Allowing NCAA athle...

Allowing NCAA athletes to be paid to their fullest potential? Good or bad for UNM?  

RSS
wolfpack219
(@wolfpack219)
Pup

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/ncaa-tells-california-governor-college-athlete-fair-pay-bill-is-unconstitutional

I personally think this would be the end of UNM in D1. No way UNM could compete for any athletes that have a popular ranking. Maybe I'm wrong, but I know UNM doesn't have any money left.

HAMMER HAS SPOKEN:spankme:

Posted : 09/11/2019 11:14 pm
Scott
(@Scott)
Pack Leader

Bad.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/12/2019 5:56 am
AbqLobo
(@abqlobo)
Lobo

Bad for almost all non P5 schools.

Don't let who you are, keep you from becoming you who want to be!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/12/2019 9:02 am
Scott liked
RedSox87122
(@RedSox87122)
Lobo

Ends college sports as we know it for all non-P5 (and even some P5) institutions. 

“A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.” - Herm Albright

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/12/2019 9:15 am
Scott liked
Gon4it
(@gon4it)
Pup

Ushers in the era of semi-pro college sports. Several G5 programs will fold, including ours. UNM will have to drop out of the MWC, and focus on being what it’s always been, a basketball school.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/12/2019 10:12 am
Golobosguy
(@golobosguy)
Pup

I've actually put some thought into this and don't really see this as a big deal.  What the law says is that Athletes can be paid for the use of their names, images etc.  In other words, athletes can hire agents to land them deals to be paid for branding themselves.  No different than pro athletes.  If there was a Lobo player that could command fees for his/her image, and there was a market for them, then they could get paid.   The schools themselves would not be paying the players, rather the companies that want to use their name or image for marketing purposes.  Shouldn't change the status of D1 football.  The best players currently go to the best schools or the schools that have the best tv contracts so that they get exposure.  I don't see that changing unless a tier 2 football school such as UNM came up with a creative program in which they actually helped the kids with this process.    Where I do see a problem is if a school lines up companies to throw lots of money at every player to lure them to sign with that program.  Basically, the alumni handing cash out thing.  

This post was modified 7 days ago by Golobosguy
ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/12/2019 10:16 am
wolfpack219
(@wolfpack219)
Pup

@golobosguy; That is exactly what I could see happening. Schools will use this to leverage and recruit players. They will basically structure business transactions to garner a recruiting edge over other schools.

HAMMER HAS SPOKEN:spankme:

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/13/2019 2:29 am
MRLobo
(@mrlobo)
Master of the Universe Admin
Posted by: wolfpack219

@golobosguy; That is exactly what I could see happening. Schools will use this to leverage and recruit players. They will basically structure business transactions to garner a recruiting edge over other schools.

I have been going back and forth with this.  Let's face it Alumni and donors are already funneling money to the big time recruits at the bigger schools.  This just brings it to the forefront.  I think this law will favor big name schools that have good followings but p5 schools in smaller markets might not like it. 

UNM doesn't have a lot of local competition for sports and for basketball at least we get good crowds.  I could see us being able to compete with schools in smaller markets with worse followings than us.  Could see maybe car dealerships and maybe other local businesses willing to pay students for advertising or what not.  I don't necessarily think it's the death to UNM.  Granted as a poorer state and community we might not have the businesses with the advertising dollars but hey Alabama business can only pay so many guys one would think.  Just like pro sports not all the players get advertising gigs so one can argue that it may help some schools.  We can say sure you can go to AZ and hoop but most of their sponsorship money is going to go to Micky D AA 1, 2 and 3.  Come to UNM and you can be a star in the local community and not have to compete with all these guys for the local advertising bucks.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/13/2019 1:13 pm