Per Santa Fe New Me...

Per Santa Fe New Mexican:UNM’s football season already looks deflated  

RSS
EPluribusUNM
(@epluribusunm)
Lobo

SFNM UNM’s football season already looks deflated

Davie was talking to the media when he was told that the fan-based committee designed to generate interest in a community that doesn’t seem to care had canceled its first meeting.

Posted : 04/14/2019 1:04 pm
Doublealum
(@doublealum)
Pack Leader

The New Mexican has always “loved” all things Albuq, UNM & football. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/14/2019 5:37 pm
loborick
(@loborick)
Member Donors

Webber is a shitty writer and hates everything to do with UNM.  Screw him.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/15/2019 12:40 am
FreeMuyGuapo
(@FreeMuyGuapo)
Pup

It's a pretty biased slant, BUT...... he does raise valid points.

We're all HOPEFUL that our new D and O coordinators are going to turn things around, but for Davie to be this far into his stint here, and still trying to create an identity and "mission statement", as it were, is troubling. And we are certainly not guaranteed a slam dunk this year, changes in offense and defense on this scale can be difficult to pull off in a single year.

And we may not like hearing it, but he is right about attendance, the disappointment of back to back Sheppard type seasons, etc.

I'm hoping maybe some wins this year and a more entertaining style of football brings back some of the fans. But the truth is that when you lose the hearts and minds of the fan base, it can be a huge challenge to win them back.

Only time will tell. Here's hoping it happens the way it needs to happen this fall.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/15/2019 7:20 am
Golobosguy
(@golobosguy)
Pup

I am always hopeful but I think the AD missed an opportunity to infuse life by keeping Davie for another year rather than a fresh face.   Davie did a nice job bringing us back from the dead but has never been able to find a QB and the defense has been terrible for a decade.    We continue to fall behind our conference bretheren.  How it is that Wyoming, Utah State, Fresno, and Hawaii have all made great gains over the last 4 years while we have regressed?  Lets take a quick peak at this years schedule.  How many wins do you realistically see.  Sam Houston, NMSU, Liberty (maybe), San Jose.    I see losses to ND, CSU, Wyoming, Hawaii, Nev, AF, Boise and Ut St.  4-8 with a sterling 7 game losing streak at the end.  Sound familiar?  So when we do fire Davie at the end of the season, we will start our rebuild a year from now instead of right now.    Now maybe I will be surprised.  Its happened before.  But I am trying to set my expectations correctly early.  And if most fans are like me, then no wonder no-one cares.   For the record, I will be a ND representing in my red.  Just as I was at Wisconsin last year, Rutgers 3 years ago etc.     Lets face it.  There is nearly zero chatter on the football boards.  There is little news about the team except on GoLobos.   What is there exactly to be excited about?   I don't have expectations of winning national championships but we have comparable budgets to our conference brethren and comparable or better facilities and yet we are losing 7 straight conference games every year.  Most of them in blowout fashion.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/15/2019 9:17 am
macomber04
(@macomber04)
Lobo

Anyone Else have the feeling that Coach Dailey will be the new head coach by this time next year 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/15/2019 2:49 pm
UNM Class of1972
(@unm-class-of-1972)
Pack Leader

Canceled meetings will be rescheduled. I have not renewed my season tickets yet either BUT I will. I never heard of Webber but he sounds like a whiney little bastard.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/15/2019 6:55 pm
loborick and loboman liked
Lobo_for_life
(@lobo_for_life)
Pack Leader
Posted by: macomber04

Anyone Else have the feeling that Coach Dailey will be the new head coach by this time next year 

Trying to interpret, does this mean next year goes better or worse than expected?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/15/2019 8:31 pm
NMFANINOKC
(@nmfaninokc)
Member Donors

So all I read all over the country is all this hype about spring games.. What are we doing at UNM?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/15/2019 9:41 pm
Lobo Amor
(@Lobo-Amor)
Lobo

Webber is an opinions writer who likes to use his "platform" to destroy or discredit anyone he dislikes. Webber is part of what is wrong with Santa Fe, transplants that are trying to push out the native Santa Feans for their own agenda.

The good thing is this article what written now and most will forget about it before the season starts. I always hold out hope and I see the desperation that Davie finally has for our program, something he should of had sooner.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/16/2019 5:12 am
Louiefan
(@Louiefan)
Lobo
Posted by: Lobo Amor

Webber is an opinions writer who likes to use his "platform" to destroy or discredit anyone he dislikes. Webber is part of what is wrong with Santa Fe, transplants that are trying to push out the native Santa Feans for their own agenda.

The good thing is this article what written now and most will forget about it before the season starts. I always hold out hope and I see the desperation that Davie finally has for our program, something he should of had sooner.

Did you know, Webber is from Santa Fe and attended UNM? But don’t let facts get in the way.

This post was modified 3 months ago by Louiefan
ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/16/2019 8:41 am
UNM Class of1972
(@unm-class-of-1972)
Pack Leader
Posted by: Louiefan
Posted by: Lobo Amor

Did you know, Webber is from Santa Fe and attended UNM? But don’t let facts get in the way.

Did you know that he is still a whiney bastard. A few other whiney bastards attended UNM so he is not the first. Did he graduate or flunk out?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/16/2019 10:05 am
loborick liked
Scott
(@Scott)
Pack Leader

I don't think Webber has a specific anti-UNM agenda, but I do think he likes to take advantage of opportunities for negative spin and chooses the critical angle more often than the positive.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/16/2019 2:57 pm
loborick liked
LesIsMoore
(@lesismoore)
Pup
Posted by: macomber04

No because last year at this time, Cal Magee was gonna be the head coach by now.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/16/2019 4:40 pm
Lobo Amor
(@Lobo-Amor)
Lobo

Webber is a suck up to elites of SF that are not from NM. He is against UNM sports being funded, especially football. He is against our traditions here in northern NM and is part of the SF crowd that is still upset that Burque got the university and SF got the state pen. He is quick to dump on the other northern communities while ignoring the mess that SF is.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/17/2019 2:30 pm
FreeMuyGuapo
(@FreeMuyGuapo)
Pup

All these attacks on Weber are called "ad hominem attacks".

He didn't make a single point in that article that wasn't true. Unpopular, maybe. But his points are valid.

Attacking the messenger does not change the message. UNM football and Bob Davie have a huge challenge ahead. For BD, another 3-9 season is probably the end. For Lobo football, generating interest and winning games in a brand new (again) system with new coordinators is also a challenge. Few teams have immediate success when they make such big changes, UNM will have to buck the odds to be one of those teams.

Whether or not you like the guy has nothing to do with the validity of the points he raised. The lack of logic/critical thinking here does not erase the validity of those concerns.

We all want to see the turnaround. I hope it happens. But anyone who thinks it will be easy or is a sure thing, I have some beachfront property in Yuma AZ I would like to sell you.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/18/2019 8:50 am
Lobo2x53
(@lobo2x53)
Member Admin

I am not a FB guy.  Never have been, so I often don't really know how to look at a practice or a program and tell the good from the bad.

That being said, I read the SF article and it did come across as very negative and a bit gloating about it.  Is the negativity warranted?  I don't really know (see the first sentence of this post).

But here is what I would suggest to the Lobo FB fans on here:  as far as I know, practices are all open.  It would be very good if a couple posters here went to some and then wrote up what they see/think.  I would not assume the UNM SID office will have the time to provide as much info as you would like, and no matter how accurate it might be, plenty of people will question the impartiality of what they say.  So do yourself a favor, and the others on here, and give us your opinions.

Anyone who wants to do this, contact Isabel, or let me know, and we'll help as much as we can.

Now back you your regularly scheduled discussions.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/18/2019 10:21 am
Scott
(@Scott)
Pack Leader

"A bit gloating about it" is a good way to sum up the tone of many of Webber's articles. That's my complaint about him. Guapo is correct in that the facts are the facts whether we like them or not. But from my perspective Webber puts a snide angle on some of his statements that tends to set me (and others) off sometimes. It's too bad because a story is a story, more objectivity would be nice.

I'll also give Webber credit for a couple of pretty solid articles about Weir and the hoops program during this last season. There are times his language remains objective, too bad he doesn't stick to that as a rule.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/18/2019 3:01 pm
Lobo2x53 liked