Former Lobo Assistant Lamont Smith Implicated in College Admissions Scandal  

RSS
the_pole_28
(@the_pole_28)
Lobo
RedSox87122
(@RedSox87122)
Lobo

How sad.  Curious as to what part he played.  Surely he wasn’t allowing non-players to pretend they were recruited to be members of the team - was he???  Or, walk-ons???  What the hell!!!

“A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.” - Herm Albright

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/20/2019 8:14 pm
JulieG liked
UNM Class of1972
(@unm-class-of-1972)
Pack Leader

I feel sorry for his family. I remember his cute little daughters that cheered for the Lobos. He needs to tell his side of the story but he doesn't need this stuff. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/20/2019 8:18 pm
UWS
 UWS
(@uws)
Pup

According to this article, he accepted a kickback for helping a student get into the school. So by that language, he could have used his influence to help someone, not necessarily a player, get in. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/39232085

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/20/2019 9:52 pm
abqpianist and JulieG liked
UWS
 UWS
(@uws)
Pup

In the old days, all one had to do to get a particular student into a school is call in a favor. No money changed hands.

A few years ago, there was an investigation of the UT Austin admissions process that determined over a five year span, 73 sub-par students were admitted after they contacted certain regents. 

By the time you factor in political favors, affirmative action, legacies, sports scholarships, fraudulent admissions, well heeled donors, junior college transfers, and others I failed to mention, there’s a whole lot of marginal students getting into some of the top schools. Then when you consider how many foreigners are attending our top schools, the chances are low that a hard working “American” student can get in even with very good grades. The stystem is broken, and when you realize that, the ethics become blurred so that people are willing to do just about anything to get their kids in. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/20/2019 10:30 pm