Hello, and welcome to The Lobo Lair ! Is this your first visit?
Register

Thread: Budget Cut Poll

Thanks
    Thanked 3,671 Times in 1,111 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 37 Times in 25 Posts

Budget Cut Poll

First Post Banner
    Poll on which sport should be cut in order for UNM to balance its athletic budget. Congratulations to women's basketball for being the top sport fans want to save!
    https://www.abqjournal.com/1170836/o...-mexico-cut-in

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to Bachtold For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 20,516 Times in 7,054 Posts
    My Mood
    Amused
    Groan
    Groaned 166 Times in 96 Posts
    If only that would convert to more season tickets sold. If it doesn't, it is kind of meaningless and exposes the poll.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to loboray For This Useful Post:

TLL.com Womens Moderator Lobo2x53's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,357 Times in 4,024 Posts
    My Mood
    Fine
    Groan
    Groaned 80 Times in 63 Posts
    No, not really.

Many people enjoy a sport (not just WBB) but listen/watch because they cannot get to many games. There are Lobo alumnae and fans who live far, or do not have the mobility.

And I think there are differences between the sport people "most want to save", vs "don't most want to cut".

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 419 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 612 Times in 104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bachtold View Post
    Poll on which sport should be cut in order for UNM to balance its athletic budget. Congratulations to women's basketball for being the top sport fans want to save!
    https://www.abqjournal.com/1170836/o...-mexico-cut-in
    From what I understand MBB, WBB, FB, and Volleyball are required by the MWC. There is no chance of WBB going away.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to HoboLob0 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine
    Groan
    Volleyball? I am surprised. I love the sport and played it seriously for many years, but I did not realize it was required. Thanks for the info.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused
    Groan
    It is my opinion that you can get pretty much the result you want from a poll by wording it a certain way. I believe the Journal knew they would get lots of votes to cut Football. Of course no one seriously believes that would be a wise or possible outcome, so to me that makes the poll flawed. It is just their way of taking a slap at the program. They have no qualms about kicking a dead horse.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thanks to loboray For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,735 Times in 2,109 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 21 Times in 20 Posts
    I took the word cut to also mean cut the budget, not necessarily the program completely. Which in my opinion is a more practical approach. With as many teams as the university has and as wasteful as most government programs are I think they could balance the budget without ending more than 1 or 2 of the lesser sports or maybe non at all.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to nmsutoo For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you elmassuave's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,526 Times in 1,946 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 98 Times in 49 Posts
    Perhaps a poll of this sites members would yield more significant results, as it would likely poll a greater percentage of season ticket holders across all sports than the Journal poll. After all, in my opinion, the Journal poll likely includes many voters that do not purchase season tickets to any Lobo sport(s).
    "Do something that helps people. Do something of service. It will always make you feel good about your life." - Robert Asbridge

"A quiet and modest life brings more joy than a pursuit of success bound with constant unrest." - Albert Einstein

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thanks to elmassuave For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused
    Groan
    Yes, that is certainly one way the poll is flawed.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to loboray For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you String Music's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,316 Times in 2,604 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 9 Times in 9 Posts
    My only personal stake as a spectator is in the 8 team sports (where the whole team plays a single game or match) Those are:

Football, Volleyball
    Men's soccer, Women's soccer
    Men's basketball, Women's basketball
    Baseball, Softball

The other sports are based on individuals winning points for their team (in races or singles/doubles matches). Those are:

Swimming & Diving (races)
    Track & Field (races)
    Cross Country (races)
    Skiing (races)
    Golf (individual scores)
    Tennis (singles/doubles matches)
    Beach Volleyball (doubles matches)

I suspect those sports will never attract more than a few friends and family members. Hence there is little revenue potential in them. But revenue is only one factor in deciding what gets cut. Personally, I wouldn't miss any of the individual sports, but I would miss the golf course if they turned it into cow pasture.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thanks to String Music For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by elmassuave View Post
    Perhaps a poll of this sites members would yield more significant results, as it would likely poll a greater percentage of season ticket holders across all sports than the Journal poll. After all, in my opinion, the Journal poll likely includes many voters that do not purchase season tickets to any Lobo sport(s).
    I think that would yield a different answer, though I am not sure it would be a "more significant one".

First, this whole issue is at least as much politics as it is real deficits and costs. What counts--as costs and as income--towards the AD is a huge part of this. Some realization that athletics is a large part publicity thus some "deficit" may be reasonable is a huge part of this. Both are politicized to the point that the fundamental numbers are very fuzzy at best.

Second, there are people who go to games but do not have season tickets. Do they not get a chance to express their opinion? Or people who watch/listen thus affecting the advertising rates, do they not count?

Which leads to the third, and in many ways most important question: What is the real purpose of intercollegiate sports? As much as I enjoy them as a fan, I do not think the fans are the sole--or even most important--reason. If it were we wouldn't have most sports at all. And if it is not the fans, then what is the real purpose of the poll?

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to Lobo2x53 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Commentary: UNM faces brutal decisions in cutting sports

By Randy Harrison / Journal Sports Editor

Saturday, May 12th, 2018 at 9:09pm

“Your season ticket purchase helps all sports.” That’s certainly true, particularly in the context of a healthy football program meaning a more healthy athletic body as noted. But you shouldn’t have to prescribe to this “trickle down” concept. If you want to support soccer, buy soccer tickets. If you want to support softball, buy softball tickets.

Source: https://www.abqjournal.com/1171311/u...decisions.html
    "Do something that helps people. Do something of service. It will always make you feel good about your life." - Robert Asbridge

"A quiet and modest life brings more joy than a pursuit of success bound with constant unrest." - Albert Einstein

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to elmassuave For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    “We are better off supporting fewer sports and doing it well, than stretching ourselves too thin and compromising the high-quality experience our student-athletes should expect from this institution,” President Stokes said at the time.

Source: http://www.dailylobo.com/article/201...orts-breakdown

Thanks
    Groan
    How did we get into this position and who is responsible? The last two governors Richardson and Martinez, both political parties. The UNM administration, from the President on down including the ADs, the financial watch dogs, the coaching staffs. The board of regents appointed by both political parties which ever was in power at the time. And of course the fans to some extent, whose support has lagged the last ten years or so. And who is being held responsible, the athletic department.

The Boondoggle Pit renovation which very few supported and was as obvious as the Roadrunner project could have been stopped by either political party, the Administration and the regents but wasn't. Too many pockets being greased I imagine.

But now all who were responsible want to throw it all on the athletic department. The Athletic department wasn't alone in getting us into this mess and they shouldn't have to be the only ones to suffer for it. Don't tell me that the University couldn't cut 3 million dollars out of their budget as large as it is and as wasteful as some of the programs and job positions are. That and both houses in Santa Fe are just as responsible for letting the Pit debt, which is the main culprit, to be the drain in the first place.

In my opinion the money should be found out of the Universities budget, the athletic department and new appropriations sponsored by both political parties.

25. The Following 4 Users Say Thanks to nmsutoo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine
    Groan
    I agree with the vast part of what you say, except from everything I understand, mostthe Pit renovation WAS needed. The bulk of it went to plumbing, electrical infrastructure, and other "unseen" things. A lot of that was in need of refurbishment as with any building.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Lobo2x53 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused
    Groan
    Hindsight is 20/20. Mistakes were made. Cutting the number of seats available near the top of the list. Projecting the boxes could be leased in perpetuity for something approaching $30,000.00???
    Not doing what it takes to make it acceptable to the NCAA for rounds 1 & 2, all huge mistakes. However, we must move on in a positive manner for the good of the athletic department and Nunez deserves a chance to make some changes he believes are necessary, painful as they will be. Improving the South end of the football stadium for better fan support should be near the top of the list. Better restroom and concession facilities have been needed for a long time. These are capital improvements outside the athletic budget. The state is going to be getting lots of oil and gas revenues for the next several years and the Administration should be drawing up wish lists to take to the legislature. Yes, of course it is politics, but should be non partisan. We need to get the tough decisions behind us ASAP so we can move on to a plan for future growth.

29. The Following 4 Users Say Thanks to loboray For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    I have nothing against renovating the Pit. I just think it could have been done at a reasonable price and it would have been paid off by now and there was no need for the lux boxes. We are not a lux box city.

31. The Following 7 Users Say Thanks to nmsutoo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,671 Times in 1,111 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 37 Times in 25 Posts
    Whose dumb idea were the lux boxes? Any moron could have told them if they wanted to attract NCAA tournament attention the attendance goal at a minimum should have been 20,000. Anytime they want to tear down those damn boxes in favor of more seats I'll be the first in line with my tax dollar.

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to Bachtold For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by nmsutoo View Post
    I have nothing against renovating the Pit. I just think it could have been done at a reasonable price and it would have been paid off by now and there was no need for the lux boxes. We are not a lux box city.
    Agree with that.

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to Lobo2x53 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 11,779 Times in 4,256 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 136 Times in 65 Posts
    Track and Field back in the 60's and 70's had a strong fan backing, UNM has had a number of very good athletes, we had exciting meets with ASU and other track powerhouses, during that time basketball and football were winners too. And the PIT was packed The same fans went to all the games... Lobo sports were exciting, Basketball supported the sports programs, 19,000 at almost every Pit game. top 10 attendance EVERY yr. then came the lux boxes..

37. The Following User Says Thank You to wolf1960 For This Useful Post:

Thread Information