What is that defens...

What is that defense we are running?  

RSS
Golobosguy
(@golobosguy)
Pup

For the world of me I cannot figure out what defense we are running when in the zone.  It looks like a 1 3 1 but they keep calling it a 2-3.  I watch Syracuse's 2-3 and it looks completely different.  Our defense leaves the baselines wide open and has a gaping hole in the middle of the key.    

Posted : 02/22/2019 9:35 am
Doublealum
(@doublealum)
Pack Leader

Best I can tell it is attempting to be a “match up” zone - defend areas but with tight man to man principles. Therefore it “morphs” from a standard 2-3 at times

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/22/2019 9:51 am
Scott liked
JulieG
(@julieg)
Contributer Donors

Actually that would be great if we can't identify the defense because seemingly the opposing team cannot either:-) It generally appears to me to be a 3-2.

JulieG
Loyal Lobo fan since 1962

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/22/2019 9:53 am
Doublealum
(@doublealum)
Pack Leader
Posted by: JulieG

Actually that would be great if we can't identify the defense because seemingly the opposing team cannot either:-) It generally appears to me to be a 3-2.

Funny but unfortunately, it appears that real b-ball players and coaches (as opposed to armchairs like us) have definitely figured it out - lol.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/22/2019 7:50 pm
JulieG
(@julieg)
Contributer Donors

I think our defense has gotten better, what appears to have happened is our offense is stuck in reverse.

JulieG
Loyal Lobo fan since 1962

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/22/2019 9:40 pm
Scott liked
Dr.M
 Dr.M
(@dr-m)
Lobo

I think our defense has gotten better, what appears to have happened is our offense is stuck in reverse.

I agree. Our defense has improved significantly. It’s been our offense that has lost us very winnable games, particularly the turnovers.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/22/2019 10:56 pm
TheLoboMan
(@TheLoboMan)
Lobo

Matador

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/24/2019 10:42 am
Scott
(@Scott)
Pack Leader

The number of "matador defense" plays in recent games has dropped significantly.
Yes, it's basically a match-up zone. Syracuse uses it and McCarthy used it at State very successfully.

I fully agree that by far our biggest issue is offense.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/25/2019 10:17 am
JulieG liked
MaxLobo
(@maxlobo)
Member Donors
Posted by: Golobosguy

For the world of me I cannot figure out what defense we are running when in the zone.  It looks like a 1 3 1 but they keep calling it a 2-3.  I watch Syracuse's 2-3 and it looks completely different.  Our defense leaves the baselines wide open and has a gaping hole in the middle of the key.    

I think the problem with the "hole in the middle" has gotten much better....teams were really exploiting that when we first switched to the zone around the beginning of MWC play.  

I think its supposed to be like the old Tark (or Lute) amoeba zone.....a morphing 2/3 zone where a guy has to flex into that middle spot when he's on the week side. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/25/2019 10:48 am
JulieG and Scott liked
loboball30
(@loboball30)
Lobo
Posted by: Dr.M

I agree. Our defense has improved significantly. It’s been our offense that has lost us very winnable games, particularly the turnovers.

While we are no where near being a good defensive team, the defense is getting better. 

But you are right, the turnovers are killed both on offense and on defense. 

It is also the teams inability to get easy shots ever.  We rarely get clean, close looks at the basket. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/25/2019 11:42 am
JulieG and Scott liked