Mississippi State a...

Mississippi State added to USC as more Revenue becomes a Must  

RSS
RedSox87122
(@RedSox87122)
Lobo

https://golobos.com/news/2019/1/11/football-unm-adds-mississippi-st-umass-to-future-schedules.aspx

Mississippi State, has been added to the 2020 campaign.  USC was already scheduled.  So - Davie's lack of building anything now necessitates two, so called "body-bag games".  UMass has also been scheduled for 2020, and 2023.

Exciting teams - just hope we can compete.

This topic was modified 2 months ago 5 times by RedSox87122

“A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.” - Herm Albright

Posted : 01/11/2019 12:39 pm
UNM Class of1972
(@unm-class-of-1972)
Pack Leader

I like the extra P-5 game. Until fans return we may have to play two P-5 games per year for awhile. I suggest the same for basketball. We need to travel to Kentucky or Duke for a road only game until the fans come back to basketball, too. Besides that it will help if we have do a buyout in either sport in future years.  I am doing my part as a season ticket holder in both sports and as a Lobo Club donor. I  want to have great teams in all sports but as a loyal alum I will be whether we are 1-10 in football or 6-23 in basketball. I have done both.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/11/2019 12:58 pm
LesIsMoore
(@lesismoore)
Pup

I wonder if Nunez is gonna use the Miss St. $$$ to pay Davie's buyout?  So that must mean the schedule is about done for 2019.

8/31      Sam Houston State
9/14      at Notre Dame
9/21      New Mexico State
9/28      at Liberty

TBA
at Wyoming
at Boise St
CSU
Utah St.
AFA
Hawaii
at Nevada
at SJSU

This post was modified 2 months ago 3 times by LesIsMoore
ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/11/2019 1:17 pm
LesIsMoore
(@lesismoore)
Pup
Posted by: UNM Class of1972

I like the extra P-5 game. Until fans return we may have to play two P-5 games per year for awhile. I suggest the same for basketball. We need to travel to Kentucky or Duke for a road only game until the fans come back to basketball, too. Besides that it will help if we have do a buyout in either sport in future years.  I am doing my part as a season ticket holder in both sports and as a Lobo Club donor. I  want to have great teams in all sports but as a loyal alum I will be whether we are 1-10 in football or 6-23 in basketball. I have done both.

Not gonna happen.  Unlike FB, 10k in Uni Arena is still more $$$ than Lobo Basketball will make going to Duke or Kentucky.  Maine got $85k.  Not enough to give up a game at Wisepies.

https://bangordailynews.com/2016/12/02/sports/umaine-duke-mens-basketball-more-than-a-likely-blowout/

This post was modified 2 months ago 2 times by LesIsMoore
ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/11/2019 1:24 pm
LoboMike
(@lobomike)
Member Donors
Posted by: RedSox87122

Hey - as I said - exciting teams!!  I only wish we had a snowballs chance.  I also favor football having to do more to clean up its mess.  If 3 power games are needed, then so be it.  A loss is a loss whether its Mississippi St. or Liberty.  

I too am doing my part as a loyal Lobo supporter - I give more today, just avoid football.  The rapid drop in attendance doomed Neal - it should have doomed Davie as well, but his day is coming.  The extra 2020 revenue may just be what is needed to make the desired change.

Going to need the money regardless of who the coach is. You think just because a new coach is hired this university will magically start investing in and caring about football?

The school's commitment to football is zero and the facilities suck. That's not on Davie. Let the next guy try, though, if you wish. Miracle worker maybe?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/11/2019 2:26 pm
LoboMike
(@lobomike)
Member Donors

Also, we have an extra (13th) game in 2020 due to playing at Hawaii that year. So might as well make it worth a million bucks instead of playing another home game that no one cares about in this town. Still have NMSU, Idaho State and UMass on the schedule that year in addition to USC and Miss. State.

Three pretty winnable non-conference games and collecting over $2 million for the other two. UNM is only playing two money games in that one year because of the extra game. All other years it is one money game.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/11/2019 2:51 pm
Lobomaniac2018
(@lobomaniac2018)
Pup

Should Lobo fans be concerned about the future of Lobo football if Attendance drops again? Playing money games does not help our wins and losses and discourages the casual fan who probably wont show after the Lobos lose these games.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/11/2019 7:18 pm
LoboMike
(@lobomike)
Member Donors
Posted by: RedSox87122

Nope - probably not.  I only hope Nunez will hire a solid coach and between the two more will be done than simply watching People depart in droves.  

I only hope a new coach will have a “can do” attitude and not Davie’s “no chance to do it” attitude.   That, and a good part of People bailing is on Davie.  

I only hope a new coach will be as involved as Weir and Birmingham are within the community, and at least try to build something.    

The school’s commitment to football is not zero, and while the facilities could be much better - many improvements have been made and they are far from “sucking”.   It’s New Mexico that must decide on a better level of support!!

Yeah, you could get a new coach who talks differently, but that won't change the realities. Funny you bring up Weir. He certainly came in talking a good game, but I'd say his tune sounds somewhat different right about now, wouldn't you? That's what the pressures of the job will do and a football coach here definitely has a more uphill climb than a basketball coach. I'd say the whole "community outreach" piece matters little if you can't coach your team very well. That's Davie's bigger issue right now.

Anyway, back to the original topic. I don't think scheduling an extra money game in a year when you have an extra game overall is that bad of an idea. Makes a lot of sense. It shouldn't be crippling to a team when you still have NMSU, UMass and Idaho State on the schedule that same year. And all that money certainly helps.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/11/2019 7:50 pm
jdw
 jdw
(@jdw)
Lobo

Pull out your Lobo history books and take a look. UNM has played money games for a verrrrry long time. One more isn't going to tarnish the brand. 

Would I like to see a change at UNM? Right now, I would, but it's not happening. The future depends on money and this game just helps. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/11/2019 9:02 pm
RedSox87122
(@RedSox87122)
Lobo
Posted by: LoboMike

Yeah, you could get a new coach who talks differently, but that won't change the realities. Funny you bring up Weir. He certainly came in talking a good game, but I'd say his tune sounds somewhat different right about now, wouldn't you? That's what the pressures of the job will do and a football coach here definitely has a more uphill climb than a basketball coach. I'd say the whole "community outreach" piece matters little if you can't coach your team very well. That's Davie's bigger issue right now.

Anyway, back to the original topic. I don't think scheduling an extra money game in a year when you have an extra game overall is that bad of an idea. Makes a lot of sense. It shouldn't be crippling to a team when you still have NMSU, UMass and Idaho State on the schedule that same year. And all that money certainly helps

Mike: I have no problem playing an extra money game.  The finances are much needed, and in a 13 game year, it makes sense.  UNM needs to be more concerned about paying football debts - are in no position to pass on an extra million.

As you know perception is often realty.  When a head coach tells all that he believes he has “no chance” to recruit, develop, or win at levels of those in our division - that will not bring back any fans.  The perception is bad, coming off a horrible year.  The stadium hosted the fewest fans in over 30 years!!!  Ticket revenue fell from the previous year by 43%, over $600,000.  Those aren’t perceptions - now just stark realties.  Davie’s lack of community outreach is a factor in those numbers - it’s as bad as not coaching very well, which as you say is a big issue with Davie.  I wouldn’t say either “matters little”. 

A new football coach may not bring wins or fans overnight, but knowing this market has given up on a coach that also gives the perception he has given up, a new hope/perception is warranted.   One never knows when a new coach can work a miracle when others could not.  That is why coaches are hired and fired non-stop.

But - step back.  Davie has been given 7 years!  Weir is in his second!  Weir surprised many with how his team performed in its last few month a year ago.  Came within minutes of actually making the NCAAs.  This year, his team clobbered the 5th/6th ranked undefeated Nevada boys, and despite losing perhaps their best player to injury before the season even started.  

So - even while we aren’t seeing this version of the Lobos match our incredible expectations, let’s not give the perception that Weir has been a bust.   And, honestly - I see little difference in how the man has been talking.   You say he talked a good game when hired - I say I would want a new coach giving out positive perceptions; however, he also stated clearly that he needed to earn his Red Blazer.  He would work extremely hard in order to do so.  

Last year he had upbeat interviews and others where he made clear there was a lot of work ahead.  Very similar to this year.   Nevertheless, attendance is not declining - most are willing, even if you are not (hopefully not the case), to give Weir a decent opportunity to prove his case.  

As a fan - that’s fair.  We have been more than fair to Davie, even if his climb was much more difficult.  No coach need apply that feels he cannot make a positive difference.  Davie wasn’t a bust, he started turning around the program, simply could not sustain it.   

Positive Perceptions can bring about Postive Realities.  Negative Realities are often the result of Negative Perception.  Somehow I don’t believe Weir will ever believe or state that when it comes to competing, there is “no chance to do it”.   

This post was modified 2 months ago 6 times by RedSox87122

“A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.” - Herm Albright

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/12/2019 11:41 am
zoom
 zoom
(@zoom)
Pack Leader

personally, I am much more interested in a football team playing at Wisconsin than hosting Incarnate Word regardless of the result...the preseason excitement was ZERO for the first game v Incarnate Word...that probably had a significant effect on season ticket sales as well...

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/13/2019 5:34 pm
hippyboi liked