Hello, and welcome to The Lobo Lair ! Is this your first visit?
Register
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,366 Times in 597 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 125 Times in 61 Posts

Email from President Stokes

First Post Banner
    Good afternoon.

There has been a lot of contemplation regarding how imminent changes to our Lobo Athletics program will affect its future and that of the many outstanding students, coaches and staff that proudly represent UNM. Ultimately, the measures that will be taken to ensure an accountable, compliant and successful program will be presented publicly in the coming weeks. Speculation about reorganization of the athletics program and elimination of sports has been a natural focal point for conversation among many, but I want to ensure that the process and rationale, as well as the future planning, receive comparable attention. While this process was initiated out of a need to address the department’s finances, let me unequivocally state that this is not just about money. We are making a comprehensive assessment of how Athletics is structured and operated in order to have a thriving program that best supports our students.

Developing a Plan for Success
    This undertaking is not unprecedented, as we have recently witnessed many universities grappling with the same challenges in response to a changing athletic and economic climate. While this process has by no means been simple or easy, we find ourselves presented with a singular leadership opportunity to rebuild and restore public confidence in the administration and stewardship of Lobo Athletics.

UNM has struggled for over a decade with an underfunded athletic department that sponsors a relatively large number of sports. In the Mountain West conference, we field the largest number of sports teams, at 22, among Title IX regulated institutions. The average in the NCAA is 19 and in the Mountain West Conference it is 18.5.

In conjunction with budgetary challenges, we are also examining our Title IX obligations with respect to intercollegiate athletics. We know we must proactively remedy any issues that may lead to non-compliance and subsequent oversight and penalties from federal agencies.

The Athletics budget and the operations and programs it supports must be in alignment to afford our student-athletes the experience they deserve. In the past months we have discussed various cuts and austerity measures, but we also need to remain committed to concurrently growing revenue streams as a part of achieving a healthy and sustainable budget for both current and future exigencies.We have shared the factors being considered as a proposal is finalized. Within the next several days, I will be receiving Director of Athletics Eddie Nunez’s decisions for my review before making them public and presenting to our Board of Regents, which recently announced a special meeting on July 19.

Carefully Weighed Decisions
    My leadership style is centered on a consultative and well-informed approach to decision-making. In addition to examining data, I have continued to solicit the perspectives of many on the issues at hand, including possible reputational and economic implications. I have urged people to have the courage and conviction to tell me how they view our strengths and vulnerabilities. I have read the letters, the posts on social media, and what has been reported in the media. I have heard and witnessed the passion and pride of what it means to be a Lobo.

Public universities are anchors to their communities in many ways, including their athletic programs. Only a very few across the country are self-sufficient without receiving institutional, state and private support. Moreover, our programs need our continued support to be successful. Attending Lobo athletic events not only demonstrates Lobo spirit, but also contributes to an engaged community and long-term affinity for UNM. I hope to see many of you attending games and rooting for our Lobos. The decisions that are being made are difficult, but they don’t need to be what defines us. What I hope will define us is a united commitment to doing the right thing, in the right way, at the right time for the long-term success of UNM.

Let’s go Lobos!

Garnett S. Stokes
    President

Feel free to reach out to me at presidentstokes@unm.edu.
    Follow me on twitter @PresidentStokes.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,352 Times in 317 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 14 Times in 11 Posts
    I don’t know President Stokes or AD Nunez but I fear that they are relying on a very faulty report the overstated the number of male athletes to female athletes according to Title IX. When it comes to Title IX only scholarship athletes matter, the report they used counted 105 football players when only 85 count toward Title IX and many other walk ons and partial scholarship athletes were counted. Or worse they do know the report is wrong and are using it as an excuse to cut sports in the name of compliance.

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thanks to DvLOBO For This Useful Post:

The Lobo Lair Chosen RedSox87122's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,103 Times in 1,497 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 80 Times in 52 Posts
    Well - after reading the essay - and rereading - I learned absolutely nothing new. Still waiting for the 19th.
    “A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.” - Herm Albright

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thanks to RedSox87122 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,352 Times in 317 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 14 Times in 11 Posts
    I didn't learn anything new either regarding the situation at hand but I learned a new word, exigencies, an urgent need or demand.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to DvLOBO For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 6 Times in 4 Posts
    I think this Email from the President is basically telling everyone what is about to happen is going to make a lot of people unhappy and if you don't want this to happen again in the near future start attending games

9. The Following 16 Users Say Thanks to elcorazon86 For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you loboray's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,732 Times in 7,113 Posts
    My Mood
    Amused
    Groan
    Groaned 166 Times in 96 Posts
    Like we didn't already know?? C'mon already. Make your calls and let's get on with it. Onward and upward. I do think she is trying to understand the background of Lobo sports and the politics of Santa Fe. Good luck, I have lived here a very long time and am still working on it. Slow learner, I guess. It is way more important that she understands how to deal with everything. She and Nunez have been dumped into a tough situation. Yeah understatement. Guess that is why they are being paid the big bucks.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thanks to loboray For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,594 Times in 967 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 190 Times in 102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elcorazon86 View Post
    I think this Email from the President is basically telling everyone what is about to happen is going to make a lot of people unhappy and if you don't want this to happen again in the near future start attending games
    That's an interesting take given the recipients. UNM doesn't need the people who received the letter to start attending games but they do need them to talk to 10 friends each.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to bmccrack For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 9,000 Times in 2,804 Posts
    My Mood
    Amused
    Groan
    Groaned 322 Times in 129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elcorazon86 View Post
    I agree with you 100%. I don't believe President Stokes is asking any members of the general public to help in determining which sports, or how many sports need to be dropped. I also think she is holding all of her cards close to the vest, which I think is probably a good move on her part. Unless for some reason she wants to make this whole process a popularity contest between the sports. I think when the decision to cut certain programs is finalized, we will all hear it for the first time and it will be a done deal without any prolonged debates and arguments.

If the board of regents will be the final decision maker in this process, and she is only the lead pony in determining what the public needs to know, then if anyone has a problem with the results, they can stop attending games and supporting UNM athletics. IMO that would solve nothing except maybe one's own way of displaying unhappiness with the decisions.

I personally think UNM should drop at least 3 and maybe 4 sports and find a way to increase monetary support for the Athletic Department so the sports that survive will have a better leg to stand on competitively. However this issue is solved, I believe that there will be people that don't agree with the decisions that are made.
    Last edited by Hoser; 6 Days Ago at 12:05 PM.
    “It’s a basic truth of the human condition that everybody lies. The only variable is about what.”

“There’s no ‘I’ in team. There’s a ‘me’ though, if you jumble it up.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,063 Times in 432 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 631 Times in 108 Posts
    Stokes is trying to tread lightly and soften the blow, since she has only been on the job since Mar 1st. If she came in guns ablazing, like raising tuition 20% to fund sports, like some idiot suggested in another thread, she wouldn't make it until next Mar 1st.

Thanks
    Thanked 15,610 Times in 4,528 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 101 Times in 83 Posts
    I do think it's good for the hawks in the media to hear Stokes say that there are many schools that have had to deal, or are dealing with this kind of budgetary situation. I don't know if it will help their critical perspective or not, but it should.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thanks to Scott For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,853 Times in 663 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 24 Times in 15 Posts
    We just have too many sports and this was all inevitable. We should probably be at 18 or maybe less. We will find out in about a week. I think she is handling this as well as possible.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thanks to Riches6 For This Useful Post:

Its Mr Lobo Lair to you elmassuave's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,581 Times in 1,962 Posts
    Groan
    Groaned 98 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Riches6 View Post
    We just have too many sports and this was all inevitable. We should probably be at 18 or maybe less. We will find out in about a week. I think she is handling this as well as possible.
    The Mountain West Conference (MWC) sponsors championship competition in eight men's NCAA sanctioned sports. UNM is one of only three MWC schools that participates in all 8. Nevada, UNLV and San Diego State only participate in five.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mountain_West_Conference
    Do something that helps people. Do something of service. It will always make you feel good about your life.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to elmassuave For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Groan
    Groaned 10 Times in 9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elmassuave View Post
    The Mountain West Conference (MWC) sponsors championship competition in eight men's NCAA sanctioned sports. UNM is one of only three MWC schools that participates in all 8. Nevada, UNLV and San Diego State only participate in five.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mountain_West_Conference
    And of the other two is Air Force, which is really a completely different situation.
    Everyone's a Lobo! Woof... Woof... Woof!!

Thread Information