Houston Cougars

Houston Cougars  

RSS
Mykela05
(@mykela05)
Pup

I'm impressed with what Sampson has done over there. Their roster, recruits, commits looks identical to ours. Lots of solid 3*** recruits. With that said, it was a rough year. Highs and Lows. I'm a Weir believer. I feel losing J Lyle hurt more then anyone knows. I've heard he's been and is the leader.

I'm 100% behind coach and the team. Wonder what's gonna happen with the signing 1 over the scholie limit. I don't want to see anyonyone leaving. I really like this team. Go Lobos!!!!!

Go Lobos!!!!!!

Posted : 03/17/2019 1:15 pm
wolfman, jbarr, Red Blazer and 2 people liked
txlobo95
(@txlobo95)
Pack Leader

2 coaches that got in hot water with the NCAA sanctions and had to leave their previous schools, Sampson (OK) and Bruce Pearl (TN) are now taking their teams to all new heights, Houston and Auburn. 

Auburn just won the SEC tournament for the first time in over 30 years and Houston is playing for their first ever AAC Title and 32nd win.  That would tie for the most school wins in history and that's before the NCAA tourney.  The 82-83 team was 31-3 and the 83-84 team was 32-5.   Just to show you how ridiculous this turnaround is at Houston, before last year, they had only been to 1 NCAA tournament (2010) in the last 26 years, 1992 was their last appearance.  Now, they have gone to back to back NCAA's and this year appear to have a 2/3 seed wrapped up.  Last year was also their first NCAA win since 83-84.  This year they are poised to make a much deeper run.

Even if you look at our history, "results wise" Bliss was probably one of our  top 2 "results" oriented coaches with 4 NCAA wins and 7 overall NCAA appearances.  Bliss was running from what could have been sanctions at SMU and had a stellar run here, laying the foundation for what Alford would later build on.  We can't control what he did after he left UNM, so...

Alford would be the other most successful "results wise" coaches at UNM.  Although, he was not running from potential NCAA sanctions, he was in hot water at Iowa with the fans and was on the hot seat about to be on his way out of town, until UNM intervened and provided him a safe landing spot and a place to rehab his image to the tune of the UCLA contract.

That brings up the question, when Neal was fired and Steve Forbes was available, could he have been the true home run hire we needed?  He was a Bruce Pearl assistant at TN and he has not personally come under NCAA sanctions as he is still the active coach at ETSU, but was part of that staff.  It's also clear, Pearl is able to get the absolute most out of his players.  IMO, you can echo similar sentiments for Forbes.

For UNM's sake, I think they may have missed the boat with Forbes.  However, as a fan and given what we have, I hope for Weir's sake, next year's team is finally able to turn the corner in a BIG way and get the program back to the NCAA tournament, just like USU did.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/17/2019 1:43 pm
Mykela05 and 808LOBO liked
LoboLen
(@LoboLen)
Pup
Posted by: Mykela05

I'm impressed with what Sampson has done over there. Their roster, recruits, commits looks identical to ours. Lots of solid 3*** recruits. With that said, it was a rough year. Highs and Lows. I'm a Weir believer. I feel losing J Lyle hurt more then anyone knows. I've heard he's been and is the leader.

I'm 100% behind coach and the team. Wonder what's gonna happen with the signing 1 over the scholie limit. I don't want to see anyonyone leaving. I really like this team. Go Lobos!!!!!

I didnt think this team was a schollie over... 3 departures (AM, DK, and Ezzedine) and 3 incoming (Andrew, Hendrix, and Caldwell)

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/17/2019 1:51 pm
JulieG liked
Golobosguy
(@golobosguy)
Pup

Yep,  not long before the NCAA finds fault with both programs.  Cheaters never win in the end.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/20/2019 11:36 am