It’s “official” Van...

It’s “official” Vante Hendrix a Lobo  

RSS
loopsups3
(@loopsups3)
Lobo

Brookie knew about this one but for everyone that needs proof. Welcome Vante! 

https://twitter.com/vante_hendrix14/status/1108822831855353856

This topic was modified 4 months ago by loopsups3

Posted : 03/21/2019 2:23 pm
RR Rick, UNM Class of1972, Scott and 16 people liked
PaulWeir
(@paulweir)
Pup

It sounds like Vante wanted to be a Lobo after the Nevada game, but then visited and verbal'ed to Fresno. What was the deal there?

Anyway, Lobos can finally play Weir ball and I'm excited for next year.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/21/2019 2:29 pm
LoboMike
(@lobomike)
Member Donors

Worst kept secret for a while. Vante has the talent to do big things here.

We're loaded at the guard positions. Mix that with a motivated Vance Jackson and you could really have something. We need to shore up the inside, though. Can't be just Bragg providing defense and rebounding in there.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/21/2019 2:52 pm
bruiser and bmccrack liked
Riches6
(@Riches6)
Lobo
  • Welcome Vante!!! Officially.
ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/21/2019 3:03 pm
MaxLobo
(@maxlobo)
Member Donors
Posted by: LoboMike

We're loaded at the guard positions. Mix that with a motivated Vance Jackson and you could really have something. We need to shore up the inside, though. Can't be just Bragg providing defense and rebounding in there.

Bragg can't be counted of for much yet, until he get's the foul thing figured out.   Important piece of the puzzle, though. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/21/2019 3:54 pm
txlobo95
(@txlobo95)
Pack Leader
Posted by: MaxLobo

Bragg can't be counted of for much yet, until he get's the foul thing figured out.   Important piece of the puzzle, though. 

What does that show you about how precarious our inside situation is right now?  Karim bolted for Europe, Vlad regressed, and you never know what you get from Corey.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/21/2019 4:10 pm
26lobo26 and hippyboi liked
RJChez
(@rjchez)
Pup

When will he be eligible?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/21/2019 4:37 pm
brooklyn_esq
(@brooklyn_esq)
Member Admin
Posted by: RJChez

When will he be eligible?

End of first semester

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/21/2019 6:04 pm
catherine, Scott, JulieG and 2 people liked
hobo
 hobo
(@hobo)
Lobo
Posted by: txlobo95

What does that show you about how precarious our inside situation is right now?  Karim bolted for Europe, Vlad regressed, and you never know what you get from Corey.

To me our inside was a result of the 4-1 motion they played for the majority of the season.  It wasn't until late in the season, they started what looked like a 3-2 motion putting 2 men underneath. Everything progressed underneath - they started to go inside out, increased scoring in the paint, and especially rebounding. Bragg was starting to dominate; it seem to play more toward the strengths of Vance; and I even thought Vlad was able to bring value in his minutes.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/21/2019 7:01 pm
primordial, bruiser, RedSox87122 and 3 people liked
JulieG
(@julieg)
Contributer Donors

I will certainly take Carleton's rebounding and blocked shots next year and if he works on getting bunnies to fall it should be a great year for him. Not sure what the problem is with a bird in hand opposed to what in the bush?

JulieG
Loyal Lobo fan since 1962

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/21/2019 10:52 pm
primordial, wolf1960, RR Rick and 6 people liked
jbarr
(@jbarr)
Lobo
Posted by: PaulWeir

It sounds like Vante wanted to be a Lobo after the Nevada game, but then visited and verbal'ed to Fresno. What was the deal there?

Anyway, Lobos can finally play Weir ball and I'm excited for next year.

I don't think we had a scholarship at that time, but I could be wrong.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/22/2019 5:19 am
Lobo_for_life
(@lobo_for_life)
Pack Leader

Did I miss something? Did Manigault and Pinchuk both leave?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/22/2019 6:30 am
loboball30
(@loboball30)
Lobo

He can’t be counted in for much???

He almost averaged a double, double...

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/new-mexico/2019.html

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/22/2019 6:57 am
primordial, catherine, RR Rick and 8 people liked
MRLobo
(@mrlobo)
Master of the Universe Admin
Posted by: loboball30

He can’t be counted in for much???

He almost averaged a double, double...

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/new-mexico/2019.html

Lobo fans tend to be ridiculous.  Guy was obviously rusty after being out for so long, got screwed by the NCAA, adjusting to a new body after shedding 40lbs and I also heard a rumor he tweaked a knee that limited his explosiveness.  And he averaged nearly a double double but we can't count on him for anything lol.  Give him an off season of additional training and I think he can take that next step.  I sure hope we have him next season.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/22/2019 8:24 am
primordial, RR Rick, bruiser and 11 people liked
Doublealum
(@doublealum)
Pack Leader

Back to Vante - Along with many others, I would like to welcome him to the 505 and the Lobo Basketball "family."  I wish him a very successful college experience at UNM athletically, academically and socially.    

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/22/2019 8:52 am
primordial, RR Rick, bruiser and 8 people liked
BobOso
(@boboso)
Lobo

Has anyone seen him play ? What's his game, slasher/shooter/defense....  Highly ranked recruit, not a lot of video online from his time at Utah. Excited to see how he fits with JJ, Zane, Lyle, and of course KM and Dru. Looks like a lot of ball handlers. 

"I led the league in 'Go get 'em next time.'" - Bob Uecker

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/22/2019 10:59 am
LoboMike
(@lobomike)
Member Donors
Posted by: Lobo_for_life

Did I miss something? Did Manigault and Pinchuk both leave?

Tell me again how those guys do defending the paint and rebounding?

This team is the definition of a donut without Bragg. Luckily, he's still around and will hopefully clean up some of the foul issues. He could use some help, though.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/22/2019 1:33 pm
brooklyn_esq
(@brooklyn_esq)
Member Admin
Posted by: BobOso

Has anyone seen him play ? What's his game, slasher/shooter/defense....  Highly ranked recruit, not a lot of video online from his time at Utah. Excited to see how he fits with JJ, Zane, Lyle, and of course KM and Dru. Looks like a lot of ball handlers. 

slasher/shooter/defense  All three. ball handlers but more important physical. No doubt will be the most physical Lobo team since 1978.

In 1978 nobody lifted.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/22/2019 2:11 pm
JulieG, UNM Class of1972, Jacobsladder and 3 people liked
Doublealum
(@doublealum)
Pack Leader

In contrast to some here, I hope the group listed by Redsox is our team next year. I too, am excited & intrigued by the new additions including the guys that red shirted. However, I'm more relying on improvement and chemistry building by the returnees who, with the exception of Lyle, all have more D1 experience than any of the additions & as we saw this last season by the lack thereof, that experience is very valuable.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/22/2019 7:25 pm
Scott and RedSox87122 liked
txlobo95
(@txlobo95)
Pack Leader
Posted by: brooklyn_esq

slasher/shooter/defense  All three. ball handlers but more important physical. No doubt will be the most physical Lobo team since 1978.

In 1978 nobody lifted.

They have a high bar set before them.  Back in 96, KT, Spider, Clayton and company met Georgetown's Jahadi White, "AI" (Iversen) and company and got physically pounded.  White was an absolute beastman, about 300 lbs, keg barrel chest and strong as an ox.  Made KT look like a Mid School player, size wise.

The spring/summer that followed that loss for a ticket to the Sweet 16 was the most I ever remember any Lobo team collectively hitting the weight room.  The following year, 96-97, on average "each" player put on "at least" 10 lbs of solid muscle.

If you are saying this year's team is going to make that same commitment this spring/summer and come back strong as hell with 10+ lbs of muscle added to each player, then yes, I'd say next year's team has a chance to be really good.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1997_NCAA_Division_I_Men%27s_Basketball_Tournament

BTW, that 1997 team, the one all muscled up, was the closest any UNM team has ever gotten to advancing to the Sweet 16 in the modern era, losing by 1 sorry stinking point.  Spider had a 10 foot shot in the lane, point blank, but passed up the shot to David Gibson who threw up an over the head prayer that had no chance.  Sad part is, UL easily wiped out Texas in the next round by 15 and that could have been us advancing to the Elite 8. 

I still hold out hope that one day we will get there and collectively hitting the weight room like beasts is one way to help yourself get there.  Just look at the teams advancing in the tourney, they are either super skilled, super athletic or super physically strong or a combo of all 3.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/22/2019 9:17 pm
MRLobo, Scott, bruiser and 1 people liked
bruiser
(@bruiser)
Lobo

That's exactly how I remember it too TX.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/26/2019 9:43 am
wolf1960 liked