Next Year  

RSS
dbkirkp
(@dbkirkp)
Lobo

This year was tough,  but next year is encouraging.  

• Zane Martin should spark more scoring and help replace the hole left by Mathis.
  • PG issues will be solved as Drinnon has been stepping up and Lyle/Caldwell will bring help. 
  • Vance Jackson improved greatly at the end of the tournament, hoping for the better rhythm next year. 
  • Great expectations for Carlton. Drew Gordon's half-year with the team was rough.  The next  year he really gelled and the team excelled.  I expect that from Bragg. 
  • MM will hopefully get over the sophomore slump and fulfill promise he showed as a freshman.

Should be a fun one!

Posted : 03/15/2019 6:44 am
MRLobo, UWS, Remus Lupin and 17 people liked
brooklyn_esq
(@brooklyn_esq)
Member Admin
Posted by: dbkirkp

This year was tough,  but next year is encouraging.  

• Zane Martin should spark more scoring and help replace the hole left by Mathis.
  • PG issues will be solved as Drinnon has been stepping up and Lyle/Caldwell will bring help. 
  • Vance Jackson improved greatly at the end of the tournament, hoping for the better rhythm next year. 
  • Great expectations for Carlton. Drew Gordon's half-year with the team was rough.  The next  year he really gelled and the team excelled.  I expect that from Bragg. 
  • MM will hopefully get over the sophomore slump and fulfill promise he showed as a freshman.

Should be a fun one!

This is a simple yet enlightened post. Add Martin and Hendrix, and Caldwell will be the best point in the MW and I am done.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/15/2019 6:49 am
UNM Class of1972, wolfman, abqpianist and 6 people liked
wolf1960
(@wolf1960)
Member Donors

Next year hopefully Coach Weir changes the style of coaching, he has the potential to be the coach the PIT fans expect. 3rd yr !!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/15/2019 8:07 am
Pmixmaster
(@pmixmaster)
Pup

Im glad you are excited about NEXT YEAR , the famed lobo motto . Well not this lobo fan. we can have all the talent in the world and this coach wont know what to do with it,  ala Dave Rice. Weir might be a great guy and smart but it doesn't mean x'sand O's. bottom line is for me there is no excitement or buzz around the program and we are in a downward spiral and dont have much to look forward to. Much like this season next will be filled with unreal expectations and will based on 2 years of what ive seen with weir will again end in a 500 effort. 

Especially if he goes back to the full time press. Frankly it may work against a few teams but for the long haul it doesn't work and impedes your offense way to much. There is a reason that the other 350 D 1 schools dont press that way . Another 8 months of nothing to look forward to as it relates to lobos . Weir has another 500 season nunez will have to make a move but sadly i still dont think he would even after one more bad season weir will TALK his way into another year. That is all weir is good at is talking no practical application of his so called hoops knowledge 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/15/2019 8:08 am
808LOBO liked
brooklyn_esq
(@brooklyn_esq)
Member Admin
Posted by: Pmixmaster

Im glad you are excited about NEXT YEAR , the famed lobo motto . Well not this lobo fan. we can have all the talent in the world and this coach wont know what to do with it,  ala Dave Rice. Weir might be a great guy and smart but it doesn't mean x'sand O's. bottom line is for me there is no excitement or buzz around the program and we are in a downward spiral and dont have much to look forward to. Much like this season next will be filled with unreal expectations and will based on 2 years of what ive seen with weir will again end in a 500 effort. 

Especially if he goes back to the full time press. Frankly it may work against a few teams but for the long haul it doesn't work and impedes your offense way to much. There is a reason that the other 350 D 1 schools dont press that way . Another 8 months of nothing to look forward to as it relates to lobos . Weir has another 500 season nunez will have to make a move but sadly i still dont think he would even after one more bad season weir will TALK his way into another year. That is all weir is good at is talking no practical application of his so called hoops knowledge 

Pmixmaster I think you are totally wrong. I’m inviting you to sit with me courtside in the Pit early in the season. We will watch together and the  truth will be told. PM me with your contact info and we can set it up.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/15/2019 8:20 am
MRLobo, UNM Class of1972, 26lobo26 and 7 people liked
Lobo_for_life
(@lobo_for_life)
Pack Leader

I think I'm with the majority of Lobo Nation who can see next year ending up anywhere from a dumpster fire to an NCAA at-large quality team. In spite of what we saw last night and the second half against a poor Wyoming team I honestly don't think a wall-to-wall full-court press is practical for almost any D-1 team. Like the previous poster pointed out no D-1 coach does it. There are good reasons.

My fear is another Weir "eggs-all-in-one-basket" approach that achieves less than desirable results. And one also has to wonder how many of the kids with an available red-shirt year will decide they will be better off somewhere else.

However, Weir is a smart guy and we should have terrific talent and much better overall experience, so for me it's a great big "we'll see".

This post was modified 2 months ago 2 times by Lobo_for_life
ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/15/2019 8:32 am
808LOBO liked
Doublealum
(@doublealum)
Pack Leader

From my observations of D1 b-ball over the last 50 yrs. +, I have come to think about it in the following ways:

1. While there is a difference in talent level between teams, it is small - all of these kids are much larger than average, have much better coordination than average, are quicker than most their size, etc., etc. There is a difference but its not night and day type difference Occasionally, you get the complete bust or the "ooh wow" exception but in the main, they are all excellent talents and prospects.

2. All coaches at this level know basketball inside and out.  They don't get to this level without an unbelievable amount of basketball knowledge.  Just think about how rare it is to be in the top 300+ in any profession.

3. While during a season, there are teams that succeed more often than others and reach higher levels of achievement, the difference between them and those that don't is pretty slim - a blowout game is 20 pts but most games are decided by significantly less than that. 

3. It seems to me that coaching at the college level is really another form of teaching but you have an entire class of very special students and ones that have become accustomed to being the "best" and "privileged" because of it. 

4. Other than those rare instances where exceptional talent abounds, usually, the teams that really succeed are those that: a)

have one or two very good players with even more talent than most;  and b) are able to have a group of players who while in the past were always the best, recognize and have the maturity at this young age to "buy in" to subjugating their normal "privileged" position to the good of the whole - a very tough thing for a young person to learn and a very tough thing for a "teacher" to teach.   

For me, I see next year's team as possibly having those one or two very special talents but the HUGE question will be whether the maturity and willingness to subjugate oneself for the good of the whole will occur - that is on our coaches and the young men themselves.  As a long time fan, I will as always be hopeful that next year will see those two things develop but will enjoy watching what evolves.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/15/2019 9:18 am
jomera, AbqLobo, Peacesells and 8 people liked
LoboMike
(@lobomike)
Member Donors

Vance can be the best player in the conference if he decides to bring that energy and effort every game. So hoping for big things from him.

Lyle, Martin, McGee and Hendrix are all scoring guards. Manigault likes to score. People are talking about how you have to get Bragg the ball more. Already mentioned Vance. Also have MM who will hopefully improve. Only one ball to go around. So more talent is good, but Weir will have more egos to manage and guys who want to be the man.

Let's see what the final roster ends up being. I think we need some more help inside for sure.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/15/2019 9:25 am
AbqLobo, ricoLobo, RedSox87122 and 5 people liked
Red Blazer
(@red-blazer)
Pup

No matter what and no matter who come back next year the defense has to be better. Way better. I'm hoping for a top notch assistant coach that can teach man to man defense, the full or half court kind. We can not give up 80 plus points and beat anybody good. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/15/2019 10:49 am
JulieG
(@julieg)
Contributer Donors

This is fun time of year for me as it enters the speculation phase for the Lobos. I enjoy trying to figure out what lineups work and what players will exceed or, at least, be as good as advertised. It will be a tough year in sorting out playing time I am sure, particularly on the guard line. We'll see who might leave and if they do whether we will get what we want to further make the Lobos better.

I think the sky is the limit if we can get it all together. I see that Weir has seen that a varied defense works, I expect to see numerous approaches used to stop the other teams, not just one. I think Weir learned a lot this year and I also think there are solid players coming back, even the bad mouthed ones. We are moving into the slow season around here, but luckily for me we are just about to begin the Rockies season:-)

JulieG
Loyal Lobo fan since 1962

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/15/2019 11:53 am
AbqLobo, LL_Lobo, Red Blazer and 3 people liked
jbarr
(@jbarr)
Lobo
Posted by: wolf1960

Next year hopefully Coach Weir changes the style of coaching, he has the potential to be the coach the PIT fans expect. 3rd yr !!

If all these players stay and are focused, I actually think the team will be a better fit for his pressing style.  He will have long, athletic guards that are a must for his press.  The press against USU last night worked pretty well, it forced 23 TO's from USU.  I thought PW playing 2 point guards at the same time was actually a smart idea.  I think there is a lot to really look forward to next year if these guys all buy in and buy in early.  I think PW will be refocused and I fully expect a much better season.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/15/2019 12:57 pm
MRLobo, Lobo2x53, AbqLobo and 3 people liked
the_pole_28
(@the_pole_28)
Lobo

I do worry about mass defections during the offseason. If everyone comes back, this team has the talent to compete for the league, but Weir really needs to retain guys like Drinnon and Lyle.

I really dont want Weir to have to restart his rebuild in year 3

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/15/2019 2:18 pm
AbqLobo and 808LOBO liked
hobo
 hobo
(@hobo)
Lobo

To me the first change(s) is Assistants Harriman and Mason need to go, and hire two new assistants with even greater college game experience.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/15/2019 6:16 pm
LoboAuto liked
LL_Lobo
(@ll_lobo)
Pup
Posted by: JulieG

This is fun time of year for me as it enters the speculation phase for the Lobos. I enjoy trying to figure out what lineups work and what players will exceed or, at least, be as good as advertised. It will be a tough year in sorting out playing time I am sure, particularly on the guard line. We'll see who might leave and if they do whether we will get what we want to further make the Lobos better.

I think the sky is the limit if we can get it all together. I see that Weir has seen that a varied defense works, I expect to see numerous approaches used to stop the other teams, not just one. I think Weir learned a lot this year and I also think there are solid players coming back, even the bad mouthed ones. We are moving into the slow season around here, but luckily for me we are just about to begin the Rockies season:-)

Cough ** Go Dodgers ** Cough

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/15/2019 7:09 pm
JulieG liked
Pmixmaster
(@pmixmaster)
Pup
Posted by: hobo

To me the first change(s) is Assistants Harriman and Mason need to go, and hire two new assistants with even greater college game experience.

I agree with hairman he needs to go. But we can't lose bmason no way he's the recruiter

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/15/2019 7:10 pm
JulieG
(@julieg)
Contributer Donors

I think that Weir may go back to what he originally wanted to do and that was run. I don't see 7-9 rotations, I think more like 10-11. I don't think he'll press all the time, but, it sure is a change when he does. It certainly is going to be different.

JulieG
Loyal Lobo fan since 1962

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/15/2019 10:11 pm
AbqLobo liked
rick7g
(@rick7g)
Lobo

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/15/2019 10:38 pm
steelerlobo
(@steelerlobo)
Pup

The best post I read concerned bringing in another assistant that can aide in offensive sets.  This and a strong emphasis on defense will go a long way in next years success. Shooting was not very good this year so at least on paper next years additions look very promising, I just hope that they just relax and have fun instead of putting to much pressure on themselves which seems to hinder their progress.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/16/2019 8:50 am
hobo liked
dbkirkp
(@dbkirkp)
Lobo

PG issues were big this year. Not only that,  but when Tone was at SG, he had trouble getting open and creating space. It caused a lot of issues on offense.  That issue should be resolved.  Much work to do in other areas,  but the floor should be much higher.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/16/2019 9:57 am
Lobo_for_life
(@lobo_for_life)
Pack Leader

I sure like Vance Jackson at point-forward. He is a match-up nightmare. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/16/2019 10:04 am
Red Blazer, RedSox87122, ComeOnNow and 4 people liked
ricoLobo
(@ricolobo)
Lobo

Reminds me a lot of the Danny Granger days. 

I think if Vance puts in the work, he might put up Grangeresque numbers. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/16/2019 12:21 pm
NightWolf
(@nightwolf)
Lobo
Posted by: Pmixmaster

I agree with hairman he needs to go. But we can't lose bmason no way he's the recruiter

Agreed.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/16/2019 2:35 pm
lobojacket
(@lobojacket)
Pup

I am always amazing how easily some people can call for others to lose their job.  I wonder if they know how hard it is to both terminate someone or be fired?  I've experience both.  It's gut wrenching.  More specifically, if one hasn't been to over half the practices and meetings. and sat on the bench during games, I don't think they have the information to make the firing decision.

Rant over.  Go Lobos.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/16/2019 3:09 pm
RedSox87122, brooklyn_esq, Doublealum and 4 people liked
hobo
 hobo
(@hobo)
Lobo
Posted by: dbkirkp

PG issues were big this year. Not only that,  but when Tone was at SG, he had trouble getting open and creating space. It caused a lot of issues on offense.  That issue should be resolved.  Much work to do in other areas,  but the floor should be much higher.  

I believe Weir missed the opportunity by not making Drue Drinnon the permanent starter at PG during the better part of the conference season.

I thought Drue shined during the MWC Tournament as a PG and quarterback, and he even deserved more minutes. With a lost season during conference play, why not just give the reins to Drue? 

When Alford came, he started Dairese Gary at PG, who wasn't always the greatest as a freshman. But during Dairese's sophomore conference season, Dairese solidified his future as one of the greatest PGs in UNM history. Giving Dairese the reins as a freshman was a major factor in his maturity.

I just see the potential with Drue, and wished during a lost season we committed even more time with Drue.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/17/2019 5:21 am
pitforever90
(@pitforever90)
Lobo

"I believe Weir missed the opportunity by not making Drue Drinnon the permanent starter at PG during the better part of the conference season."

I think you should also consider the possibility that Weir's use of Drinnon during the season is what helped him have a couple of his best games during the MW tournament. I don't think he was ready to be the #1 PG this year, and he also missed a chunk of time with the concussion during conference play.

Statistically, Drinnon did not have a better year than Mathis or McGee. I think he needed the time and bench role to really get comfortable with the systems. Mathis had the top PER for guards (same as in 2017/18) and McGee was #2.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/17/2019 7:27 am
wolfman, JulieG, RedSox87122 and 2 people liked
Lobo_for_life
(@lobo_for_life)
Pack Leader
Posted by: steelerlobo

The best post I read concerned bringing in another assistant that can aide in offensive sets.  This and a strong emphasis on defense will go a long way in next years success. Shooting was not very good this year so at least on paper next years additions look very promising, I just hope that they just relax and have fun instead of putting to much pressure on themselves which seems to hinder their progress.

I, too, am a Steeler Lobo. So good to meet you.

As for the shooting, running better half-court offense (where are the perimeter screens?!) alone cures that. However the new guys (a couple of whom we've been looking forward to for a long time) will help also.

As for the self-imposed pressure, look at Paul Weir's demeanor when at its worst as being a huge factor in that. If he can channel his own focus, which we all know he can do, then good things could happen.

Go Lobos! Go Steelers!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/17/2019 10:52 am
Red Blazer
(@red-blazer)
Pup
Posted by: Lobo_for_life

I sure like Vance Jackson at point-forward. He is a match-up nightmare. 

Vance needs to play better defense. He started to rebound better and when he takes it hard to the hoop instead of settling for threes he is outstanding. A lot of the easy buckets in transition were Vance not getting back on D. Love his game but improvement on D is paramount. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/17/2019 8:35 pm
hippyboi liked