Post game thoughts

Post game thoughts  

RSS
LaVidaLobo
(@LaVidaLobo)
Lobo

1. 3-14 from the field from Mathis will not win us any games. In fact, probably will lose every game if that is his stat line.

2. Team needs to capitalize on turnovers and any advantage in foul count. Ball should be pushed inside to let Manigualt and Bragg go 1 on 1 to put pressure on the defenders to either give up a score, or create contact and foul shot opportnities.

3.  Mathis had a very bad game all around. Besides shooting poorly, he also had bad passes that gave up transition opportunities for UNLV. As a 90% FT shooter, you can't miss FTs in the last two minutes of games. 

4. Menzies made half time adjustments to break our zone D, we should have countered with something different as well.

5. Seems like we get a technical called against in every game nowadays. That needs to stop.

6. Telling stat in the 2nd half was how poorly we were shooting and how good UNLV was shooting in contrast. The graphic showed us with 28% or something and them with 64%. You will not win games with that type of disparity. Hell Duke probably wouldn't beat their opponent on any given night if that was the stat line for them and their opponent.

7. The first half was good. The start to the second half was bad. The final 3 minutes were UGLY. We had several opportunities to cut the lead down, but could not make a shot when we had to.

8. I knew the game was over when Mathis was fouled and went 1-2 at the line, then Manigault did the same.  We scored, but we were still down 2. Had those FTs been made, it would have been a tie game. Then, we were down 4 and give up the open 3 to Clyburn. Lights out, game over. In a close game, that sudden shift in momentum was a killer.

9. The Lobos had a real chance to put themselves in prime position for the league title and really let this one get away tonight. Very disappointing. 

10. I think the Lobos will rebound from this loss and go on a winning streak, but this one stings. 

Posted : 01/08/2019 11:28 pm
hippyboi, RedSox87122, PaulWeir and 3 people liked
Lobomaniac2018
(@lobomaniac2018)
Pup

Outhustled. Ourebounded. Outcoached plain and simple. Still had fun at the Pit. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/08/2019 11:35 pm
hippyboi, Hoser, Pinon Nut and 1 people liked
LoboMike
(@lobomike)
Member Donors

The Mathis stuff will be dissected to death. Right now, this team goes how he goes and it shouldn't be that simple. There is other talent there.

Bragg and Manigault are good, and Weir is trying to stress getting the ball inside, but those guys also take a lot of bad shots. Just because you get them the ball, it doesn't mean any shot they take is a good one. Weir needs to teach them the difference. UNLV was missing their top three big men tonight and yet they held their own in there against the UNM bigs.

The ups and downs continue with this team. So much depends on matchups because this team doesn't have a real identity of its own. Other than Mathis' shooting when he has it going. At some point, maybe we can win a game when Mathis doesn't have a big night.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/08/2019 11:36 pm
BrutusXXX, loboball30, RedSox87122 and 2 people liked
Lobo_for_life
(@lobo_for_life)
Pack Leader
Posted by: LaVidaLobo

1. 3-14 from the field from Mathis will not win us any games. In fact, probably will lose every game if that is his stat line.

2. Team needs to capitalize on turnovers and any advantage in foul count. Ball should be pushed inside to let Manigualt and Bragg go 1 on 1 to put pressure on the defenders to either give up a score, or create contact and foul shot opportnities.

3.  Mathis had a very bad game all around. Besides shooting poorly, he also had bad passes that gave up transition opportunities for UNLV. As a 90% FT shooter, you can't miss FTs in the last two minutes of games. 

4. Menzies made half time adjustments to break our zone D, we should have countered with something different as well.

5. Seems like we get a technical called against in every game nowadays. That needs to stop.

6. Telling stat in the 2nd half was how poorly we were shooting and how good UNLV was shooting in contrast. The graphic showed us with 28% or something and them with 64%. You will not win games with that type of disparity. Hell Duke probably wouldn't beat their opponent on any given night if that was the stat line for them and their opponent.

7. The first half was good. The start to the second half was bad. The final 3 minutes were UGLY. We had several opportunities to cut the lead down, but could not make a shot when we had to.

8. I knew the game was over when Mathis was fouled and went 1-2 at the line, then Manigault did the same.  We scored, but we were still down 2. Had those FTs been made, it would have been a tie game. Then, we were down 4 and give up the open 3 to Clyburn. Lights out, game over. In a close game, that sudden shift in momentum was a killer.

9. The Lobos had a real chance to put themselves in prime position for the league title and really let this one get away tonight. Very disappointing. 

10. I think the Lobos will rebound from this loss and go on a winning streak, but this one stings. 

As usual no Plan B (once the zone was getting torched).

I'd go with another off-beat zone as a change-up. My choice would be the 1-3-1 with trapping between the wing and the point and trapping in the corner with the wing and the baseline guy, who can roam sideline to sideline depending upon which side the ball is on. My middle school kids actually ran it somewhat effectively when we used it.

Need to not put all the money on one horse.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/08/2019 11:47 pm
 Anonymous

Outcoached.
Outcoached by goofball Marvin Menzies.

The second half tonight was as bad a half as I have ever seen.

And Nevada was a fluke. Losing by 35 at the Aggies ain't nothing compared to what we are in for on Feb 9th.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/08/2019 11:51 pm
Dr.ShrimpPuertoRico
(@dr-shrimppuertorico)
Pup

Zone wasn't working. Mathis needed help at PG. There was literally no adjustments made. Tell me one adjustment made tonight....I'll wait...

Coaching is what lost this one for us.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/09/2019 12:04 am
hippyboi, Pinon Nut, Gonzlobo and 2 people liked
txlobo95
(@txlobo95)
Pack Leader

Menzies took the play straight out of last years weir playbook.  They wore down our backcourt, meaning mathis, and there was nothing left in the tank in the final 5 minutes.  I think tone had 3 to's in quick succession.

Mathis is overwhelmed.  Too much ball handling/minutes combo, which affected his shooting.  Need more help in back court with playmaking duties.

This post was modified 5 months ago by txlobo95
ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/09/2019 12:28 am
hippyboi, Gonzlobo, RedSox87122 and 3 people liked
Lobo_for_life
(@lobo_for_life)
Pack Leader

Folks, he gets the need for another ball-handling guard. 

My fear is that he will continue to try to "fix" the pentagon-shaped 2-3 zone and continue to get torched by the types of things that did it last night (high-low posts, high ball screens, etc.). Keep it in the bag of tricks because it has shown that it can work well, but develop a change-up. Give them something else to deal with!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/09/2019 6:01 am
Lobo94
(@Lobo94)
Pup

Not here to pile on and have purposely stayed away because I have faith that Weir will right the ship come MWC tournament time, but... For the life of me I can't figure out what the purpose of our offense is. Mathis dribble at the top of the key until 8 seconds left in the shot clock then try to dribble past a quicker defender? No screens on his defender, no backside pick and roll and the other 4 players are just left watching. Surely at this level there is some sort of offense we can run. I think the 3-2 defense has cured some of our issues but now we need to address our ability to create offense.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/09/2019 7:56 am
theulis, buddy love, ziavber505 and 5 people liked
LoboLen
(@LoboLen)
Pup

I too believe the zone has helped our defense but I cant figure out why we ran a 3-2 zone against a team that doesnt shoot well from the perimeter. Offensively, i kept wondering when Dru was going to spell Mathis in the 2nd half.. AM looked exhausted and the guy guarding him was bothering him ALL game! 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/09/2019 8:20 am
Scott and JulieG liked
lobolyn
(@lobolyn)
Pup

A win like the win we got against Nevada is emotionally and physically exhausting. We looked a little tired. I still think we look like a much better team than even a week ago. Ultimately, we just did not make the shots that we made on Sat. Mathis will be hassled the rest of the season, so we will need to make game adjustments to find other ways to score. 

The no call on UNLV when that guy landed on Vance shooting a 3 was the dagger. Instead of shooting 3 free throws, the Rebels go down and make a 3, which was a 6 point turn-OUCH! And, the offensive foul on Maluach was ridiculous!!!

I am confident that we will like this team as the season goes on, coach and players are working hard and learning as we go. Our adjustments and improvements in practices between games is evident, however, I would like to see more adjustments and changes within the game as the game develops and our opponents make changes. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/09/2019 8:39 am
abqpianist, Scott, ziavber505 and 2 people liked
A1loboPt2
(@a1lobopt2)
Pup

Plain and simple our offense looks so unnatural. Mathis thought he was on the warriors last night.  He took bad shot and tried to force too much. Our offensive sets were very slow to get started cuz he was running the point. The pressure that unlvs pg put on him forced some bad decision making. There was a time at the 3min mark when Mathis looked to weier for the play to run and coach was not even looking at him. Then Mathis got flustered and forced a TO. He is a great player but tonight we got exposed. Unlvs has smaller faster guards and time after time we continue to struggle with those players. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/09/2019 8:48 am
Lobo94 liked
Laszlo
(@Laszlo)
Lobo

Then they were practicing this morning at 5 am.  The importance of sleep is becoming better understood, and having the guys back at practice six hours after a game ends means they will be behind on sleep for days.  We also have a bunch of 8 pm and 9 pm starts coming up, so this seems to be working at cross purposes. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/09/2019 8:59 am
BrutusXXX, Lobo94, ziavber505 and 4 people liked
Riches6
(@Riches6)
Lobo
Posted by: Lobo94

Not here to pile on and have purposely stayed away because I have faith that Weir will right the ship come MWC tournament time, but... For the life of me I can't figure out what the purpose of our offense is. Mathis dribble at the top of the key until 8 seconds left in the shot clock then try to dribble past a quicker defender? No screens on his defender, no backside pick and roll and the other 4 players are just left watching. Surely at this level there is some sort of offense we can run. I think the 3-2 defense has cured some of our issues but now we need to address our ability to create offense.  

Yep.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/09/2019 9:32 am
Lobo94 liked
JulieG
(@julieg)
Contributer Donors

Tale of two games-Three point shooting is how we won the Nevada game, 56% from the three in that game with Tone shooting 80% from the three. Vance shot 43% and in this game was a no show from the three, taking only 2 shots and making none. Tone was even more than a no show for him, shooting 20% which should be his lowest shooting percentage in the last two years with over five shots I would imagine.

If Tone is not hitting we are in deep stuff and we should expect Jackson to shoot and hit more like 35%. Tone played 38 minutes last night on top of 35 in the Nevada game. That is a lot of time on the court for him in particular and basically for anyone on this team. He was exhausted in the last five minutes in the game and it showed.

We need to have other zones to use for sure. Certainly it became obvious last night that there was a hole at the top of the key. However, going to a zone five games ago it is obvious that it is a work in progress. Weir needs to use Dru much more and McGee if he is available. Dru did fine from what I saw in his 7 minutes on the court and deserves more time on the court.

Last, but least this team is improving and has quite a bit of potential to continue to get better, but we will have to do it with what we have on this team.

JulieG
Loyal Lobo fan since 1962

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/09/2019 10:14 am
Lobo94, ziavber505, abqpianist and 1 people liked
A1loboPt2
(@a1lobopt2)
Pup

Here’s a thought... 2/3 zone instead of 3/2. Don’t beat a dead horse. Adapt to the in game situations.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/09/2019 3:43 pm
Lobo94 liked
bmccrack
(@bmccrack)
Lobo
Posted by: JulieG

Tale of two games-Three point shooting is how we won the Nevada game, 56% from the three in that game with Tone shooting 80% from the three. Vance shot 43% and in this game was a no show from the three, taking only 2 shots and making none. Tone was even more than a no show for him, shooting 20% which should be his lowest shooting percentage in the last two years with over five shots I would imagine.

If Tone is not hitting we are in deep stuff and we should expect Jackson to shoot and hit more like 35%. Tone played 38 minutes last night on top of 35 in the Nevada game. That is a lot of time on the court for him in particular and basically for anyone on this team. He was exhausted in the last five minutes in the game and it showed.

We need to have other zones to use for sure. Certainly it became obvious last night that there was a hole at the top of the key. However, going to a zone five games ago it is obvious that it is a work in progress. Weir needs to use Dru much more and McGee if he is available. Dru did fine from what I saw in his 7 minutes on the court and deserves more time on the court.

Last, but least this team is improving and has quite a bit of potential to continue to get better, but we will have to do it with what we have on this team.

Actually, Anthony only shot 5 of 14 from three against UNR. His 80% clip was at the free throw line. Mathis was 7 of 19 total against Nevada.

If you're counting that's 2 awful shooting games back to back.

This post was modified 5 months ago by bmccrack
ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/09/2019 5:58 pm
hippyboi
(@hippyboi)
Pup

Let's be a bit realistic here.

"He is a great player"

"If you're counting that's 2 awful shooting games back to back"

No way Mathis is a great player. He is a very good shooter, which is why 5/14 or 36% from 3 is disappointing, but awful? No way.

Mathis was never meant to be a starting pg and leading scorer. How many guys are? I think he is doing really well for the situation coach has put him in. Coach needs to lesson the load on Tone and trust Dru.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/11/2019 10:39 am
bmccrack
(@bmccrack)
Lobo
Posted by: hippyboi

Let's be a bit realistic here.

"He is a great player"

"If you're counting that's 2 awful shooting games back to back"

No way Mathis is a great player. He is a very good shooter, which is why 5/14 or 36% from 3 is disappointing, but awful? No way.

Mathis was never meant to be a starting pg and leading scorer. How many guys are? I think he is doing really well for the situation coach has put him in. Coach needs to lesson the load on Tone and trust Dru.

• 7 for 19 total is 37%. In my book that's awful. Making 5 and missing 9 threes also qualifies as awful for Mathis given that shooting is his reason for getting PT. If he was a 37% shooter on a nightly basis (and he was worse against UNLV) he would not have the other skills to justify his PT.  When you're a shooter who's far from elite at everything except shooting do better.
ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/11/2019 8:00 pm