Hello, and welcome to The Lobo Lair ! Is this your first visit?
Register
    Its Mr Lobo Lair to you Doublealum's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,888 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 660 Times in 306 Posts

Van Tate - Bob Daive interview - worth the watch

First Post Banner

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thanks to Doublealum For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 810 Times in 148 Posts
    Thx for posting, Double. That was interesting.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to goAK1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    You’r welcome. I too found it informative & pretty candid.

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you Lobo_for_life's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,390 Times in 2,617 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 3,002 Times in 2,225 Posts
    I love Davie. I know he catches crap for not being "out there" more, but he's as honest as the day is long. And he knows a thing or two about FB.

7. The Following 9 Users Say Thanks to Lobo_for_life For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you NMFANINOKC's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,328 Times in 5,551 Posts
    My Mood
    Buzzed
    Groan
    Groaned 1,883 Times in 1,179 Posts
    Sorry but every time I hear the guy speak I think "car salesman." I stopped listening after he began talking about all the speed in skill positions like WR.. My next question if I m interviewing would be, "Then why in your time here have we not developed an athlete to get them the ball

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thanks to NMFANINOKC For This Useful Post:

10. The Following 13 Users Have Groaned NMFANINOKC For This Un-Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by NMFANINOKC View Post
    Sorry but every time I hear the guy speak I think "car salesman." I stopped listening after he began talking about all the speed in skill positions like WR.. My next question if I m interviewing would be, "Then why in your time here have we not developed an athlete to get them the ball
    Obviously, you are entitled to your opinion but I definitely don't share it. I think its very "fan-like" to criticize coaches when their team doesn't win (enough - whatever that is short of a national championship - lol) but to see Davie as a "car salesman" is in my opinion not even close. To me he has been very "up front" during his entire tenure while obviously trying to be positive. I have never heard him over-hype our guys and has been pretty clear about our weaknesses and need to "scheme" around them. I do agree that he has not been as engaged with the community as some other coaches but I think overall, given everything he inherited + the challenges of this particular job, he has done a very good job. Just my $.02.

Thanks
    Thanked 54,846 Times in 12,866 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 702 Times in 410 Posts
    He saw that the Debesse system had run its course here and that a change was needed. So it's more than talk. He's trying to address the deficiencies and deliver winning football. Despite being kneecapped, or at least attempted to be, by our own administration.

13. The Following 8 Users Say Thanks to LoboMike For This Useful Post:

TLL.com Womens Moderator Lobo2x53's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,599 Times in 4,073 Posts
    My Mood
    Fine
    Groan
    Groaned 88 Times in 64 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Doublealum View Post
    Obviously, you are entitled to your opinion but I definitely don't share it. I think its very "fan-like" to criticize coaches when their team doesn't win (enough - whatever that is short of a national championship - lol) but to see Davie as a "car salesman" is in my opinion not even close. To me he has been very "up front" during his entire tenure while obviously trying to be positive. I have never heard him over-hype our guys and has been pretty clear about our weaknesses and need to "scheme" around them. I do agree that he has not been as engaged with the community as some other coaches but I think overall, given everything he inherited + the challenges of this particular job, he has done a very good job. Just my $.02.

Agree. Fans always have a knee-jerk reaction to blame the coach and/or the QB. In the case of UNM football Bob Davie is a long way from the biggest problem. On the field or in the stands.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to Lobo2x53 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,505 Times in 612 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 720 Times in 150 Posts
    My first question other than why is Van the Man still using a 1970s era Bob Barker mic is who has left the program that you still have scholarships open.

Other summary points:

1. Davie will always disagree w/suspension but has decided to move on
    2. Disappointed program not receiving the positive national pub they were getting just 12 months ago
    3. Kneeling might have been a bigger negative than he thought at the time but 2017 challenges have him re motivated
    4. Fans need to be realistic about attendance. 20k is where this program/conference/community is right now
    5. Hoping Lobo Football will take focus off of budget issues, etc starting in Fall
    6. Thinks there is fine line between first and last place MWC clubs
    7. No idea who starting QB will be but thinks talent is there, especially with tweaked scheme.
    8. Gap between P5 and the rest is getting larger, not shrinking, and in year or two might be insurmountable
    Last edited by Darkside; 4 Weeks Ago at 04:35 PM.

17. The Following 9 Users Say Thanks to Darkside For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Bob Davie

Quote Originally Posted by Darkside View Post
    My first question other than why is Van the Man still using a 1970s era Bob Barker mic is who has left the program that you still have scholarships open.

Other summary points:

1. Davie will always disagree w/suspension but has decided to move on
    2. Disappointed program not receiving the positive national pub they were getting just 12 months ago
    3. Kneeling might have been a bigger negative than he thought at the time but 2017 challenges have him re motivated
    4. Fans need to be realistic about attendance. 20k is where this program/conference/community is right now
    5. Hoping Lobo Football will take focus off of budget issues, etc starting in Fall
    6. Thinks there is fine line between first and last place MWC clubs
    7. No idea who starting QB will be but thinks talent is there, especially with tweaked scheme.
    8. Gap between P5 and the rest is getting larger, not shrinking, and in year or two might be insurmountable
    Good interview,Coach tells it like it is.The sports community needs to get behind the football program and support it. With the size of the population in this area we should get 30,000 in that stadium consistently. That is where the best support financial potential is for the UNM total sports programs . No program would need to be cut.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to rcwireman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,555 Times in 713 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 21 Times in 16 Posts
    As excited I am to see next year's basketball team, football is right around the corner and I am looking forward to seeing how this team responds following last year's down season. I am hoping they can respond and show that we truly have turned a corner and that we can expect more good seasons than bad ones.
    Don't let who you are, keep you from becoming you who want to be!

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thanks to AbqLobo For This Useful Post:

Thread Information