Hello, and welcome to The Lobo Lair ! Is this your first visit?
Register
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,993 Times in 1,070 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 16 Times in 11 Posts

The 2018-19 Mountain West Player of the Year Race is wide open

First Post Banner

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thanks to damianshorns For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you UNMerciful_1's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,973 Times in 3,101 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 274 Times in 159 Posts
    Lyle should be a contender and not a dark horse. If they have us ranked third in the power rankings then it makes sense that we should have at least one contender.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to UNMerciful_1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 8,157 Times in 1,624 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 62 Times in 47 Posts
    The whole world seems to have forgotten about this Carlton Bragg guy.
    "Believe or Leave"

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thanks to SoCalLobo For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you mdanger007's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,538 Times in 1,945 Posts
    My Mood
    Daring
    Groan
    Groaned 474 Times in 147 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalLobo View Post
    I'm the lobo fan who blows up journalists on twitter for perceived slights like this.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to mdanger007 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 23,370 Times in 5,075 Posts
    My Mood
    Goofy
    Groan
    Groaned 94 Times in 55 Posts
    LOL at this guy having five Nevada players on these lists. What are these guys right now- undefeated, like 38-0 and averaging 120+ ppg? It's a travesty they're actually going to have to go out on some courts and prove they're not paper tigers. Holy crap!

"I'm sorry, but if you were right, I'd agree with you." -Robin Williams

10. The Following 8 Users Say Thanks to Bloo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 28 Times in 11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalLobo View Post
    Who?

J/K - kid hasn't played in a while, let him go out and prove it .

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to Bluedevils12 For This Useful Post:

13. The Following User has GroanedBluedevils12 For This Un-Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,706 Times in 789 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 324 Times in 85 Posts
    I think the whole 2019-2020 is wide open too
    -Sent from my Nintendo Game & Watch

Thanks
    Thanked 24,287 Times in 6,164 Posts
    My Mood
    Cool
    Groan
    Groaned 631 Times in 306 Posts
    Writers are being cautious. I think Carleton will have great effect, hopefully first thing in the Fall.
    JulieG
    Loyal Lobo fan since 1962

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thanks to JulieG For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Goofy
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by JulieG View Post
    Writers are being cautious. I think Carleton will have great effect, hopefully first thing in the Fall.
    Cautious is interesting choice of words. Would lazy be a suitable synonym for it? LOL
    A guy from Bryant University (quick- without using Google, tell me where the f&ck Bryant is located!) is going to come in and acclimate to MWC ball and dominate in so much as to be considered a CPOY? But a former 5 star guy who got buried on Kansas's bench and became disoriented (maybe trouble) won't? In multiple scenarios of how Mussleman uses the obviously loaded roster for Nevada, I'm having trouble imagining where this guy gets enough minutes to even be considered one of Nevada's top 4 players. Is he going to unseat Caleb Martin and start at SG? Does Nevada employ a 3 or 4 guard plus point forward (the 5 star frosh, and then where does Caroline fit in?) roster and he is the key to their success?

Sorry, but this writer is falling hook, line, and sinker for the Reno paper's Wolfpack beat writer's notion that Nevada has "too much talent". Like Duke, Kentucky, UNC and Kansas should all snap their fingers simultaneously and go, 'Oh! That's what we're doing wrong! We have TOO much talent!'

Here's my prediction. Nevada will be very good. They will be driven by Caroline and the Martin twins, and Brown will be the best of the others, who are no doubt a talented bunch. They will be able to substitute without much drop off in four spots, but teams with a dominant post present problems for them. (And not necessarily, but hopefully, this is where Carlton Bragg can be a difference maker- IF he gets all his ducks in a row, gets eligible early, and buys into Weir's system.) They will be able to sustain what they want to do even if the injury bug is unkind to them, even more so than they were able to last season.

And I think they're one of three teams who could win both the league regular season title and the conference tournament title. SDSU will give them a run for that, and, I really do believe, UNM will as well.

That's my $0.02 and I'm sticking to it...

18. The Following 13 Users Say Thanks to Bloo For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you Doublealum's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,888 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 660 Times in 306 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloo View Post
    Cautious is interesting choice of words. Would lazy be a suitable synonym for it? LOL
    A guy from Bryant University (quick- without using Google, tell me where the f&ck Bryant is located!) is going to come in and acclimate to MWC ball and dominate in so much as to be considered a CPOY? But a former 5 star guy who got buried on Kansas's bench and became disoriented (maybe trouble) won't? In multiple scenarios of how Mussleman uses the obviously loaded roster for Nevada, I'm having trouble imagining where this guy gets enough minutes to even be considered one of Nevada's top 4 players. Is he going to unseat Caleb Martin and start at SG? Does Nevada employ a 3 or 4 guard plus point forward (the 5 star frosh, and then where does Caroline fit in?) roster and he is the key to their success?

Sorry, but this writer is falling hook, line, and sinker for the Reno paper's Wolfpack beat writer's notion that Nevada has "too much talent". Like Duke, Kentucky, UNC and Kansas should all snap their fingers simultaneously and go, 'Oh! That's what we're doing wrong! We have TOO much talent!'

Here's my prediction. Nevada will be very good. They will be driven by Caroline and the Martin twins, and Brown will be the best of the others, who are no doubt a talented bunch. They will be able to substitute without much drop off in four spots, but teams with a dominant post present problems for them. (And not necessarily, but hopefully, this is where Carlton Bragg can be a difference maker- IF he gets all his ducks in a row, gets eligible early, and buys into Weir's system.) They will be able to sustain what they want to do even if the injury bug is unkind to them, even more so than they were able to last season.

And I think they're one of three teams who could win both the league regular season title and the conference tournament title. SDSU will give them a run for that, and, I really do believe, UNM will as well.

That's my $0.02 and I'm sticking to it...
    maybe & hope you are correct but 1) he might/probably not even be eligible until 2nd semester & 2) he has not yet proven himself at the D2 level + with 3 transfers had some at least perceived baggage to overcome. I’m rooting for him to just dominate and RE-establish all the faith in his potential but I’m not ready to proclaim him the favorite for POY.

Thanks
    Thanked 24,287 Times in 6,164 Posts
    My Mood
    Cool
    Groan
    Groaned 631 Times in 306 Posts
    Bloo, I agree completely with you. The problem seems to be that the outside world doesn't even know if Carleton is even on scholarship which was what I was relating to. I think most basketball writers are either ignorant or lazy when it comes to anything outside P5 and an occasional school such as Gonzaga. Maybe Bragg's situation will be clarified in presser.
    JulieG
    Loyal Lobo fan since 1962

21. The Following User Says Thank You to JulieG For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Goofy
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by Doublealum View Post
    maybe & hope you are correct (A) but 1) he might/probably not even be eligible until 2nd semester & 2) he has not yet proven himself at the D2 level (B) + with 3 transfers had some at least perceived baggage to overcome (C). I’m rooting for him to just dominate and RE-establish all the faith in his potential but I’m not ready to proclaim him the favorite for POY. (D)
    A: Correct in what? There are three precedents I said had to happen before Bragg could be considered one of those posts that could give Nevada problems. And I said I hoped they would happen, not that they would happen.

B: See the second of the precedents I stated. Just look for the word IF. And I'm not sure if you meant D1 instead of D2, but yeah. See word 'hopefully'.

C: See the clarifier (or trouble).

D: At this point, hopefully you realize your post completely misses my point. If by now you aren't getting that I don't think Bragg should be in the conversation of preseason POY, but I don't think Zouzousa should be, either, please reread.
    Last edited by Bloo; 1 Week Ago at 04:55 PM.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Goofy
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by JulieG View Post
    Bloo, I agree completely with you. The problem seems to be that the outside world doesn't even know if Carleton is even on scholarship which was what I was relating to. I think most basketball writers are either ignorant or lazy when it comes to anything outside P5 and an occasional school such as Gonzaga. Maybe Bragg's situation will be clarified in presser.

I actually don't blame the guy for not including Bragg. As you stated, he's not even on scholarship and there are contingencies in place in order to get that scholarship which have to be met. The laziness IMO was just throwing a guy who scored 20 ppg in the Northeast Conference into the mix in year 1 after his transfer. Maybe this guy becomes a guard version of Tim Williams- who knows? But Tim didn't deserve POY in his first year here after his transfer- heck, neither did Danny Granger, for that matter, and he was moving from the Mizzou Valley- and anyway it's presumptuous to put any transfer from a low D-1 conference into the preseason POY mix, especially when he's on a loaded team that has three legitimate contenders for POY.

But yeah. I knew you and I agreed before I posted. We often do. :)
    Last edited by Bloo; 1 Week Ago at 05:04 PM.

Thread Information