Big men next year

Big men next year  

RSS
LOBORED1
(@LOBORED1)
Pup

no one else find it concerning that there is only 2 post players next year? Bragg is foul prone and Cory is below average defender. An injury would cancel out the season. I hope January qualifies or PDub has a back up plan.

Posted : 07/12/2019 9:47 am
Bradpal and txlobo95 liked
txlobo95
(@txlobo95)
Pack Leader
Posted by: LOBORED1

no one else find it concerning that there is only 2 post players next year?...PDub has a back up plan.

yes, a lot of concern, but let's all hope PW is working diligently behind the scenes trying to find a fix to the issue.

Based on our current roster, it appears MM may go back to the 4 where he had success as a frosh, albeit, we got out-rebounded badly, by doing a make-shift line-up that year.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/12/2019 10:27 am
PaulWeir
(@paulweir)
Pup
Posted by: txlobo95

no one else find it concerning that there is only 2 post players next year?...PDub has a back up plan.

yes, a lot of concern, but let's all hope PW is working diligently behind the scenes trying to find a fix to the issue.

"a lot of concern?"

weir is most successful with guard-oriented teams. so what  teams concern you most? Cavacho and Queta are the only decent centers in the conference and Bragg will play little man-to-man anyway.

This post was modified 2 weeks ago by PaulWeir
ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/12/2019 11:27 am
JulieG liked
MRLobo
(@mrlobo)
Master of the Universe Admin

I think one more big would be nice but also think we can manage without.  Year one we had one big man with Joe F and managed okay.  I think Bragg and Cory with that year under their belt will take that next step.  Playing MM, Vance and possibly Eman at the 4 is going to be a must so we can get as many of our talented guards on the court.  Would really like to see the guards rebound better also. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/12/2019 1:16 pm
txlobo95
(@txlobo95)
Pack Leader
Posted by: PaulWeir

"a lot of concern?"

weir is most successful with guard-oriented teams. so what  teams concern you most? Cavacho and Queta are the only decent centers in the conference and Bragg will play little man-to-man anyway.

so you would consider his first year at UNM with 19 wins, no post season, a huge success?  So our bar is around 19 or 20 wins as a "most" successful season?

Weir had 1 successful year so far as a college HC and it was at NMSU.  Clearly, losing Troy and Chris really hurt us last year and in retrospect, my guess is, Weir would have kept one or both and we most likely have a much better season.

Our strongest year (not most wins) under Alford, 2012, we had 3 legit post players, Drew and AJ starting and Cam as the primary back-up.

IMO, you need at least 3 strong post players, so yes, you can include Vance in the mix, since he will play the 4.

The biggest concern, not only concerns this year, but more importantly next year.  For sure we lose Bragg and Corey as Sr's and "likely" we lose Vance to declaring as a pro.  That leaves us ZERO legit post players for the following season.  If you think we can simply bring in brand new post players that don't know the system, just review last year's record.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/12/2019 1:27 pm
Bradpal and PaulWeir liked
JulieG
(@julieg)
Contributer Donors

Bringing in new post this year would have the same effect this year, although might help next year according to your logic. I would love to have multiple talented posts coming in this year, in particular, or next. We may just have to go with what we have. It seems that at this time of the recruiting season that the pickings are not so good.:-(

JulieG
Loyal Lobo fan since 1962

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/12/2019 1:55 pm
Doublealum
(@doublealum)
Pack Leader

I certainly have no inside info nor a crystal ball but if our roster stays put as we presently see, we have two guys who should primarily play in the post.  Based on last year's performances, with the expectation of improvement, I suspect on O we will see a 4 out, one in system in the 1/2 court with the desire to run as much as possible to take advantage of the plethora of perimeter players.  Obviously, with only two post players, we are a bit thin but not a disaster at all offensively. 

However on the boards, our perimeter guys better have a focus on helping out (we just must learn to block out at a minimum) or we will get hurt by the bad guys on their offensive glass. 

Defensively, I suspect that based on a philosophy  being brought in by   McHale and based on our talents and limitations defensively, I suspect we will not only see the press but in the 1/2 court a "match-up" zone.   

I certainly don't know if this will be successful and I too would wish for another big (would have thought keeping Vlad would have been a good idea but what do I know); however, if the above approaches are instituted and with real buy-in and all out effort by the players, we can be successful without the 3rd big.       

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/12/2019 2:09 pm
PaulWeir
(@paulweir)
Pup

"a lot of concern?"

so you would consider his first year at UNM with 19 wins, no post season, a huge success?  So our bar is around 19 or 20 wins as a "most" successful season?

Weir had 1 successful year so far as a college HC and it was at NMSU.  Clearly, losing Troy and Chris really hurt us last year and in retrospect, my guess is, Weir would have kept one or both and we most likely have a much better season.

Our strongest year (not most wins) under Alford, 2012, we had 3 legit post players, Drew and AJ starting and Cam as the primary back-up.

IMO, you need at least 3 strong post players, so yes, you can include Vance in the mix, since he will play the 4.

The biggest concern, not only concerns this year, but more importantly next year.  For sure we lose Bragg and Corey as Sr's and "likely" we lose Vance to declaring as a pro.  That leaves us ZERO legit post players for the following season.  If you think we can simply bring in brand new post players that don't know the system, just review last year's record.  

I think we can all agree that more bigs is better. But the AJ/Cam/Alex era was 6 years ago. You don't need that much size to win the Mountain West anymore.

This post was modified 2 weeks ago by PaulWeir
ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/12/2019 2:41 pm
RedSox87122
(@RedSox87122)
Lobo

And, yet so many around here were anxious to run off Vlad. smh

“A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.” - Herm Albright

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/12/2019 3:48 pm
Bradpal, abqpianist, Scott and 2 people liked
Howler
(@howler)
Referee Evaluator Donors
Posted by: RedSox87122

And, yet so many around here were anxious to run off Vlad. smh

the irony is rich.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/12/2019 4:10 pm
RedSox87122, Bradpal, abqpianist and 2 people liked
DWL
 DWL
(@DWL)
Lobo

I disagree. “More Bigs is better”. 

This is a guard oriented game. You only need 1 good big and some back ups.  What the Lobos really need is a PG. Last year they had none. The year before, we had 2 SGs that were recruited to run the point. They got better as the season progressed.  But a Mid Major team has to win early OOC games to be considered “good”. 

The key to winning games on the road and the key to a winning season of basketball is guard play and specifically PG play. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/12/2019 4:13 pm
RR Rick, ComeOnNow, JulieG and 1 people liked
Scott
(@Scott)
Pack Leader

Seems to me Vance and Maluach will have to have some stints underneath to help out. One more post in the mix would be nice, but scrounging another at this point seems to be more risk that reward. And there's also that thing of scholarships being accounted for (yes, with remaining ?'s on eligibility).

If Weir ran a lot of half court sets I think bigs would be a much bigger concern. That said, Vlad will be missed for sure.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/12/2019 8:03 pm
UNMerciful_1
(@unmerciful_1)
Pack Leader

"a lot of concern?"

Absolutely!  Weir came in late.  He did not have his guys yet.  And we lost McDougall in an exhibition game.  And even with Connor we were still only picked 9th in the league..... but we finished 3rd.  If you don't count that as a successful season then I can't help you.  

As for this year, Weir has his guys.  Everyone on the roster was recruited by Weir specifically for his style of play.  He's had two full years to implement his system.  19 wins and a 3rd place finish would not be a successful season this year.  You must look at everything in context.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/12/2019 8:17 pm
primordial, ComeOnNow, PaulWeir and 4 people liked
Lobo_for_life
(@lobo_for_life)
Pack Leader

Undersized or not, it looks like Jordan Arroyo could get a few minutes a game next season at the "5". Hopefully he's gotten a little bigger and hopefully they'll have him ready.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/14/2019 8:38 am
Bradpal and Scott liked
Scott
(@Scott)
Pack Leader

Arroyo gets after it and a league not huge on size he could be a good option at times.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/14/2019 8:48 am
Hoser
(@hoser)
Pack Leader

no one else find it concerning that there is only 2 post players next year? Bragg is foul prone and Cory is below average defender. An injury would cancel out the season. I hope January qualifies or PDub has a back up plan.

Unless you have not noticed, Weir's system really does not rely on a true post player IMO.  I don't think he will sign another true big for next season.  Personally, I think Weir wants a closet full of 6-7 players with a couple of 6-4's running around the court like the Harlem Globe Trotters.  I am totally blind as to what he will do next season, but I truly hope he abandons the full court press for 40 minutes.

This post was modified 1 week ago by Hoser

“It’s a basic truth of the human condition that everybody lies. The only variable is about what.”

“There’s no ‘I’ in team. There’s a ‘me’ though, if you jumble it up".

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/14/2019 5:42 pm