Hello, and welcome to The Lobo Lair ! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,610 Times in 4,528 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 101 Times in 83 Posts
    First Post Banner
    Quote Originally Posted by Burro lobo View Post
    I also want to welcome Zane and this thread was what it was all about! It was hijacked and that is a shame, why don't posters start a new thread to gripe about how players "may", or "might be" treated. I thought the biggest and most meaningful quote was, actually "I don't know" , that should have stopped all of those threads and left the post for Lobo fans to welcome Zane!!!
    Start your own post and those that want can agree or not, but, those who want can just go on to a Lobo Lair post and enjoy, I would happily leave you to your own post!
    I agree that a separate thread is the best place to dig deeper into the player turnover question. It did take this particular instance of turnover for the deeper discussion to begin. That's unfortunate for a thread that should be a welcoming one. Yet I believe the deeper discussion is an important one. It may have played out here anyway, but at some point it may be an important discussion to continue.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to Scott For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you Doublealum's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 25,160 Times in 5,069 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 672 Times in 314 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jdw View Post
    Not only less common, but nigh impossible. What's the average right now, two transfers off every D1 team last year? You can't backfill those losses with freshmen, not at the G5 level and probably not at the P5 level. You're going to be pulling some transfers and JC's for their experience.
    yes but that doesn't mean as a poster above opines that we shouldn't focus on frosh, when possible. For me not much more fun than to watch and rooting for guys like Joe F, Cam, AM or a DK & seeing them develop overtime.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to Doublealum For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,435 Times in 945 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 82 Times in 32 Posts
    I also want to welcome Zane and this thread was what it was all about! It was hijacked and that is a shame, why don't posters start a new thread to gripe about how players "may", or "might be" treated. I thought the biggest and most meaningful quote was, actually "I don't know" , that should have stopped all of those threads and left the post for Lobo fans to welcome Zane!!!
    Start your own post and those that want can agree or not, but, those who want can just go on to a Lobo Lair post and enjoy, I would happily leave you to your own post!

You my boy, Burro!!
    Lobo Nation: Proud Member since 1996

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to Bret For This Useful Post:

The Lobo Lair Chosen RedSox87122's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,103 Times in 1,497 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 80 Times in 52 Posts
    Sorry Man - I was perfectly fine with giving kudos to everyone welcoming Zane - until, it was being made to look as if our coach was perhaps pulling a quick one on a player to make a spot for Zane. I know these type of accusations bother Weir - having talked to him. He is as up front as he can be - including expectations from each player. However, he is going to be prepared for the unexpected. He is always going to be recruiting. Today - that is what a successful program MUST do. Coach believes in out working the other guy.

Zane no doubt has been made aware of all of this. If he is reading any of this - he is also aware that this town is excited to have him. That our coach will expect a lot - but, will not abandon him just to make another slot available. Do your part - Weir will do his to make you a success.

PS - seems Frosh Vrs JC recruiting is now hyjacking the thread. What’s a poster suppose to do???
    “A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.” - Herm Albright

8. The Following 14 Users Say Thanks to RedSox87122 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    I think the "hijacking" (certainly not an uncommon occurrence here) actually started when a poster said Agee was the weakest link so sorta no big loss to make room for Zane. I think that caused some to start challenging that as being an appropriate approach. In any event, I am looking forward to Zane joining the Lobo family and again, wish him a very big welcome.

i wish young Mr. Martin a great college experience academically, socially and athletically.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thanks to Doublealum For This Useful Post:

11. The Following User has GroanedDoublealum For This Un-Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 7,672 Times in 1,105 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 162 Times in 82 Posts
    Lobo BB recruiting continues to roll at a high level. I welcome Zane Martin and look foward to watching him on The Pit floor. Zane wants to work hard to become an even better BB player. Looks like exactly the type of player Coach Weir is looking for.

Players will come and go in today's college game. This is not unique to Paul Weir and Lobo BB. There is a huge number of players transferring looking to better their situations. That is only going to grow as players are given even more freedom over their lives by the NCAA. I will give Paul Weir credit for allowing players to leave if they feel they might be better off in another system or closer to home.

Stay positive Lobo BB fans and do not allow a certain poster on this board to sway you away from supporting Paul Weir and the BB Program he is building. There are still some that remain bitter over the release of Neal. They will jump on any little thing to bring into question how Paul Weir is running the BB Program. Upto the point of practically questioning his integrity. I am a little suprised an investigation has not already been called for. Lobo BB looks like it has all the pieces for a great year. Let Paul Weir do his job and get out of the way.

I believe he is running the program very well. He really does not need to take heat for what some try to make out as a lack of integrity. We really do not know all the circumstances involved when a player decides to leave. Thank you very much Coach Weir for the outstanding work you have put in during the short time you have been here.
    Last edited by BrutusXXX; 1 Week Ago at 10:28 PM.

13. The Following 19 Users Say Thanks to BrutusXXX For This Useful Post:

14. The Following 2 Users Have Groaned BrutusXXX For This Un-Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you txlobo95's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,385 Times in 7,971 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 467 Times in 261 Posts
    FWIW, the women's team had the exact same situation this spring. One of the JC recruits didn't qualify academically and coaches helped her find a new school and they ended up recruiting another player to fill the scholly. I don't remember seeing all this drama on that board? Let coach do his job, which is to fill a scholly when a player doesn't qualify academically.

Happy to have Martin on board.

16. The Following 22 Users Say Thanks to txlobo95 For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you timvracer's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,151 Times in 3,368 Posts
    My Mood
    Breezy
    Groan
    Groaned 165 Times in 108 Posts
    This coach is amazing...
    He is humble, awesome to talk with, committed, awesome recruiter, parents love him, kids play hard for him, the program has had little to no drama, he has exceeded expectations, APR is fine, he is delivering on all fronts, and with a great attitude.

Beyond me why anyone would fathom or insinuate that he would do anything underhanded... he has done nothing but deliver.

The contrast is STAGGERING. We are damn lucky to have him, he is showing us what this program should be with our resources, brand, and conference.
    -- timvracer --
    "As of Saturday night, it would appear the Mountain West Conference has two NCAA tournament-worthy teams. As long as they can find the remains of one of them."

Thanks
    Thanked 7,015 Times in 1,664 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 108 Times in 71 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Doublealum View Post
    I think the "hijacking" (certainly not an uncommon occurrence here) actually started when a poster said Agee was the weakest link so sorta no big loss to make room for Zane. I think that caused some to start challenging that as being an appropriate approach. In any event, I am looking forward to Zane joining the Lobo family and again, wish him a very big welcome.

i wish young Mr. Martin a great college experience academically, socially and athletically.
    I too welcome Zane.

(And I don't mean to be offensive, but actually the hijacking occurred with your many posts in which you questioned the integrity of the institution and the integrity of the coaches all for the sake of money. Go back and read your first post, and subsequent posts. Instead of responding to me, please open another thread.)

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thanks to hobo For This Useful Post:

20. The Following User has Groanedhobo For This Un-Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by hobo View Post
    I too welcome Zane.

(And I don't mean to be offensive, but actually the hijacking occurred with your many posts in which you questioned the integrity of the institution and the integrity of the coaches all for the sake of money. Go back and read your first post, and subsequent posts. Instead of responding to me, please open another thread.)
    I am more than happy to just say we are in disagreement and let this go but please do not tell me what to do. My responses were to the statements about no big deal losing Agee anyway and that we need to do as UNR is doing in regard to that. I expressed my opinion that "pushing someone out to make room for another" was (again, IMO), inappropriate and harmful. I NEVER said that was what was happening here (or even UNR) or with Weir. It appears to me that some here are very sensitive to anything that can be (in their mind) can be interpreted as not being in lock step with the sentiments here as attacking Weir - I am not doing that - I am going to continue to express my opinion about college sports and the positives as well as negatives of it - IMO, there are some very harmful things happening in today's world of college athletics and some of them revolve around the entire recruiting process. Again, you please re-read not only my posts but the thread.
    Last edited by Doublealum; 1 Week Ago at 07:14 AM.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Doublealum For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you UNMerciful_1's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,091 Times in 3,122 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 275 Times in 160 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BrutusXXX View Post
    Lobo BB recruiting continues to roll at a high level. I welcome Zane Martin and look foward to watching him on The Pit floor. Zane wants to work hard to become an even better BB player. Looks like exactly the type of player Coach Weir is looking for.

Players will come and go in today's college game. This is not unique to Paul Weir and Lobo BB. There is a huge number of players transferring looking to better their situations. That is only going to grow as players are given even more freedom over their lives by the NCAA. I will give Paul Weir credit for allowing players to leave if they feel they might be better off in another system or closer to home.

Stay positive Lobo BB fans and do not allow a certain poster on this board to sway you away from supporting Paul Weir and the BB Program he is building. There are still some that remain bitter over the release of Neal. They will jump on any little thing to bring into question how Paul Weir is running the BB Program. Upto the point of practically questioning his integrity. I am a little suprised an investigation has not already been called for. Lobo BB looks like it has all the pieces for a great year. Let Paul Weir do his job and get out of the way.

I believe he is running the program very well. He really does not need to take heat for what some try to make out as a lack of integrity. We really do not know all the circumstances involved when a player decides to leave. Thank you very much Coach Weir for the outstanding work you have put in during the short time you have been here.
    Who is bitter over the release of Neal? I can't recall a single person expressing that when he was let go. Everyone knew it was time. As for Weir, I will say that at least half of the fans were disappointed with the hire initially. Weir won over half of those with his first press conference. He won over some more, including me, when Grammer wrote a 4 part series on him that described his background, philosophy, and the style he wanted to play here. And certainly by the MWC tournament I think he had won over every single person that had initially doubted the hire.

However, just because everyone believes in Weir doesn't mean that individual decisions can't be questioned. It's part of being a coach. Alford had his decisions questioned all the time. Just because any fan would question or express concern about anything Weir does, doesn't mean that they're not onboard.

For the record as I've stated previously in this thread, I believe Weir is honest with these kids when they come in. I think they know what to expect. I don't think he is forcing anyone out who is doing what they're suppose to be doing.

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thanks to UNMerciful_1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 392 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 34 Times in 16 Posts
    Looks smooth to me, I like how he's a lefty, but he can go hard to the rim either direction and finish strong. Welcome Zane!

26. The Following 10 Users Say Thanks to Lobojumpman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,853 Times in 663 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 24 Times in 15 Posts
    Welcome Mr. Martin! Wishing the best to Mr. Agee! Thrilled to have Mr. Weir! That about sums it up for me.

28. The Following 16 Users Say Thanks to Riches6 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 846 Times in 150 Posts
    The way Weir develops these guys is what impresses me. Last year we were terrible early on. But all the hard work paid off by conference time and when the season ended we looked like a totally different team. We will begin this year with vastly more talent, so just imagine where things could lead by next March.

Welcome Zane!

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thanks to goAK1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 24,422 Times in 6,190 Posts
    My Mood
    Cool
    Groan
    Groaned 631 Times in 306 Posts
    Zane's stats from last year, in close to 30 minutes a game: FG% 45.8, Three Point% 37.0, 3.5 Rebounds. 2.3 assists and 19.4 points.
    JulieG
    Loyal Lobo fan since 1962

32. The Following 8 Users Say Thanks to JulieG For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you timvracer's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,151 Times in 3,368 Posts
    My Mood
    Breezy
    Groan
    Groaned 165 Times in 108 Posts
    <sung to the tune in the mixtape above>

Quote Originally Posted by Riches6 View Post
    Welcome Mr. Martin! Wishing the best to Mr. Agee! Thrilled to have Mr. Weir! That about sums it up for me.
    -- timvracer --
    "As of Saturday night, it would appear the Mountain West Conference has two NCAA tournament-worthy teams. As long as they can find the remains of one of them."

34. The Following User Says Thank You to timvracer For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you UNMerciful_1's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,091 Times in 3,122 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 275 Times in 160 Posts
    His game reminds me of Eric Chatfield.

36. The Following 5 Users Say Thanks to UNMerciful_1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 54,925 Times in 12,874 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 703 Times in 411 Posts

38. The Following 7 Users Say Thanks to LoboMike For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 846 Times in 150 Posts
    Let's hope Bragg suits up in Nov, not Jan.

40. The Following User Says Thank You to goAK1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by Lobojumpman View Post
    Looks smooth to me, I like how he's a lefty, but he can go hard to the rim either direction and finish strong. Welcome Zane!

While a highlight clip (never can tell too much from one of those, particularly defensively) what saw that I like is that: 1) he can use is off hand (right); 2) he has a step back J; 3) he has a Euro step; 4) appears very strong; 5) appears to be a "true" combo guard (has some PG skills). What I didn't see was much in the way of quicks or explosiveness. Should be interesting and fun to see how he contributes best and whether he can guard both positions.

42. The Following 4 Users Say Thanks to Doublealum For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cool
    Groan
    He reminds me a lot of Darius. As to things that you can't see from one clip we'll get to see soon.
    JulieG

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 490 Times in 77 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JulieG View Post
    He reminds me a lot of Darius. As to things that you can't see from one clip we'll get to see soon.
    I have no idea who you are talking about. Have we ever had a player named Darius?

45. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to lovatoma For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 17,953 Times in 3,837 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 242 Times in 155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lovatoma View Post
    I have no idea who you are talking about. Have we ever had a player named Darius?

Im sure she meant Gary.
    My position as a moderator adds no validity to my opinions. I am a fan just like you and as such when I express a view it represents me and me alone and carries no more weight than any other fan other than the fact that I am always right. (Like everyone else.)

47. The Following 6 Users Say Thanks to Peacesells For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cool
    Groan
    Darius Gary. I guess I thought he made a bigger impact than he did:-)
    JulieG

Thanks
    Thanked 1,488 Times in 296 Posts
    My Mood
    Amused
    Groan
    Groaned 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Dairese Gary...... there are some similarities

50. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to Agent For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 8,823 Times in 2,446 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 202 Times in 120 Posts
    Great point guard....but no, didn't rule about half the world ;-)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cool
    Groan
    Of course, the comparison was lost...
    JulieG

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you Lobo_for_life's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,395 Times in 2,618 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 3,169 Times in 2,327 Posts
    I'm surprised that the Elijah Brown comparison hasn't already been made in this thread.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,426 Times in 1,143 Posts
    My Mood
    Amused
    Groan
    Groaned 80 Times in 41 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Doublealum View Post
    yes but that doesn't mean as a poster above opines that we shouldn't focus on frosh, when possible. For me not much more fun than to watch and rooting for guys like Joe F, Cam, AM or a DK & seeing them develop overtime.
    I agree but it will never be common...P5’s have one & done. And the rest of us live on transfers. In fact the P5’s now live on transfers too
    Can you believe my neighbor came knocking at my door at 2:30 AM this morning......Good thing I was still up playing my bagpipes......

.....maybe next year......

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 13 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    I do see coach as highly driven and competitive, as someone who sets a high expectation and doesn't bend much once it's set. He communicates pretty clearly about that. He also communicates that when a player finds out what it's really like once practice and workouts start, sometimes they might find it's not for them. Coach has stated that as a reason to continue to keep his recruiting eye open should an opening come up. I have no idea if this was in the mix with Agee,...Go Lobos.
    I believe this sums it up. Everyone involved goes into the process with eyes wide-open. Coach Wier has always been open about his recruiting philosophy --He Keeps Doing It! Speculation without facts is damaging to all parties.

Welcome Zane

56. The Following 9 Users Say Thanks to AustinTLobo For This Useful Post:

Thread Information