Jaisa - POY???

Jaisa - POY???  

RSS
txlobo95
(@txlobo95)
Pack Leader

had a monster game tonight (26/13 on 11-13 shooting with 2 3's) to cap off the regular season and get us into a sole 2nd place finish (14-4), plenty high enough to have a player earn POY honors.

She finished the conf season averaging 17.6 pppg (58.6% FG%), and 9.6 rpg, 76.2% FT%, so rounded up would be 18/10.

BTW, she is getting all the numbers while routinely getting double and triple teamed.  Is there another player in the MWC that gets as much defensive attention and game planning against as Jaisa?

She would get my vote, best "ALL" around player in the MWC along with the best season achoring the 2nd best team in the conf. (or best team, had our game been in the PIT against BSU, instead of at BSU... 🙄 )

This topic was modified 2 months ago by txlobo95
Posted : 03/07/2019 9:12 pm
loboray, Alex, nmsutoo and 2 people liked
JimSoks
(@jimsoks)
Pup

I think Wyo's Gomez played herself out of any POY discussion tonight.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/07/2019 9:16 pm
Lobo2x53
(@lobo2x53)
Member Admin

I suspect Dufficy and Candice White get the same kind of focus from opposing teams.  But I agree with you, I think Jaisa has as strong a case as anyone to win it.  Which doesn't mean she will.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/07/2019 11:18 pm
String Music
(@string-music)
Lobo

My top 5 all-conference players are Nunn, White (FSU), Dufficy (USU), Gomez (Wyo), and Hodgins (BSU).

Jaisa would get my vote for POY from that group because she is second in scoring to White and second in rebounding to Dufficy. She also is a much better defensive player than she was a year ago, which is the reason she stayed out of foul trouble for the most part.

The other five spots on the all-conference team will be highly contested among 10-15 other players. Should be lots of honorable mentions from this list:

Immel (AFA)
Lupfer (BSU)
Hermida (BSU)
Coleman (BSU)
Devos (CSU)
Utti (FSU)
Redmon (Nev)
Briggs (Nev)
Robertson (UNM)
Murray (SDSU)
Powell (UNLV)
Wheatley (UNLV)
Cotton (Wyo)
Rusk (Wyo)

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/08/2019 11:35 am
txlobo95, primordial, Lobo2x53 and 1 people liked
txlobo95
(@txlobo95)
Pack Leader

I realize Jayla is only a frosh, but she has to be in the conversation as well.  In MWC play, she actually had a higher scoring average than Aisia 14.0 vs. 13.9 (so basically identical) 

Jayla 34 from 3, 78% FT's, 3.1 rpg, 4+ assists per game, 1.3 blocks per game, .9 steals per game.

Aisia 31.7% from 3, 63.1% FT's, 4.7 rpg, 5.5 assists per game, .4 blocks per game, 2.5 steals per game

I would go Jaisa POY and MWC 1st team (polished, overall best player in MWC)

Aisia 2nd team (shooting not the best, however, all around game impressive and #'s back it up)

Jayla 3rd team (budding star)

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/08/2019 12:49 pm
String Music
(@string-music)
Lobo

I deliberately left off freshmen because with a freshman team available for them and only ten slots available overall, voters are likely to favor giving upperclassmen the nod, especially with so many good candidates.

Again, it would be nice if the women had 15 slots like the men. But it's been awhile since they had 15 members divided into three separate teams. For the last several years, they've only had 10 players on one team. That's less than one per team, which is a bit chintzy in my mind.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/08/2019 3:23 pm
LDLBFN26
(@ldlbfn26)
Pup

IMO Jaisa is very deserving of it.  White, Wheatley, Hodgkins, Dufficy, etc really good players but with the defensive attention and constant physical double teams Jaisa gets every game, should be her.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/08/2019 7:11 pm
Lobo2x53, nmsutoo, String Music and 3 people liked
Lobo2x53
(@lobo2x53)
Member Admin

I would feel more comfortable if I had a sense that most the votes were being cast by people with some real; knowledge of the teams and players.  Not sure of that.  In the absence of watching a lot of the play, it usually defaults to pure numbers without the kind of context you mention.  For example, some of the announcers who see the different teams impress me as pretty knowledgeable well beyond the games they see (Fresno, Boise, CSU for example).  Some others hardly seem to know their own team's players well.  I expect some of the print media are even less so.

We will see--Jaisa deserves it, but there are a few others who it would be hard to gripe about.  I would trade POY for three wins in LV, and I bet Jaisa would too.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/09/2019 10:50 am
MAINIAC
(@MAINIAC)
Pup

Jaisa launching one of her 3 point shots.

Also, I have a family image of each. The file size is too large to post here. If you wish to have a specific one or all, PM with your email and I will send as attachment(s).

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/09/2019 12:17 pm
txlobo95
(@txlobo95)
Pack Leader
Posted by: Lobo2x53

We will see--Jaisa deserves it, but there are a few others who it would be hard to gripe about.  I would trade POY for three wins in LV, and I bet Jaisa would too.

Not sure why this premise comes up over the years?  Why do we always have to make a trade one for the other?  Can't Jaisa earn both?  IMO, she has "earned" POY.  Now, can she and the rest of her teammates also earn an NCAA berth?  I would love to see Jaisa get both.  What a send off that would be for her Sr. campaign. 😍 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/09/2019 12:37 pm
JimSoks
(@jimsoks)
Pup

I think the wrong Lady Lobo was named POY.  You could really see the difference the last two weeks w/o Aisia compared to the rest of the season with her, especially on defense.

This post was modified 1 month ago by JimSoks
ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/21/2019 8:40 pm
txlobo95
(@txlobo95)
Pack Leader

oh, hey everyone, its jimsoks spreading his cheer... 🥂 👍 

I'm sure if we lost Jaisa and Aisia was still on the team, we certainly would have won the MWCT and gone to the NCAA's...

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/21/2019 8:43 pm
Lobo2x53
(@lobo2x53)
Member Admin
Posted by: JimSoks

I think the wrong Lady Lobo was named POY.  You could really see the difference the last two weeks w/o Aisia compared to the rest of the season with her, especially on defense.

We had two key players.  Losing either would seriously weaken us as a team.  But somehow it is a hit on Jaisa because she couldn't move over and play the point?

Aisia at her best was probably about as valuable as Jaisa at her best.  But Jaisa was far more consistent over the course of the season, and Jaisa was the player every other team had to think about stopping first and foremost.  That sounds like what a POY should be.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/21/2019 10:23 pm
String Music, nexrad, abqpianist and 2 people liked
LesIsMoore
(@lesismoore)
Pup

Post season always seems to be more guard oriented so losing one is gonna hurt a lot more than losing a big.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/22/2019 7:43 am
txlobo95
(@txlobo95)
Pack Leader
Posted by: LesIsMoore

Post season always seems to be more guard oriented so losing one is gonna hurt a lot more than losing a big.

this is Jimsoks, 2nd Lair account, lol, you only post after losses and its never positive, what a shock...

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/22/2019 9:10 am