UNM Ranking

UNM Ranking  

RSS
nmsutoo
(@nmsutoo)
Lobo

Sonny Moore 40, Bennett 46, Massey 57, NCAA RPI 51, Realtime RPI 51.  NMSU and Hartford won today may push us up a place or two.

Posted : 12/11/2018 9:35 pm
Pinon Nut, loboray, String Music and 5 people liked
Lobo2x53
(@lobo2x53)
Member Admin

Just keep playing and winning, that's all we control. Saturday will be hard, and a good test of how we stand mentally.  We have more tallent--it would tell me a lot if we can have a performance down there similar to when we played them here, but I am not expecting that.  I'll be happy with a win, but it would be even better if we show we can go on the road this season with minimal drop off.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/12/2018 6:21 am
UNM Class of1972, Pinon Nut, loboray and 4 people liked
nmsutoo
(@nmsutoo)
Lobo

NMSU's North Texas transfer McDaniel became eligible in yesterdays game against Denver.  She scored 12 points and had 4 rebounds in 20 minutes in her 1st game.  It was pretty fast paced game from start to finish.  Although Pack and #24 Aderinto didn't have a very good game offensive wise the Mills sisters, McDaniels and Prince made up for their short comings.  A lot of getting in the passing lanes and attacking the basket.  Saturday's game should be a good one.  If we aren't prepared from the start it could be like the first trip Bradbury made South 2 years ago.

Box Score,  https://nmstatesports.com/boxscore.aspx?path=wbb&id=9422

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/12/2018 10:24 am
nmsutoo
(@nmsutoo)
Lobo

12/14/18 UNM rankings; Massey 57, Sonny 39, Bennett 39,  NCAA RPI 37,  Realtime RPI 37.  Getting close to the end of the OOC all of the above ranking systems have between 3 and 4 teams of MWC in the top 100, only one system has us with one in the 300s (308).  They all have the conference rank between 9th and 11th.  This is much better than last year.  We ended up 13th conference at Realtime but at the end of the OOC we were 17th or 18th if I remember correctly.  The reason we ended up 13th was probably the number of post season games the conference won.  The conference recruiting the past few years is starting to show.  Most of the teams in the conference are still very young, the future looks bright.  With teams in the low 40s high 30s RPI the conference will be looking at possible multi tournament bids again.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/14/2018 9:22 am
LesIsMoore
(@lesismoore)
Pup
Posted by: nmsutoo

12/14/18 UNM rankings; Massey 57, Sonny 39, Bennett 39,  NCAA RPI 37,  Realtime RPI 37.  Getting close to the end of the OOC all of the above ranking systems have between 3 and 4 teams of MWC in the top 100, only one system has us with one in the 300s (308).  They all have the conference rank between 9th and 11th.  This is much better than last year.  We ended up 13th conference at Realtime but at the end of the OOC we were 17th or 18th if I remember correctly.  The reason we ended up 13th was probably the number of post season games the conference won.  The conference recruiting the past few years is starting to show.  Most of the teams in the conference are still very young, the future looks bright.  With teams in the low 40s high 30s RPI the conference will be looking at possible multi tournament bids again.

Unlikely.  Even though clubs have higher RPIs because they have played better competition, there are very few, if any, quality wins against those squads.  In another season, Oklahoma would have been a biggie, but Sooners are lousy this year.  Ditto with Utah St's win over Wash St.  Wassu has had a disappointing campaign so far.

This post was modified 3 months ago by LesIsMoore
ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/14/2018 10:20 am
String Music
(@string-music)
Lobo

Looking at Massey:

Boise State's blowout loss to Washington State (113) hurts. But they have the only Top 100 win against N. Iowa (92).

Wyoming and UNM have not lost to anyone outside of the Top 100. But they also haven't beaten anyone in the Top 100.

Fresno State has two decent home wins against Wisc-Mil (128) and UT Arlington (117). But that road loss to N. Arizona (208) and two missed opportunities at USC and UCLA didn't help the cause.

Utah State only has one loss to teams outside the Top 100 (Portland) and one road win at Washington State (113).

CSU only has one loss to a team outside the Top 100, (N. Colorado=106). But they haven't beaten anyone higher than 208 (N. Arizona).

AFA has a win against N. Colorado (106). But home losses to George Mason (174) and Navy (193) don't help.

SDSU's best win was at UC Irvine (172). And they have three losses to teams in the 140-180 range.

UNLV, Nevada, and SJSU have yet to beat anyone in the Top 300.

https://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=12734&s=305973

This post was modified 3 months ago by String Music
ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/14/2018 10:36 am
String Music
(@string-music)
Lobo

At best, UNM, Wyoming, and Boise State are on the bubble and would need to win the regular season MWC championship to even get a sniff at an at-large bid.

A Boise State win at Washington, Wyoming win against S. Dakota State, or FSU win at Arizona State would certainly help the cause of everyone. But other than AFA at Oregon and possibly Utah at UNLV, there aren't very many more opportunities to get those all-important high quality wins to impress the selection committee.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/14/2018 10:41 am
loboray and Lobo2x53 liked
nmsutoo
(@nmsutoo)
Lobo

I wasn't particularly talking about this year but as far as top 100 wins conference competition this year will produce some and by the end of the season there will be others from the OOC schedules, Oklahoma for one.  No top 50s this year, which will hurt.  I was thinking more of where the conference is going and the post season wins last year should only increase this year.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/14/2018 11:18 am
Lobo2x53 liked
txlobo95
(@txlobo95)
Pack Leader

BTW, how does SJSU have a Massey rating of 448, when there are less than 360 overall teams in D1?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/14/2018 1:34 pm
nmsutoo
(@nmsutoo)
Lobo

Look under the initial page of Massey ratings D1 schools, 298 is what SJST is.  The conference ratings include lower division schools I think.

This post was modified 3 months ago by nmsutoo
ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/14/2018 1:44 pm