are serious FB & MBB fans. That is a GOOD thing, so do not take that as a negative. But FB near the top of the list, and WBB at the bottom of the list were pretty much no-brainers if you listen to the broader community.

I will say it should be a major alarm bell to UNM that they need to do some serious changes at how they do things. I would hope they take away 2 distinct truths about the current situation (not saying they need to LIKE those truths).

1. FB has more deeply rooted problems than some surface rust and a bad season record.

2. Even though they have fallen from the highs of the Don Flanagan era, there is a love affair between WBB and their fans that is unlike anything I have seen in 40 years of living around the country. Yes, the MBB team draws more, and the fans are louder, but there is a different relationship with the WBB players and their fans that makes their fans more invested in the players separate from the Ws & Ls, and thus less apt to run when things head south. UNM needs to think about what has caused that, and how to clone some of that for other sports. I would be glad to discuss more with anyone over a beer, but for those who don't go to both, it is difficult to explain the difference I am trying to convey.

I think there is important info in both those messages for how UNM athletics should go forward.
    suspect your very strong attachment to wbb is tainting your takes on this subject. While ABQ has supported wbb more than most other communities to compare it with even poorly attended FB in so far as importance to the ABQ community as a whole is IMO, misplaced. It takes about 7 wbb b-ball games to equal the attendance at a lobo FB game and regarding importance to the ABQ community those that go to the wbb games tend to be the same folks. The conclusion is that even with lobo FB being relative to many other college sports towns a poor showing its still about 7 times the interest and importance as wbb.

I agree lobo football has issues and they need to be dealt with but let's not as you put it "be blind to the realities." Wbb does not hold near as much interest or loyalty in numbers as FB. I also think a lot of this very un-scientific and IMO, tainted poll has been greatly influenced by the Journal's constant beating of the anti-football drum in order to continue its anti UNM (often for some legit reason) approach to creating or enlarging controversy in order to try to keep afloat.p by selling advertisement based on circulation.

I do agree we all need to explore how we can be a part of the solution for football if we care about athletics as football is the only real hope for significantly increasing revenues, reconigtion, prestige , interest and community support - MBB can get back some of the above but it's delta is relatively small as its already fairly high, wbb might get back to Flanagan days but that still is at best a 2nd banana side-show & all the rest are irrelevant in those regards - while a super challenge, football has by far the greatest unrealized potential - invest where you have a chance to really get a return is my suggestion.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Doublealum For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine
    Groan
    I don't think you read what I wrote.

I did not say WBB was more important. I said there is a fundamentally different dynamic between the WBB fans and players. And the community as a whole views them differently, which is consistent with the poll. Importance, dollars, and emotional investment are three different things.

And I stand by my belief that FB does not have the broad community support that many on here believe it has. Again, a statement of support, not importance.

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thanks to Lobo2x53 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine
    Groan
    And invest ONLY IF you figure out what you are going to do differently from decades of investing that has not been productive. If all we do is give FB more money, that is squandering, not investing.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thanks to Lobo2x53 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    I don't think you read what I wrote.

I did not say WBB was more important. I said there is a fundamentally different dynamic between the WBB fans and players. And the community as a whole views them differently, which is consistent with the poll. Importance, dollars, and emotional investment are three different things.

And I stand by my belief that FB does not have the broad community support that many on here believe it has. Again, a statement of support, not importance.

I did did try to read it carefully and I think I understand the nuance your are trying to describe but for me those things a truly blended and are reflected in what you call "support." While I agree wbb relative to other colleg athletic communities has more support, importance and interest than does football here but in absolute terms it's not even close - lobo football has greater support, interest importance etc. don't get me wrong, I go to and support wbb but that doesn't diminish that in absolute terms - numbers, attendance, t-shirts , newspaper articles, tv air time, talk show air time ball caps, and general donations whatever, football has greater support. However, conversely football has by far the greater detractors and those who want it gone as compared with wbb for many reasons some of which I stated above.

Notwithstanding my thoughts here, I am fully aware and agre that if we are going to have a sustainable athletic program (regardless of which sports are unfortuently dropped), we must successfully address many issues primarily with FB. I really respect your loyalty to UNM and wbb perhaps in particular and most often really agree with your takes on this board but I respectfully and honestly disagree with this component of your position regarding football. I also, reconize that it's more than ok for us to differ on this matter and am not going to try to convience you otherwise.

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thanks to Doublealum For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by Doublealum View Post
    how many season tickets do you buy every year and for how long? Just asking what about your lobo club donations.

i guess taking the absolute worse program in America (yes under Locksley worse than your hated Aggie's ) to respectability, graduating his players going to bowl games for the first and second time in like forever, being #1 in the nation in rushing, accepting his suspension with grace, maturity and dignity from the same institution that wouldn't even hear his side of the matter is to blame - maybe WE​ supposed Lobo fans need to take a long look in the Mirror before we cast stones from within our cheap glass house.
    You just keep kissing his @ss, Double. That's what you're best at.

30. The Following 7 Users Have Groaned goAK1 For This Un-Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine
    Groan
    You just keep kissing his @ss, Double. That's what you're best at.
    You seem to have a serious problem with Davie, but it is far from obvious what it is. Double's points seem to be backed up with reality.

32. The Following 4 Users Say Thanks to Lobo2x53 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    It's far from obvious what it is? Really??

Let's see, a far below .500 overall record this many years into his regime. His "we're only NM so let's run a gimmicky offense where we don't throw the ball" mentality. The PR nightmare he has created now with multiple allegations of racism and inappropriate behavior that is gonna kill our recruiting as long as he is here.
    It's a good thing you Davie apologists hold him in such high regard and believe he has the program headed in the right direction. You guys will have plenty of room to stretch out together this year at Dreamstyle stadium.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to goAK1 For This Useful Post:

35. The Following 3 Users Have Groaned goAK1 For This Un-Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine
    Groan
    The "far below .500" record is a VAST improvement over the previous years is it not? FB does not turn around as quickly as wishing for it.

'We're only NM". At what point are FB fans here going to look at the reality of NM history, demographics, and culture to comprehend NM is not, and never will be, AL, GA, OH, PA, TX, etc. What do you want a FB coach to do about that? This state does not have a lot of people, the majority who are here do not grow up dreaming to be a stud FB player, and those who do are rarely D-1 FB stature. Yes, there are some, but the numbers have UNM always starting at a deficit. Add in NM and MWC lack of TVs, therefore lack of $$$, and you have a couple MAJOR lead weights for any FB coach you throw into the pool. But pardon me, FB fanatics don't want some reality, they want a magician.

As far as the PR, I do not know enough to say if it is true or not. If true, you have a valid point. If not--if it is accusations without substance--then you are no better than anyone else who wants to attack someone on rumors.

37. The Following 3 Users Say Thanks to Lobo2x53 For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you NMFANINOKC's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,328 Times in 5,551 Posts
    My Mood
    Buzzed
    Groan
    Groaned 1,883 Times in 1,179 Posts
    Huh, link never worked for me??

Thanks
    Groan
    The "far below .500" record is a VAST improvement over the previous years is it not? FB does not turn around as quickly as wishing for it.

'We're only NM". At what point are FB fans here going to look at the reality of NM history, demographics, and culture to comprehend NM is not, and never will be, AL, GA, OH, PA, TX, etc. What do you want a FB coach to do about that? This state does not have a lot of people, the majority who are here do not grow up dreaming to be a stud FB player, and those who do are rarely D-1 FB stature. Yes, there are some, but the numbers have UNM always starting at a deficit. Add in NM and MWC lack of TVs, therefore lack of $$$, and you have a couple MAJOR lead weights for any FB coach you throw into the pool. But pardon me, FB fanatics don't want some reality, they want a magician.

As far as the PR, I do not know enough to say if it is true or not. If true, you have a valid point. If not--if it is accusations without substance--then you are no better than anyone else who wants to attack someone on rumors.
    Why not just drop down to FCS then. The way you are justifying and embracing losing what is the point of staying FBS??

Thanks
    Groan

Why not just drop down to FCS then. The way you are justifying and embracing losing what is the point of staying FBS??

Thanks
    Thanked 2,231 Times in 619 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 37 Times in 26 Posts
    I voted twice to see if it would let me and it did. If the poll doesn't restrict voters/votes, it can get spammed, so take the results with a grain of salt.....

42. The Following 3 Users Say Thanks to apenland01 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused
    Groan
    It is a flawed poll in very many ways. Not sure what the Journal's motives are, except they know many people based in part on what they read in the paper are down on football and will vote to cut the program. Whether they buy tickets for individual games, season tickets, or never buy tickets. Anyway we are giving them what they want, attention.

44. The Following User Says Thank You to loboray For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine
    Groan
    I think this team can win 7-9 games as a realistic steady state. An occasional 10 win season. That is the upper end i can see given the two problems i mentioned.

What have you seen to suggest more than that?

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you NMFANINOKC's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,328 Times in 5,551 Posts
    My Mood
    Buzzed
    Groan
    Groaned 1,883 Times in 1,179 Posts
    It’s amazing the Urinal is even still in circulation

47. The Following User Says Thank You to NMFANINOKC For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,038 Times in 420 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 612 Times in 104 Posts
    I think this team can win 7-9 games as a realistic steady state. An occasional 10 win season. That is the upper end i can see given the two problems i mentioned.

What have you seen to suggest more than that?
    Considering there has been one 10 win season in my lifetime and only a large handful of 7-9 win campaigns, this might be one of the most delusional posts of the year, even playing in a watered down MWC.

49. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to HoboLob0 For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you elmassuave's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,553 Times in 1,954 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 98 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by apenland01 View Post
    I voted twice to see if it would let me and it did. If the poll doesn't restrict voters/votes, it can get spammed, so take the results with a grain of salt.....
    That is strange because I just tried to vote a second time and received the following message:
    "Thank you, we have already counted your vote."
    "Do something that helps people. Do something of service. It will always make you feel good about your life." - Robert Asbridge

"A quiet and modest life brings more joy than a pursuit of success bound with constant unrest." - Albert Einstein

Thanks
    Thanked 3,578 Times in 964 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 190 Times in 102 Posts
    Kind of sucks that sports that likey were very minor offenders in the overall athletics shortfall are on the chopping block. I wonder what the buget would look like with men's basketball, football and enough women's sports to be T9 compliant.
    Last edited by bmccrack; 05-14-2018 at 07:07 AM.

52. The Following User Says Thank You to bmccrack For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused
    Groan
    Not sure anyone ever gets compliant with title IX. The 85 football scholarships are hard to offset. Not sure if the NCAA reduced the number of football scholarships allowed it would have a positive effect for all schools. The P5 programs would figure out a way to maintain their dominance by controlling the money. It is something that could/should be considered though.

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts
    There seem to be so many choices to make. Here are two factors that ought to be considered:
    1. All sports cut 3-5 % of each’s budget...
    2. Total fan attendance MUST be considered

my guess is that men’s soccer had more fans than many of those sports.

Do you think fan attendance looks like
    football, men’s basketball, women’s basketball, men’s soccer?, baseball, and what next?

55. The Following User Says Thank You to Jbrent For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts
    There seem to be so many choices to make. Here are two factors that ought to be considered:
    1. All sports cut 3-5 % of each’s budget...
    2. Total fan attendance MUST be considered

my guess is that men’s soccer had more fans than many of those sports.

Do you think fan attendance looks like
    football, men’s basketball, women’s basketball, men’s soccer?, baseball, and what next?

57. The Following User Says Thank You to Jbrent For This Useful Post:

Thread Information