Hello, and welcome to The Lobo Lair ! Is this your first visit?
Register
    Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 33 Times in 16 Posts

P&L for Johnson Center $35M renovation

First Post Banner
    I would like to see the P&L for Johnson Center. How much profit does Johnson Center generate to justify this expense?

Or do they just nit-pick athletics?

https://www.abqjournal.com/1172600/u...ance-vote.html
    "The board approved plans for UNM to move forward with a $35 million renovation and expansion of Johnson Center"

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to geaux For This Useful Post:

3. The Following User has Groanedgeaux For This Un-Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,165 Times in 1,115 Posts
    My Mood
    Cheeky
    Groan
    Groaned 23 Times in 17 Posts
    J-Gym is considered an academic building, housing the Physical Ed Department. Classes in there and on the courts most of every day. Needs the renovation.

Thanks
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by jdw View Post
    J-Gym is considered an academic building, housing the Physical Ed Department. Classes in there and on the courts most of every day. Needs the renovation.
    Exactly! I would like to see the ROI on the entire Physical Ed department. If not generating a profit, they should be cut! Especially if we are pouring $35M of taxpayer money into the facility. I've been in it recently. Is it perfect, no. But $35M seems like a lot and probably better spent in a department that makes money, such as the engineering, business or law schools.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to geaux For This Useful Post:

7. The Following 5 Users Have Groaned geaux For This Un-Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you catherine's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,758 Times in 2,027 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 58 Times in 28 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geaux View Post
    Exactly! I would like to see the ROI on the entire Physical Ed department. If not generating a profit, they should be cut! Especially if we are pouring $35M of taxpayer money into the facility. I've been in it recently. Is it perfect, no. But $35M seems like a lot and probably better spent in a department that makes money, such as the engineering, business or law schools.
    What?? And the ROI on the economics department or the music department or English also? the Johnson Gym complex is for students -- part of their experience at UNM. Most schools I've seen in the past few years have much nicer, newer and/or updated facilities than Johnson. If you want to attract out of state students (who pay more $), you need to have facilities that are at least on par with those of schools in neighboring states or with whom UNM typically competes for students. Not an "athletics" issue.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,633 Times in 470 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 87 Times in 31 Posts
    They have had plans to update Johnson Center for the last 15 years. Having a nice gym, pool, etc. helps bring in students to those "money making" programs you mention. (Same thing with the athletic department but the current regents legislators don't necessarily see it that way.)

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to loboball30 For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you elmassuave's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,529 Times in 1,948 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 98 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by loboball30 View Post
    They have had plans to update Johnson Center for the last 15 years. Having a nice gym, pool, etc. helps bring in students to those "money making" programs you mention. (Same thing with the athletic department but the current regents legislators don't necessarily see it that way.)
    I remember taking a semester long scuba certification course at the Johnson Gym pool 30+ years ago and was quite impressed with the pool then. However, I have no idea the condition of it now.
    "Do something that helps people. Do something of service. It will always make you feel good about your life." - Robert Asbridge

"A quiet and modest life brings more joy than a pursuit of success bound with constant unrest." - Albert Einstein

12. The Following User Says Thank You to elmassuave For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 15,440 Times in 4,480 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 98 Times in 82 Posts
    This is an investment in the students, the profit is their success.
    Last edited by Scott; 1 Week Ago at 05:29 PM. Reason: Can't believe I used the wrong "there"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,482 Times in 609 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 720 Times in 150 Posts
    I would like to see the P&L for Johnson Center. How much profit does Johnson Center generate to justify this expense?

Or do they just nit-pick athletics?

https://www.abqjournal.com/1172600/u...ance-vote.html
    "The board approved plans for UNM to move forward with a $35 million renovation and expansion of Johnson Center"
    I think they jacked up student fees to pay for this.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Darkside For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 7 Times in 6 Posts
    Your point is valid...the athletics department is a rounding error in the overall UNM budget and is getting significant and uneven scrutiny for financial self sufficiency. That said Johnson Center is a dump, needs to be upgraded and these are capital dollars not operational. Different pots of money.

17. The Following 10 Users Say Thanks to The26 For This Useful Post:

TLL.com Womens Moderator Lobo2x53's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,389 Times in 4,029 Posts
    My Mood
    Fine
    Groan
    Groaned 80 Times in 63 Posts
    The question is, I think, why the Pit renovation is not also capital dollars.

19. The Following 9 Users Say Thanks to Lobo2x53 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,038 Times in 420 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 612 Times in 104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lobo2x53 View Post
    The question is, I think, why the Pit renovation is not also capital dollars.
    It is.

http://thelobolair.com/forum/archive...php/t-656.html
    Last edited by HoboLob0; 1 Week Ago at 06:30 PM.

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you wallyhopp's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,463 Times in 4,327 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 140 Times in 63 Posts
    There's also 4-5 other projects they are working on amounting to millions.

Makes me wonder how or why cutting some smaller sports would even balance things out.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,587 Times in 383 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 5 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wallyhopp View Post
    There's also 4-5 other projects they are working on amounting to millions.

Makes me wonder how or why cutting some smaller sports would even balance things out.
    All of the projects being built on campus right now are funded by bonds backed by student fees... fees voted on and approved by the students. If athletics had the same kind of support from student fees, we wouldn’t be having the “cutting sports” discussion. Unfortunate, but true.

23. The Following 4 Users Say Thanks to rb32 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by rb32 View Post
    All of the projects being built on campus right now are funded by bonds backed by student fees... fees voted on and approved by the students. If athletics had the same kind of support from student fees, we wouldn’t be having the “cutting sports” discussion. Unfortunate, but true.
    More like extorted from the students. The students only have (some) say in fees that go to organizations. The one time the students voted on Johnson Center renovation, it was voted down.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to HoboLob0 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HoboLob0 View Post
    After reading this link, can someone explain why there has been no NCAA events that have returned to the PIT since it has been renovated. It was specifically mentioned that remodeling needed to be done to get the NCAA to return.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,613 Times in 2,906 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 421 Times in 144 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HoboLob0 View Post
    More like extorted from the students. The students only have (some) say in fees that go to organizations. The one time the students voted on Johnson Center renovation, it was voted down.
    they should eliminate student fees and just double tuition...that would solve your argument...

Trinidad and Tobago 2...USA 1

US Men's National Team
    Alexi Lalas, "Are you going to continue to be a bunch of soft, underperforming, tattooed millionaires? You are a soccer generation that has been given everything; you are a soccer generation who's on the verge of squandering everything."

28. The Following 6 Users Say Thanks to zoom For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,594 Times in 1,039 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 57 Times in 41 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elcorazon86 View Post
    After reading this link, can someone explain why there has been no NCAA events that have returned to the PIT since it has been renovated. It was specifically mentioned that remodeling needed to be done to get the NCAA to return.
    I believe that the main factor is that the NCAA supplies the floor for the tournament games, that floor will not fit on the footprint of the Pit floor

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thanks to nmdave For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by nmdave View Post
    I believe that the main factor is that the NCAA supplies the floor for the tournament games, that floor will not fit on the footprint of the Pit floor
    "Each court is built by Connor Sports Flooring, the official court provider, for the NCAA. Specially made for the tournament, the courts — usually 60-by-120 feet — are then broken down and transported to one of three warehouses across the country, waiting for a buyer."
    http://www.nj.com/college-basketball..._new_life.html

"The College Basketball (NCAA) court overall dimensions are 94 feet long and 50 feet wide"
    https://www.sportsknowhow.com/basket...imensions.html

---------

Anyone know the dimensions of The Pit floor?
    Last edited by elmassuave; 6 Days Ago at 09:42 AM.
    "Do something that helps people. Do something of service. It will always make you feel good about your life." - Robert Asbridge

"A quiet and modest life brings more joy than a pursuit of success bound with constant unrest." - Albert Einstein

Thanks
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by zoom View Post
    they should eliminate student fees and just double tuition...that would solve your argument...
    Not gonna happen. Since Lottery covers a portion of tuition, they are under pressure to reduce the amount of increases, therefore you are gonna see more, not less pushed into the fee column.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,909 Times in 2,198 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 166 Times in 89 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkside View Post
    Not gonna happen. Since Lottery covers a portion of tuition, they are under pressure to reduce the amount of increases, therefore you are gonna see more, not less pushed into the fee column.
    Dark dude, i think zoomie was using his great sarcasm humor......

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to RENOLOBO For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by The26 View Post
    Your point is valid...the athletics department is a rounding error in the overall UNM budget and is getting significant and uneven scrutiny for financial self sufficiency. That said Johnson Center is a dump, needs to be upgraded and these are capital dollars not operational. Different pots of money.
    That is exactly my point. Obviously Johnson Center needs a renovation. Obviously the university needs an English department, regardless if it generates profit. I also think its obvious that we need a football team AND a soccer team (or insert whatever team gets cut). But for whatever reason, we all agree to spend $35M on a gym but can't pay $300k/year for a XC/Track team?

36. The Following 8 Users Say Thanks to geaux For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    That is exactly my point. Obviously Johnson Center needs a renovation. Obviously the university needs an English department, regardless if it generates profit. I also think its obvious that we need a football team AND a soccer team (or insert whatever team gets cut). But for whatever reason, we all agree to spend $35M on a gym but can't pay $300k/year for a XC/Track team?
    Different pots of money. Investors buy bonds, the money is used to pay for the renovation, then the bonds are repaid over a number of years with student fees.

38. The Following 4 Users Say Thanks to Darkside For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Johnson Center 35M Upgrade/Expansion, Just Part of 180 Million in Construction Projects accross UNM.

http://www.krqe.com/news/unm-to-begi...pus/1019849187

40. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to Lobolouie1 For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you TheLoboMan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,469 Times in 2,173 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 533 Times in 206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elcorazon86 View Post
    We remodel the Put toeet several criteria. One was toeet NCAA tourney requirements. After the Pit renovation was complete they changed requirements again. The ramp at the Pit extends too far that the floor the NCAA uses doesn't fit. We can move benches and such but can't move the ramp.

Everyone blames Krebs who had Zero to do with renovations. He walked into this as construction started. But the renovations we're partly done to accommodate future NCAA tourneys.

The other part is I'm not a fan of NCAA tourney in the Pit. UNM makes very little on these tourney's. The Lobos can't play here. You might get a good team or 2 but they don't play each other. We won't get a regional final anymore as they also play those now in stadiums or arenas that hold 20,000 plus. The attendance here for those games aren't good. Again UNM doesn't make much on these games.

We need to give up on these games.

Thanks
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLoboMan View Post
    We remodel the Put toeet several criteria. One was toeet NCAA tourney requirements. After the Pit renovation was complete they changed requirements again. The ramp at the Pit extends too far that the floor the NCAA uses doesn't fit. We can move benches and such but can't move the ramp.

Everyone blames Krebs who had Zero to do with renovations. He walked into this as construction started. But the renovations we're partly done to accommodate future NCAA tourneys.

The other part is I'm not a fan of NCAA tourney in the Pit. UNM makes very little on these tourney's. The Lobos can't play here. You might get a good team or 2 but they don't play each other. We won't get a regional final anymore as they also play those now in stadiums or arenas that hold 20,000 plus. The attendance here for those games aren't good. Again UNM doesn't make much on these games.

I do not understand their issue with the Pit ramp. After all, according the to NCAA, each court built by Connor Sports Flooring, is "specially made for the tournament, the courts — usually 60-by-120 feet..."

http://www.nj.com/college-basketball..._new_life.html

Thanks
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLoboMan View Post

Not true. Krebs started in 2006, renovation didn't start until two years later. It was him and especially Cass that did the heavy lifting.

As far as not making $$$, I don't think Lobo Athletics makes $$$ from the NM Bowl either, but we hear claims of million$ in economic development from a three hour game. A regional, which is a much bigger event than a minor bowl, that is on TV for two full days has be be worth exponentially more.

44. The Following User Says Thank You to HoboLob0 For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you wallyhopp's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,463 Times in 4,327 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 140 Times in 63 Posts
    Couldn't umm just pay the NCAA to cut the court and keep it? What's aCourt cost? $100k.

Spend $100k vs letting millions in tourism revenue run away? Totally makes sense lol

TLL.com Womens Moderator Lobo2x53's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,389 Times in 4,029 Posts
    My Mood
    Fine
    Groan
    Groaned 80 Times in 63 Posts
    Not sure NCAA would be interested in doing that even if UNM was.

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post
    johnson gym is close to 60 years old. maybe some cracks in the plumbing, electrical, walls, tile etc. if not an upgrade at least major maintenance in the future.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,613 Times in 2,906 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 421 Times in 144 Posts
    Spend $100k vs letting millions in tourism revenue run away?
    what benefit to the lobos is tourism?

Trinidad and Tobago 2...USA 1

US Men's National Team
    Alexi Lalas, "Are you going to continue to be a bunch of soft, underperforming, tattooed millionaires? You are a soccer generation that has been given everything; you are a soccer generation who's on the verge of squandering everything."

Thread Information