EPluribusUNM
(@epluribusunm)
Lobo

Krebs Indicted

Posted : 08/21/2019 1:46 pm
PaulWeir
(@paulweir)
Pup

Paul Kennedy is a great lawyer. Seeing all his high level clients get a night in jail and a fine, I'm sure Krebs is sleeping fine.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/21/2019 4:20 pm
Doublealum
(@doublealum)
Pack Leader

A good attorney helps and Balderas is (as have just about all AGs as they are also all politicians) not only doing his job but is also seeking publicity.  However, one needs to recognize that most crimes committed or alleged to have been committed fall to local DAs (exept appalette work which is handled by the AGs office and is being done now as usual without much fanfare) while it is more likely that political corruption crimes are handled by the AG's office.

While AGs (including Balderas) run on fighting crime, other than representing the state at the appealate level in criminal cases, that is a very small percentage of their job - for the  most part it is representing and advising varioius state agencies. 

I do take exception to the notion that "white collar" or political corruption are somehow less important for AGs or DAs to investigate and prosecute when warranted than blue collar crimes (burglaries, thefts, drugs, etc etc).  To me often it is the opposite as white collar crimes and political coruption have a much larger overall impact to society than one burglary (I recognize that is not the case to the individual victim).  In any event, I think it is a an "all of the above" approach that is needed when it comes to crime fighting but as citizens, imo, we need to recognize the different roles for the AG v the DAs.  Also, while Kennedy is a very good lawyer, the more likely reason a political criminal (not opining at all at this juncture whether Krebs is one or not - innocent until and unless proven guilty is the bible for me) or white collar criminal serves little to no time in jail has more to do with how we as society & judges perceive these crimes than who is the lawyer.       

This post was modified 4 weeks ago by Doublealum
ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/22/2019 10:53 am
Grit, AbqLobo, packman38 and 3 people liked
EPluribusUNM
(@epluribusunm)
Lobo

I've seen good arguments that the AG's case is weak.  They were based upon analysis by knowledgeable posters.

To say that elected officials only serve their reelection needs, or to say a good and very expensive lawyer will get him off may play well, but reveal narrow attitudes about Krebs, the UNM Athletic Dept. and our legal system. 

I have faith that a judge will determine whether both an expensive lawyer and attitudes about elected officials serving only their reelection goals prevail over evidence, arguments, and a Grand Jury indictment.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/22/2019 12:48 pm
RedSox87122
(@RedSox87122)
Lobo

It’s all BS. A total waste of time and resources.  Just an AG looking for pub, while not looking into countless crimes that really affect the lives of many. 

This post was modified 4 weeks ago by RedSox87122

“A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.” - Herm Albright

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/22/2019 5:33 pm
Lobo_for_life
(@lobo_for_life)
Pack Leader
Posted by: RedSox87122

It’s all BS. A total waste of time and resources.  Just an AG looking for pub, while not looking into countless crimes that really affect the lives of many. 

Yep.

Balderas showing what a tough guy he is. He's pretty sure he's making himself look good.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/23/2019 10:48 am
PaulWeir
(@paulweir)
Pup
Posted by: Lobo_for_life

Yep.

Balderas showing what a tough guy he is. He's pretty sure he's making himself look good.

A group of 15 jurors found there was probable cause to believe a crime was committed. Krebs did the classic dumb bureaucrat thing and tried to hide government business with clandestine emails. All it takes is one person to turn those emails over to land in the same pot as Krebs.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/23/2019 12:16 pm
UWS
 UWS
(@uws)
Pup
Posted by: PaulWeir
Posted by: Lobo_for_life

Yep.

A group of 15 jurors found there was probable cause to believe a crime was committed. Krebs did the classic dumb bureaucrat thing and tried to hide government business with clandestine emails. All it takes is one person to turn those emails over to land in the same pot as Krebs.

Well, grand juries almost always end in an indictment. It’s a fairly low bar. Rules of evidence are less stringent, the DA / AG presents the case, and there is no opportunity for defense to present its case. 

Remember the famous quote, “a grand jury would indict a ham sandwich if you asked it to.”

This post was modified 4 weeks ago by UWS
ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/23/2019 12:37 pm
Peacesells, LoboMike, golobos19 and 2 people liked
UNM Class of1972
(@unm-class-of-1972)
Pack Leader

All of the above is true even if you do not agree. Grand jury indicts. Balderas is a politician. Krebs has a good attorney. 

My bet is that Krebs will do the Spiro T. Agnew defense. He will serve a suspended sentence with  no jail time.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/23/2019 6:43 pm
AbqLobo liked
RedSox87122
(@RedSox87122)
Lobo
Posted by: UNM Class of1972

All of the above is true even if you do not agree. Grand jury indicts. Balderas is a politician. Krebs has a good attorney. 

My bet is that Krebs will do the Spiro T. Agnew defense. He will serve a suspended sentence with  no jail time.  

In your haste to list and claim all the above is true - you forgot to include the most important observation - “It’s all BS”.  

“A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.” - Herm Albright

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/23/2019 9:05 pm
UWS
 UWS
(@uws)
Pup

Right, no jail time. Pleads to a lesser, minor offense. Possible fine. 

IMO, Krebs was trying to help UNM, but made some poor decisions in doing so - but not enough to serve any actual jail time. 

At least it sends a message that UNM's employees will be held accountable for poor decisions. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/23/2019 9:24 pm
loborick
(@loborick)
Member Donors
Posted by: Doublealum

A good attorney helps and Balderas is (as have just about all AGs as they are also all politicians) not only doing his job but is also seeking publicity.  However, one needs to recognize that most crimes committed or alleged to have been committed fall to local DAs (exept appalette work which is handled by the AGs office and is being done now as usual without much fanfare) while it is more likely that political corruption crimes are handled by the AG's office.

While AGs (including Balderas) run on fighting crime, other than representing the state at the appealate level in criminal cases, that is a very small percentage of their job - for the  most part it is representing and advising varioius state agencies. 

I do take exception to the notion that "white collar" or political corruption are somehow less important for AGs or DAs to investigate and prosecute when warranted than blue collar crimes (burglaries, thefts, drugs, etc etc).  To me often it is the opposite as white collar crimes and political coruption have a much larger overall impact to society than one burglary (I recognize that is not the case to the individual victim).  In any event, I think it is a an "all of the above" approach that is needed when it comes to crime fighting but as citizens, imo, we need to recognize the different roles for the AG v the DAs.  Also, while Kennedy is a very good lawyer, the more likely reason a political criminal (not opining at all at this juncture whether Krebs is one or not - innocent until and unless proven guilty is the bible for me) or white collar criminal serves little to no time in jail has more to do with how we as society & judges perceive these crimes than who is the lawyer.       

I agree about white collar crime cases.  I did some investigations with the Tax & Rev Dept into tax fraud and embezzlement.  The local DA at the time did not want to bother with these cases, even though we had done most of the investigative work.  His deputy told me "we don't do white collar crime".  AGs are also elected and I suspected he viewed white collar crime as not flashy enough to get him big headlines, even though I was in the paper and on the news for a couple of cases I was investigating.

The DA would just give us a Letter of Declination and we would take the case to the AGs office, which would work with us in obtaining a conviction or a plea agreement.  Every case we referred resulted in a guilty verdict/plea agreement.

This post was modified 3 weeks ago by loborick

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/25/2019 2:47 pm
Grit, Peacesells, AbqLobo and 2 people liked
judas_priest
(@judas_priest)
Pack Leader

I used to do some White Collar Prosecution. I was an Assistant DA for 3 1/2 years - and an Assistant AG for about 1.5 years (boy was I glad to get out of that agency), but when I was an AAG I had no responsibility for criminal prosecutions.  I did help the AG's office in two cases in which some of the Motions that were argued dealt with some issues I had a strong background in.  By and large, most prosecutors' offices don't want to take on the tenuous and/or ambiguous cases - and most cases involving public officials fall into those categories.  The case against Norm Ellenberger was different, because they had him cold on the 10 counts of Making or Permitting a False Public Voucher.  (I think he was actually innocent of the other 10 counts, but a conviction on any one count was deadly for him, so he and his attorney, Leon Taylor, went for a jury pardon.  They didn't get it) 

I have no idea whatsoever whether the case against Krebs has the same level of certainty.  FWIW, I think Norm fell on his proverbial sword rather than turn on the people higher up in UNM administration who, I believe, knew damn well what he was doing and approved.   A lot of this reminds me of the stories my father used to tell about how supposedly amateur athletes got paid under the table (as he was).  "I'll bet your $300 you can't jump over that fence" when the fence was about 1 foot high.  The committee would play poker with the athletes, one at a time, one hand each.  Large ante, and then all the member of the organizing committee would fold.  Repeat.  Repeat.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/02/2019 7:53 pm
MRLobo and UWS liked
RedSox87122
(@RedSox87122)
Lobo

Oh Crap - Krebs was also playing poker with student/athletes?  Judas - is that what you are telling me? 😫 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/02/2019 7:58 pm
UWS liked