Hello, and welcome to The Lobo Lair ! Is this your first visit?
Register
    Its Mr Lobo Lair to you elmassuave's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,564 Times in 1,955 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 98 Times in 49 Posts

Report: Lobo athletics not Title IX compliant

First Post Banner
    "Do something that helps people. Do something of service. It will always make you feel good about your life." - Robert Asbridge

"A quiet and modest life brings more joy than a pursuit of success bound with constant unrest." - Albert Einstein

2. The Following User Says Thank You to elmassuave For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 8,655 Times in 2,920 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 426 Times in 147 Posts
    of all the D1 schools in the country, how many are Title 9 compliant? Feds need to figure out how to handle football for which there is nothing comparable for women...curious as to how student participation interest compares to percentages of student gender population...

Trinidad and Tobago 2...USA 1

US Men's National Team
    Alexi Lalas, "Are you going to continue to be a bunch of soft, underperforming, tattooed millionaires? You are a soccer generation that has been given everything; you are a soccer generation who's on the verge of squandering everything."

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thanks to zoom For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,091 Times in 511 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 4 Times in 4 Posts
    I found the report to be interesting for more than the Title 9 insights, though those were notable -e.g. the gap between women and men's scholarships can be substantially closed just by making use of all the allowable women's scholarships, without dropping any teams.

But even more, to compare women/men's sports, the report provides a lot of interesting detail about the nuts and bolts of nearly every aspect of UNM's athletic department, including what the university provides as to facilities, training support, academic support, travel, meals and much more. Biggest failings are the softball facilities (but there is hope) and the fact that coaches don't get cell phones (unusual for D1 schools, and definitely not appreciated by the staff, but no gender bias). If you are interested in more than how teams perform, its a good source of information and insights.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thanks to SantaFeFan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I am surprised that colleges are not jumping all in for women's flag football and pressuring the NCAA to make it a scholarship sport. It checks some boxes in that there are already a ton of football fields in existence, the equipment costs are minimal and it would add good numbers (35 or so?) to the women's tally for Title IX compliance. It's a popular sport here in Las Vegas so, naturally, everybody else likes it, right? j/k!

I'm sure there are some down sides I'm not seeing but it's an idea.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to Rebels_88 For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you loboray's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,642 Times in 7,091 Posts
    My Mood
    Amused
    Groan
    Groaned 166 Times in 96 Posts
    There is a financial downside. We already have a huge hole in our budget. To be honest, women's sports do not provide a lot of revenue. Basketball is the best, but it is and never has been in the black to my knowledge. 35 additional scholarships with little to no additional revenue would be tough to add to the budget expense right now. BTW, I too, would like to see a list of the Universities that fully comply with title IX.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to loboray For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you String Music's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,348 Times in 2,620 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 9 Times in 9 Posts
    Here is my 30,000 foot summary of the report.

Sport(S): Athletes/Participants ($ grant amounts)

Football: 110/110 ($2,931K)
    Basketball(men): 15/15 ($457K)
    Track(men): 43/97 ($312K)
    Other Men: 95/95 ($1,037K)
    Total: 263/317 ($4,737K)
    Recommended: ?/295

Volleyball & Swimming: 55/55 ($586K)
    Basketball(women): 17/17 ($445K)
    Track(women): 36/89 ($467K)
    Other Women: 86/86 ($1,335K)
    Total: 194/247 ($2,834K)
    Recommended: ?/278

https://s3.amazonaws.com/sidearm.sit...MARY_FINAL.pdf

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you String Music's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,348 Times in 2,620 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 9 Times in 9 Posts
    For whatever reason, football and basketball scholarships are much more expensive than scholarships in other sports. Once you remove that fact from the equation, women are getting much more scholarship aid per athlete than men in the other sports. (That should count toward something in compliance, but probably won't.)

The number of participants can be rebalanced (primarily in track) to make progress in Title IX. Also, $400K could be saved in grants alone by dropping the ski team. And the soccer team probably needs to get out of Conference USA and play closer to home.

Other than tighten some belts, I hope they don't do any more than that.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to String Music For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,072 Times in 363 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Thoughts:

If a university wants to be a complete university, having a full compliment of athletic teams is an important part... regardless of whether or not they make money. I think I have plenty of perspective on this issue at this point in my life and I think sports are worth funding at the university level. Sports provide so much for the individuals who play, other students and the community as a whole. Just like it is wrong to put too much emphasis on athletics... it is wrong to put too little emphasis. Of course you need to be smart about it and be a good steward of taxpayer and booster money. But if you have a major university and you want it to be well rounded... then sports has its place.

As far as Title IX... I am old enough to have seen the result. Both my sisters were big time athletes. They graduated from high school in 1979 and 1982. I'm the youngest. I had the unique privilege of being asked over and over again... "are you going to be as good as your sisters someday"... and my father (who was a professional athlete) invested every bit as much of his "sports dad" enthusiasm into them as he did me. But when they started playing sports (pre-title ix)... they had such limited options... it is amazing to think back. They both had to play against boys in leagues designed for boys... and then they had to play softball against adult women just to have a chance to play decent competition. Fast forward to the year 2000... my daughters had probably 5 youth basketball leagues to choose from... as they got older... they had several club level basketball / volleyball / softball organizations to choose from. And this is just little southwest Florida... I know there were even better opportunities in other parts of the country... which we learned once we got out and saw the type of competition on the national level. So yeah... I think Title IX made a huge difference in opportunities in just one generation.

So I happen to think it is worth it to make sure that half our population has the same opportunities as the other half... even if it costs a little more. We spend lots of money on lots of things... so I don't want to hear any excuses on why we want to start getting tight with a dollar when it comes to one little facet of what the university offers.

15. The Following 11 Users Say Thanks to ricklines For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you loboray's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,642 Times in 7,091 Posts
    My Mood
    Amused
    Groan
    Groaned 166 Times in 96 Posts
    Your points are well made and noted. Perhaps the first goal of the new AD and President is to repair/improve the UNM relationship with the State legislators. Compared to some other states of comparable size, I believe they are under funding our Universities.

17. The Following 6 Users Say Thanks to loboray For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,818 Times in 616 Posts
    My Mood
    Amused
    Groan
    Groaned 4 Times in 4 Posts
    I think Rick ought to send his comments directly to Pres. Stokes and AD Nunez!

Well thought and stated!

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thanks to abqpianist For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,072 Times in 363 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by loboray View Post
    Your points are well made and noted. Perhaps the first goal of the new AD and President is to repair/improve the UNM relationship with the State legislators. Compared to some other states of comparable size, I believe they are under funding our Universities.
    Without really knowing the ins and outs of New Mexico politics and the relationship between UNM and the State Legislature... this was still my exact thought. It seems to me that the community actually supports UNM for the most part. So why doesn't the legislature?

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to ricklines For This Useful Post:

TLL.com Womens Moderator Lobo2x53's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,599 Times in 4,073 Posts
    My Mood
    Fine
    Groan
    Groaned 88 Times in 64 Posts
    Rick,

Unfortunately the University, UNM sports, and education as a whole has become captive by the ugly nature of New Mexico politics. From the regents appointed, to drastic differences between campaign promises and budgets actually enacted, to the absurd accounting of what are and are not "athletic income" and "athletic bills to pay".

If the politicians WANTED to resolve this it would have been done long ago--but for the time being they do not.

23. The Following 4 Users Say Thanks to Lobo2x53 For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you Doublealum's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,888 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 660 Times in 306 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ricklines View Post
    Thoughts:

If a university wants to be a complete university, having a full compliment of athletic teams is an important part... regardless of whether or not they make money. I think I have plenty of perspective on this issue at this point in my life and I think sports are worth funding at the university level. Sports provide so much for the individuals who play, other students and the community as a whole. Just like it is wrong to put too much emphasis on athletics... it is wrong to put too little emphasis. Of course you need to be smart about it and be a good steward of taxpayer and booster money. But if you have a major university and you want it to be well rounded... then sports has its place.

As far as Title IX... I am old enough to have seen the result. Both my sisters were big time athletes. They graduated from high school in 1979 and 1982. I'm the youngest. I had the unique privilege of being asked over and over again... "are you going to be as good as your sisters someday"... and my father (who was a professional athlete) invested every bit as much of his "sports dad" enthusiasm into them as he did me. But when they started playing sports (pre-title ix)... they had such limited options... it is amazing to think back. They both had to play against boys in leagues designed for boys... and then they had to play softball against adult women just to have a chance to play decent competition. Fast forward to the year 2000... my daughters had probably 5 youth basketball leagues to choose from... as they got older... they had several club level basketball / volleyball / softball organizations to choose from. And this is just little southwest Florida... I know there were even better opportunities in other parts of the country... which we learned once we got out and saw the type of competition on the national level. So yeah... I think Title IX made a huge difference in opportunities in just one generation.

So I happen to think it is worth it to make sure that half our population has the same opportunities as the other half... even if it costs a little more. We spend lots of money on lots of things... so I don't want to hear any excuses on why we want to start getting tight with a dollar when it comes to one little facet of what the university offers.
    wow! a really well thought out opinion - i just needed to say thanks a bit more than the thanks button.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to Doublealum For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by ricklines View Post
    Without really knowing the ins and outs of New Mexico politics and the relationship between UNM and the State Legislature... this was still my exact thought. It seems to me that the community actually supports UNM for the most part. So why doesn't the legislature?
    there are many components to the answer to this question but based on my first hand experience with them there are two "over-riding" "reasons" - 1) the "anti-Albuquerque mentality of most of the non- Albuquerque members of the legislature and 2) the failure of the "Albuquerque" members to put aside partisanship every now and then to vote for a common interest which is the largest (no its not the base) employer in the region, UNM. Couple that with the "pork" system of distributing the budge and each legislator wants/needs (for re-election) to bring home some bacon.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to Doublealum For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by loboray View Post
    It hasn't been really great since Davolos (say what else one wants about him, he knew how to work with the legislature and administration.

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to Doublealum For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you nmsutoo's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,866 Times in 2,152 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 21 Times in 20 Posts
    Partisanship has become such an overwhelming factor in not only NM but the whole nation that the well being of all constitutes has become second fiddle to party interests.

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thanks to nmsutoo For This Useful Post:

Thread Information